From boats back to boats and down the coast in s/v Mimi Rose

Started by marujo_sortudo, May 06, 2010, 11:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marujo_sortudo

Hello all!

I've been searching your forums here and reading about your travels and I finally have set up an account.  I really appreciate the philosophy and look forward to contributing to the community.  My boating adventures are getting ready to unfold here shortly and, as you can imagine, I'm totally excited!  Here's my story so far:

I first had a tiller in my hand at either the age of 2 or 3 when my family was doing weekend cruises on the coast of Brazil in the plywood catamaran my dad had built in our backyard on the outskirts of Rio while my parents were in the Peace Corps.  It was a beautiful, simple, little boat, and I could totally see a sailfar'er on her today were it not for the fact that she met her demise many years ago after we returned to the states, and the person to whom my dad left her care allowed her to quickly rot away, alas, not an uncommon fate for a wooden boat in the tropics.  I'll try to scan some pics of her eventually, as I don't know the name of the design.

After Brazil, we lived in Vermont for a couple of years, and then moved to Castine, Maine when I was in the middle of first grade.  Here we would often go out fishing on a 10' aluminum skiff with outboard or sail a friend of family's 14' dory with the sail my dad had sewn for it.  Eventually, he built two more boats, a 8' plywood flat-bottom sailing pram of unknown design, and a 10' lapstrake sailing dinghy designed by William Atkin which I still have today and taken down to the bare wood this winter to renovate.  (Oh, and there was the 9' milk jug sailing raft that we built one weekend and that I spent a goodly part of my summers on.)  I plan on using the lapstrake dinghy as my tender, but more on that below.  Here is the design and she does have a sprit rig, as pictured:

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Dinks/Vintage.html

Six years of playing in sailing dinghys on Penobscot Bay and then 2 years of sailing off of Beaufort, NC where we later moved gave me pretty decent experience with small boats.  It would seem that I was destined to be a sailor from an early age, but then my dad died while building another boat in Brazil:

http://thenina.com/ (that's another story, but you should definitely see her if she's anywhere near you)

and my mom and I moved inland to the mountains of Virginia where there was hardly a pond worth rowing on, and the coast seemed always just a bit too far away.  Over the next 17 years or so, I was lucky if I sailed even once a year, and it eventually got to the point where I had to be reminded what the difference between a sheet and halyard was.  About 3 years ago, I decided that enough was enough, and it was time to bring boats back into my life, and many circumstances had conspired to release the mountains' hold on me.  I moved back to the coast of Maine and starting playing with boats again.  It's hard not to fall back in love with them up here, and one thing led to another, and I decided to the cruising life a try.  I love the philosophy of cruising simply, living at anchor, preparing almost all your own food, having a boat with few ammenities to repair so more time can be devoted to sailing, etc.  I did get seduced by a boat that's a bit bigger than I need (and certainly what I would call big -- but other's might not), but I hope to find fellow sailors to join me in my adventures and share the dream that way.  I'm sure you know how it is when a boat catches your eye.  I won't be getting her in the water till the end of the month, yet, and I haven't even sailed her (bought on the hard) so this is a pretty exciting month for me.  I've been catching her up on maintenance this spring even though she had been well cared for, and I've been completely renovating the Vintage to be my tender.  Some pics of work in progress are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarscolin/BoatWorkInProgress#

Here's pics of Mimi Rose:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarscolin/MimiRose#

And the pics are here, too, with a description of how she has been outfitted; although, I'll be making some minor changes:

http://pagetraditionalboats.com/mimirose.htm

So, my plan now is this.  I'll spend the summer sailing up here in Maine and get my experience with a bigger boat up to par and learn the skills associated with cruising that aren't really necessary for short, local sails.  Then, come early Sept., I'll take her south slowly joining the procession down the East Coast, but trying to go a bit out of the way where possible and find all the anchorages the crowds miss.  I'll be looking to meet up with and sail with like minded souls on the way down.  Final destination unknown, but perhaps I will just complete the coast migration this year.  I do have eventual thoughts to perhaps cruise to Brazil (the land of my birth), but that's still a far off idea.  And of course, the whole time, I'll be working with whatever Internet connection I can pull in to write software while I'm in this or that anchorage and keep the funds coming in that make this dream even remotely possible.

Anyway, I look forward to many interesting discussions on here and hopefully meeting some of you where it's best, on the water!!

Cheers, Colin

PS  Speaking of on the water, I'll be sure to post more pics when I get both boats in the water, esp. the one with me smiling so much it hurts ;)

Tim

Welcome aboard Colin, thanks so much for sharing a little about yourself and the picture links. Certainly sounds like you will fit right in here, looking forward to your progress getting back on the water.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

jotruk

Welcome aboard, that was a great intro and I will be lookin g farward to seeing you with salt water under your feet here's a grog for ya
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

marujo_sortudo

Thanks for the welcome, all.  I look forward to entering into many discussions here. 

marujo_sortudo

Hey all, I thought about starting up a gallery for our cruising so far here, but then we already started this facebook page earlier this year.  Lots of photos up already; although, I still have plenty more to add (only up to Irene so far.)  It's been a great season cruising the Maine coast and we hope to get in lots of sailing before we haul out in 2-3 weeks.  Here's the link if you want to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mimi-Rose/188527351196141

You don't need a facebook account to view it, as it's a public page.

Jim_ME

Colin, Just looked at your facebook page and one set of photos. Beautiful. And what a lovely sailboat. Congrats on your great season, and fair winds for the remaining weeks. Looking forward to checking out your other photos, and following your cruises and activities there in the future.

-Jim

mrb

I kind of agree about the fire extinguisher, but there are a lot of close seconds.  Can tell you have had a great summer, Many Fair sailings for you and your crew.

marujo_sortudo

Well, we spent a lot of time working on the boat this spring.  So much so that launching was delayed until Friday, July 13th. Guess we're not superstitious.;). Lots of new pictures, etc., on our Facebook page and all the prep has been devoted to hopefully making it south this year. Destination unknown, but hoping for at least NC and possibly much further.  Hopefully, we'll get to meet up with some sailfarer's along the way!

Godot

When you get down to the Chesapeake I would love to meet you, crew, and boat. I'm in Baltimore.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Cruiser2B

Stop and have a beer at Little Creek. Nice little 1 boat anchorage by our marina. Have a great trip!
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

marujo_sortudo

Thanks for the invites, and we'll be glad to try and meet up with fellow sailfarers anywhere we happen to make it to.  Hope to get to meet both of you.  Excited to finally be getting underway..

marujo_sortudo

Well, it's official.  We've gone the furthest we've ever gone.  We crossed our first state line and are now in Portsmouth, NH for a few days.  Not far by many measures but still pretty exciting for us!  From here, we'll try to make pretty good time down to the Chesapeake and then start lollygagging down the coast as we chase Internet connections to keep our work lives going at the same time as we cruise.  Cheers!

Godot

It was good to meet you (Colin & Anne). Mimi Rose is a beautiful boat.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

marujo_sortudo

Great to meet you too, Adam.  Hopefully, we'll get another chance to get together before we move on.  Baltimore is quickly becoming one of our favorite ports.

Captain Smollett

Caught up with Colin and Anne of S/V Mimi Rose today for a pleasant, if too short,  visit in Oriental, NC.

Fair winds you guys as you travel North!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

marujo_sortudo

It was great to meet you, too, John!  We just got on the town dock this morn, so we'll probably be around a couple of days taking advantage of the great shore access.  If you're in the area or would like to see the big boat, feel free to drop by!

Cheers, C + A

CharlieJ

If ya'll want to see the boat, here's a link to the Oriental town dock web cam-

http://www.towndock.net/harborcam/
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera