Boating in Maryland now....

Started by Coastal Cruiser, February 08, 2006, 09:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coastal Cruiser

February 8, 2006
The Nanny State Comes to the Chesapeake

QuoteHouse Bill 140 is a deplorable and intrusive bit of legislation that would require every individual on a boat to wear a personal flotation device (PFD) while the boat is underway. This bill not only requires the boat's operator to wear a PFD but also specifically "prohibits an individual from operating or allowing the operation of a vessel while there is present in the vessel an individual not wearing a PFD..." and "[applies] regardless of [an individual's] age or size of the vessel.
"

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-2_8_06_TRB.html

LauraG

Captain Smollett

Ah, the old boating version of the seatbelt law....

Warning:  Nonpartisan Political Rant Ahead

This seems to me to be a tried and true political strategy.  This PFD issues comes up about every year (somewhere), gets beat down, only to appear again.  Each time, it seems to get closer to passing, as the 'opposition' either loses steam or interest.  Eventually, I fear, it will pass.

I've seen it here with several local issues.  One such is a hotel/motel tax that one city has been trying to pass for several years.  Each year it gets closer and closer.  No one wants it but the politicians, but people get tired of voting "no", attending town meetings to sound off about it, etc, and as they drop out of the process, the vote result swings.  I think zoning issues are other areas where this strategy is seen a lot.

Disgusting.  I thought we had representative government, not "hound them until we get our way" government.

End Rant

Anyway, I will pass this along to some other boaters groups I know so that they can keep an eye out for it.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Kailyst

What a CROCK of Politician dung!!!! So how do we Maryland Boaters fight this???? Inquiring minds want to know!!
We're all here because we're not all there.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Kailyst on February 09, 2006, 11:39:13 AM
What a CROCK of Politician dung!!!! So how do we Maryland Boaters fight this???? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Well, there are a number of things one CAN do; if any of it will matter in the long run is another question.  But I think there is value in the attempt.

• Tell as many boaters as you can, both in your state and elsewhere.  Tell them to not only vent and fume about it, but to TAKE ACTION.  Call, write or visit yatch/boating clubs, marinas and post on web sites. Spread the word, so people KNOW it is happening.  These kinds of things are often done "in the dark."
  • Write your local representatives in state government a carefully worded letter outlining that you (a) oppose this legislation and (b) WHY you oppose it.  If the why can include a negative financial aspect, so much the better.
  • Maybe start a letter writing or email campaign.
  • Research the web to find sites, like this one and TSBB where this issue has been discussed by boaters.  In your correspondence with the politicians, include links to these discussions to show them that this is not "what the people want.'  So much the better if they are discussions of Maryland boaters.
  • If you can afford it, buy newspaper ads or radio time.  See if you can get the radio or TV stations to do a story about it to raise awareness.  Perhaps the radio station(s) would do a PSA spot.
  • Start (or see if one already exists in your area) a non-profit foundation or organization to fight it.  This takes a bit more work, but grassroots organizations like this can carry a LOT of political power.
  • Contact Boat US, US Power Squadrons and/or American Sailing Association (or others) to see what, if any, position or involvement they have on this issue.

That's just a few I of my head.  Some take more work than others, but just remember, the politicoes HATE "us" to be (a) organized and (b) involved.  They LOVE "us" to be acquiescent and passive.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AllAboutMe

Hi all,
New member here.
If my reading is correct, they've amended this bill to read only commercial boats and ferries (taxis) so that it shouldn't affect us as private sailors. I hope that's what they meant!! I'm in Virginia, but less than 100 miles separates me from the great state of Maryland, and Virginia would probably be next in line for this intrusive legislation.
Fair Winds,
Larry Wilson
Urbanna and Deltaville, Va.

Captain Smollett

I wondering about that.  As for requiring pfd use on ferries and ALL commercial boats...

(1) Unenforcable.  Are they going to make the ferry operator stop the boat if some teenager he cannot see takes of the pfd?
(2) Kids; you have to have a properly sized PFD, so will they carry a good supply of ones for children?  What if a school bus load gets on board?
(3) What about cruise lines (even smaller vessels)?

There is a LOT of commercial traffic in the Chesapeake.  I cannot see how this is enforcable or practical in any way.  Chalk it up to politicians looking for feel-good laws that give the appearance of doing 'something' to stop bad things from happening.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

starcrest

margo says it will get in the way of her pontoons.besides they have made her quite buoyant enuff....I will totally agree to the fact that all persons on any aircraft should be mandated to wear at least one emergency type paracute at all times...perhaps waivers of liabilty should be signed by passengers...
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

CapnK

My guess -

Even tho the law may be amended to read that it only applies to commercial traffic, and even tho it may be basically unenforceable, it's a foot in the door for the politicos.

Give the gov't an inch, and it'll take a mile.

If they get this passed into law, it is just the first step towards making all boaters wear PFD's all the time. Think of the money this will generate in tickets the first few years! Why think of that?

Because that is what the politicos are thinking of...

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)