News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tangier Island

Started by Rockdoctor, February 09, 2006, 11:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockdoctor

I am interested in visiting Tangier Island in the Chessie Bay. I hear that their english dialect is the closest to the original english settlers in the US. Anyone sail that area?
I am old-fashioned. I prefer a sail-boat to a motor-boat, and it is my belief that boat-sailing is a finer, more difficult, and sturdier art than running a motor.  Jack London

Kailyst

We anchored offshore overnight back in September when we were sailing Milenka to Middle River. Didn't have time to stop and visit as we only had a short time to get our girl home, but maybe this Season we will be able to go back and visit. There's a good article in the most recent Lats & Atts magazine.
We're all here because we're not all there.

Coastal Cruiser

Actually they take offense to the foreigners that visit their shores, saying that they can't understand those folks that seek anchorage along their beachheads.

There are plenty of those funny talking folks along the eastern seaboard, all with a form of their dialect. I am probably the only one in our area that sounds normal. ;)

oded kishony

We're also planning a trip to Tangier Island. I was thinking of tying up at a marina and exploring the town for a day or two.
Any recommendations?

I went to College at St Mary's where I learned to sail. It's a beautiful spot with lots to see for a day or two. Just up the Potomac a ways.

Oded Kishony ~~ __/) ~~

AllAboutMe

If memory serves, there is only one "marina" more of a dock for the fishing fleet, but cruisers are welcome. Anchoring out can be a chore. Not alot of protection from wind, or currents. Recommended entrance is on the Eastern side of the island. Western entrance is tricky and shallow.
I haven't been yet, it's high on my want to do list. I've heard from others that the accent isn't as pronounced as it once was. The kids attend school off island, and television has softened the accent.
Larry Wilson
(new member)

Rockdoctor

Thats too bad that TV seems to chipping away at the unique character. I like to visit places because of geology, or interesting population. I will either take the mail boat or trailer mine down if I can find other interesting things to add to my itinerary. Thanks
I am old-fashioned. I prefer a sail-boat to a motor-boat, and it is my belief that boat-sailing is a finer, more difficult, and sturdier art than running a motor.  Jack London

starcrest

do they pay taxes? are they kinda like the amish?ou know no fotos,no booze,no pre- or extramarital---you know or are they so primitive they sacrifice virgins into volcanoes?not to be offensive but those mormons----no booze no tobacco,no drugs----well they make up for it with all those women.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Rockdoctor

I think it is a dry island, but non volcanic also. What I find interesting is that it was in isolation, and their english is most similar to that which was spoken in this country at the start. It can be difficult to understand. AllAboutMe mentioned that the dialect is fading away, so perhaps only the oldest generation on the island still maintains it. I have a teacher friend that uses interviews from that island to demonstrate the evolution of our language, and how we are moving into another generation of text type language like LOL (laugh out loud), B/C (because), OMG(oh my god), IMHO(in my humble opinion), etc. You would be surprised how many of my students submit work using that type of language. There is a dictionary if you need to decode
http://www.lingo2word.com/lists/acronym_listA.html
Parents should be aware of alot of these to be able to keep up with their kids activities, it is like they have a new language entirely

Coastal Cruiser

This is a nice read, but does not do justice to what you still can experience visiting the island. My wife used to fly in to do school nursing into the island 15 years ago. Visiting in the summer and in the winter will give you two completely different points of view of the true character of the place.

http://www.chesapeakebaysampler.com/TangierIsland.htm#history

starcrest

at least its not that bastardized english that they call ebonics.if you think that place is isolated you should look up Pitcairn Island .it has its own website and quite a sordid history
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

US33155

Took the ferry out with my wife and son a couple of years ago...  Very friendly people, but a bit quiet/reserved around the touristas.  Rented bicycles and rode around the island for an afternoon.  Spoke to various locals, and didn't think the local accent was all that pronounced.  Didn't see anything that resembled a marina, so if you don't find a "tie-up" plan on anchoring, and try to stay out of the way of the local watermen, remember that they're working for a living and boating is not a liesure time activity for them.  Unless you are investigating the local culture, you'll see everything that's there in a day, but a quiet, relaxing one.  Have fun!

CapnK

Sounds a bit like Daufuskie Island, down by Hilton Head, and the Gullah people.

As I understand it, post Civil War, land ownership on Daufuskie reverted to the slaves who lived there. Access to the island is still available only by boat. The island remained in their hands up until the late 80's/early 90's, when developers finally pulled off some Tax shenanagins in order to wrest control of the island away from those who had lived there for the past several hundred years (yes, that pisses me off!). Now it is turning into a - you guessed it - Golf Resort (blech!), and the unique way of life of people who lived alone and isolated on a coastal sea island is melting away to memories.

The novelist Pat Conroy went there and taught in the school back when he was just out of college. He wrote a small book about it named "The Water Is Wide" (which was turned into the movie "Conrack"), it is a pretty funny and interesting read.

"Gullah" is a mish-mash of language and dialect spoken by primarily black folks who live isolated down here in the Lowcountry. It is almost unintelligible if you aren't familiar with it. I can only understand some of it.

Someday, maybe everyone will be just alike...

(I hope I am gone by then!) :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)