News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

ligquid nails

Started by wallo9, July 25, 2010, 02:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallo9

As many know I'm in the process of refitting my old venture and I'm knew to all of this but it's coming along learning to work with the differant adhesives is a study in it's self but I never here anyone mention liquid nails on the the tube it says it's water proof as i have used it plenty of times with good results is it O.K. to use at least top side on the boat?

CharlieJ

As a retired pro boat builder, I would recommend not on the liquid nails.

Might work ok, might not. Why chance it?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Of course Charlie is correct, but just to reiterate, often when they say something is waterproof they mean it can get wet and hold its strength IF it dries out right away. Construction adhesive "Liquid nails" will give way with repeated exposure.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

wallo9

Wellthose are good answers, even though it is a trailered boat if the water got under the glass it would become soggy with no holding power. Thanks

Steve Bean

If one  has access to liquid nails, a body of water, and some boatbuilding  materials such as wood and fiberglass, it would be pretty easy to conduct an experiment.  Join some of the materials with the liquid nails, let it cure, and put into the water.  I just might have these things myself...
Steve

newt

Whats wrong with 5200 or 4200? If something is not broke why fix it?
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

s/v Faith

Quote from: newt on July 29, 2010, 11:59:13 AM
Whats wrong with 5200 or 4200? If something is not broke why fix it?

I suspect the problem with the 3M products is their cost.... I know that is why I use PL sealant (polysulfide).

It is approximately 25% of the cost of marine branded products and is (IME) the same thing.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

For more info on the merits and problems with various sealants please see;

Silicone; Dont use it and why.

... and for the love of all that is good....

NEVER use silicone on your boat!*   :o

*Disclaimer: this advice does not apply to bedding ports (where there is NO contact to fiberglass... or the use of RTV on engine parts... but that is about it...

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

I'd point out that 3M 4200/5200 and silicone sealants have very few legitimate uses on a boat. For any above-the-waterline hardware that is through-bolted, I generally recommend Butyl Tape, rather than anything else. The exception is if the fitting is exposed to fuel...since Butyl Tape is damage by petroleum products.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 04, 2010, 08:14:30 PM
I'd point out that 3M 4200/5200 and silicone sealants have very few legitimate uses on a boat. For any above-the-waterline hardware that is through-bolted, I generally recommend Butyl Tape, rather than anything else. The exception is if the fitting is exposed to fuel...since Butyl Tape is damage by petroleum products.

Must disagree on the 4200- my sealant of choice in almostmall my boat work.5200 also has some usesbut not asany for sure.
Butyl tape can be hard to find also, depending on where you are.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 04, 2010, 08:14:30 PM
I'd point out that 3M 4200/5200  have very few legitimate uses on a boat. 

I'd point out that I'd never be without it  ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

The problem I have with 4200 is one of quality control. Many places don't sell enough of it and it starts to cure in the tube from what I can tell.  It is very expensive, and once opened has a fairly short shelf-life.  Butyl Tape almost never goes bad, is a lot less costly and is much easier to use IMHO.

5200 has few legitimate uses, like bedding the hull-keel join, but other than that it is far too agressive and strong an adhesive.  It should never be used on parts that may need to be removed at some point in the future, and if the parts are through-bolted, it isn't necessary to have the strength of 5200's adhesive bonding most times.  Also, it isn't as flexible or elastic as butyl tape.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

newt

Practical sailor just had a write up. They did like 4200, but maybe I should be more flexible...
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

CharlieJ

Two points on both 4200 and 5200.

Always squeeze the tubes before you buy if buying small tubes. If the tube is even a little hard, pass on it. A newer tube will feel soft.

Secondly, once opened, store the tubes (caulking gun tubes too) in the vegetable crisper of your refrigerator. They'll keep for months there.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: CharlieJ on August 05, 2010, 04:30:02 PM
Two points on both 4200 and 5200.

Always squeeze the tubes before you buy if buying small tubes. If the tube is even a little hard, pass on it. A newer tube will feel soft.

Secondly, once opened, store the tubes (caulking gun tubes too) in the vegetable crisper of your refrigerator. They'll keep for months there.

True, but most stores only have a limited supply and usually all of them will be bad.  Also, can't squeeze the caulk tubes.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Steve Bean

High cost and limited shelf life are my main objections to 5200.  I'd like to try butyl tape.   
I just removed some white bedding compound from the ironwood toerails on my Samson C-Mist 32, built in 1976.  It seemed like Dolfinite and was still soft and workable after 35 years.   

Auspicious

I use 4200 for just about all the adhesive/sealant needs on my boat. My local West Marine stores all have a lot of turnover so I buy the little 3 oz ($$$) tubes there. For big jobs planned ahead I get the big tubes from Defender.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

carl762

Home Depot, Lowe's and some hardware stores sell 3M products at prices a lot less than West's and other chandleries.   Amazon's prices are up there with the marine supply places.   I and two friends use 5200 on our boats, with success. 

Actually, I'm betting good auto supply stores would have it as well.  

I'd like to try some Butyl tape sometime.  

Great tip on keeping tubes stored in the vegetable crisper. 
Sundance 23 - inSanity

CharlieJ

Most WalMarts also carry the 3M products.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Locutus

Sorry to necropost this thread but I'm a new member and came across this and have a related question.

From what I gather, the consensus seems to be that silicone is the Devil, butyl tape is Jesus, 5200 and 4200 have their specific uses, and liquid nails is just plain not appropriate for any marine use.

I have a couple of deck plates I need to install.  They're the white plastic 4" round opening type used for inspection ports.  The instructions say to use only silicone sealant around the perimeter (along with three screws).  The West Marine salesman thought that other sealants might damage the plastic.  But with silicone being Satan and all, I thought I'd substitute butyl tape instead.  Any thoughts on this?