News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Where to this season?

Started by Solace, February 10, 2006, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solace

As this season gets closer (I know some of you haven't stopped sailing) plans get fine tuned. Just wondering what major trips this year you have planned. If you're like me you probably have one trip planned that you intend on burning up your vacation time with.
Though I've done it twice before, we (my two teenaged girls and I) plan on sailing to the 1000 Islands again this year. It seems we will have lots of company this year as a few boats are planning on making the trip with us, some for their first time.

If you've never been there, or never even heard of it (perhaps you thought the salad dressing name was ficticious), it is located at the furthest eastern end of Lake Ontario, where it meets with the St. Lawrence River. There are over 1600 rocky islands scattered throughout this region which straddles the US/CAN border - its a great place to hone your navigational skills. With so many islands if you don't know exactly where you are you can easily run aground (and its all rock) between the islands. It is very picturesque in a rugged way and a hit with cruisers every summer. That's our plans, its not the Caribbean (yet), but that's the biggie for this year - looking forward to hearing your plans for this season.

Cheers!

John

CharlieJ

Working to get Tehani really up to snuff for a passage from the Texas coast over to Florida and return, all offshore.

We did the same trip last spring, but all inshore since we left two days after we launched, just after her full rebuild. So we weren't in offshore condition. This year we WILL be.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

CJ - I was looking at the pilot charts last night, with y'all in mind. This is probably a dumb question but - Have you checked them? Looks like y'all will have some long beats! I make your trip length to be about 550 miles, right? Pilots show a Force 4 wind from the E and SE for about 50-60% of the time in May, with a slight increase in southerlies for June. Here's hoping the June patterns set in soon this year! :) I'm sure y'all would rather reach for 4 days than beat for 6. ;D The good part would be that downwind/offwind run back home...

My plans include possibly sailing/cruising alongside CJ and L for a couple of days when they get over by the Panhandle, then later in the year I want to take Katie Marie down to at least Savannah (maybe on the Ditch), and return offshore. A trip up the coast to Cape Fear may also be in the cards for sometime in the fall. Not to mention as many daytrips and weekenders as I can fit in... :)

Solace - When is your 1000 Islands trip planned for?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Yep- we figure to be jammed up tight on starboard for at least the distance out to the 100 fathom line. Then perhaps we can free our wind just a tad til across the delta. After that we look to come onto a fair close reach to P'cola.

Have to get out to the 100 fathom line to get outside all the rigs off the Louisiana /eastern Texas coast

Southerlys would be nice- say 10- 12 knots? Easterlys would be a real killer.

But that first 100- 150 miles is gonna be a long bash to weather- can't be helped getting off the Texas coast and heading east. Heading south, we'd be on a long bash to weather on the PORT tack :)

Of course we COULD motor down the ICW to Port Isabel and jump out there- gets us several hundred miles of southing that way, but makes a longer trip.

We'll probably just grit our teeth, sheet her in and let her drive for a day or two. :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Solace

CaptK - We haven't yet chosen the dates for the 1000 Island trip, but I'm loosely planning around the first two weeks in July. I realize its the heavy season as far as boaters, but going earlier generally means the water is not yet warm enough to swim in and August the winds start to quiet down.

I have several boats that want to come along - anyone else interested?

Cheers!

John

Didereaux

Charlie,
  Didn't find what kind/make/model of boat you are sailing.  I am based in Clear Lake(Galveston) with a Cape Dory 25 that I am in the process of fitting out for a direct run(hah) across to Tampa in late fall.  Am going to try and catch an early 'norther' and avoid a late twirler.

I certainly agree with your assessment of the long tacks.  I am still looking for updates on the deep wells which are there, which damaged etc from last years blow downs. 

If all goes approximately(yeah right) to plan I will do the thing solo.  Certainly not a first in this boat model.  Ed Campbell of the 'Texas Guide' did it a couple or three times, including a shot on around to the Bahamas...now that would be nice!

am planning a long weekend shotr down your way to Matagorda later this Spring...where youholed up at?

didereaux

Didereaux
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

CharlieJ

Didereaux- The boat is a Rhodes Meridian 25. We keep her in the city marina in Port Lavaca.  We ourselves live in Magnolia Beach which is south of PL, on the shores where Lavaca Bay meets Matagorda Bay.

Campbell kept Cassiopia there just down the dock from us til Rita threatened. He's since moved to Galveston.

Well- we don't live ON the shore, but across the marsh from it- so we get the view with out the sand :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Didereaux -

Good plans, *great* quote. Karma pop! ;D

I gotta get a book of Menckens writings - every quote I've read of his has been awesome. :D

Looking forward to hearing more about your CD25, too!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

starcrest

the marina inlake okechobee was never rebuilt since the 2004 hurricane  jean destroyed it.out of 60 boats,ten remained afloat.mine was one of them.the lake water piled up on  the east side and wreaked havoc-----the slips lifted off from the pilings----there is another place more protected from storm surge but its 12 miles further  north.its on the canal that encircles the lake---its called the "rim canal" and it is lined with waterfront trailer parks.I camped out at one before I had this boat----its Gods Country---the water is locked in---a very small body of water----looks like they  have room for me----its called "bobs big bass rv park" they have a website you can look it up---I will be there during the off season----they will have  lotsa seawall space---10 bux per foot per month---just temporary---ya know botze can and do travel----
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

starcrest

actually there been a major change in plans.every idea I had got shot down.therefore this season I am headed to Las Vegas to stay with family members.hmmm---lesseeee---take I95 to I 10 west----this should be great gps fun----then some time down the road is southern california-ya know I always wanted to sail to hawaii-Ive been told the way back is not all that fun---I will have to find out for myself------I do not care to be here for another hurricane.for the last 2 years theres been one after another---each one following almost the same path as the last----in 2004 francis and jean----then in 2005-- katrina and wilma------all four devastating the area where I live(d)and so I hear its gunna get wirse b4 it gess bettuh
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"

hearsejr

I was considering a jump and go cruise somewhere prior to leaving for the Bahamas. that's when I find out I have like a month between the doc visits and spend like 28 days on a joy ride in my new boat. no plans just go where the winds blow...well maybe to Oriental atleast once more. lol.
Bill

starcrest

does any one know if I 10 is clear all the way across? or is there deep water still in katrinaville???

CharlieJ

I-10 is open all the way. By the way- when you come through Texas on I-10 you'll be about one and one half  hour north of us.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

hearsejr

I think there is a website you can go too and find info on the roads and such. I'm not sure what the addy is but I'll search for it tonight when I get home.
Bill

starcrest

thanx 4 the info.I cant believe I will be living in a house sleeping in a bed and using a real toilet---what-- with a real bath tub too-???--I may need some serious therapy to cope with this new life adaptation.----no joy soap needed to  shower off---no eating  beef stew cold--out of the can-----(reminiscent of "skippy chunks")---I dont know----I may miss the waterfront lifestyle----but then I will just remember the pure misery of that first five days back---

hearsejr

bet you go in to the bed room and add a head, some storage areas and a bunk that doubles a eating table, and you'll feel right at home. lol.
Bill

Skipper Dave

Started a new job last year so not enough vacation for a big trip so we are  going on about five long weekend trips one up the coast to paradise cove drop a hook and spend the weekend and my birthday.  The others are a series of trips with our yacht club to Catalina for different functions.  It will be a lot of fun and of course we can't miss Bucaneer Days and Cruisers Weekend(L&A) in October.  So even with limited vacation days it looks to be a great summer of sailing.

------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Pixie Dust

Skipper Dave, I love doing long weekends!  It gives you lots to look forward to throughout the year and it is amazing how refreshing it is when you have to report back for duty.   :)  Mini trips are great!

I plan on doing a week and 1/2 in May- heading west to Pensacola to hopefully meet Sailfar's own talented CJ and Laura.   Looking really forward to that adventure!!    That area is beautiful and the company will be top notch. 
I also usually do a fall trip as well, thinking about a crossing to Tarpon Springs. 
I try to sail and anchor out most weekends throughout the year. 
Then after Christmas, I plan on dropping the lines and heading South, then East, then South for 6 months to 1 yr.... or until the money runs out.   ;D  Hopefully I can meet some of you guys along the route. 
I am in the thick of getting PD...and me  :D ready for that adventure.  Excitement and a little overwhelmed does not begin to describe my present state of mind. 
I think I am going to put my house on the market in June.  That will eliminate any worries in the interim other than where do I want to sail and what do I want to eat.  (oversimplified, I know)  BUT it will be wonderful to be a little footloose and irresponsible for at least 1 yr out of my life.      ;D :D ;) 8)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Zen

s/v Zen will be ready soon for her spring sailing season. A few minor things I want done before filling her sails. The major being removing the old name and re-naming offically. The name removal is in the process of completion,  T-shirts are printed, now just need the Printed name to place on her

I have discovered a new sail destination. A marina, that is close enough, yet far enough. It will be the stopping point/turnaround for several mini adventures this year. Also in the making are 3 over nighters, to other somewhat local spots. Avg 4 - 6 hr sail. This will be my first real sailing season with s/v/ zen as most of it last year was doing replace/repair/fixup of the new purchase.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

starcrest

if you are planning to stop in morro bay there is a transient slip in the middle of the bay.if in fact you go there---be sure to tie off very securley to this floating dock---the outward tidal current is extremely strong---if not tied up securely enuff it will pull your boat off the cleats---as it almost did to mine when I was there.also from what I can remember that harbor entrance is not very boater friendly during extreme tidal changes.the term"barred over" comes to mind.if you are going to ventura or channel islands harbor send me a personnal message.I am now living not far from the california coast and depending upon when you are there I may be able to meet up with you