7,567 miles from Chicago to Berkeley

Started by s/v Faith, February 12, 2006, 01:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

I know I have mentioned this before, but having just spent the better part of the afternoon, and evening reading the excellent log of this journey I have a couple thoughts.

First, let me clarify.  This post is about the Pearson Commander 'Faith', not the Pearson Ariel 'Faith'.....    ;)

THis is an incredible log of the trip, and the fact they made it is quite a testimony to the crew, and to the 40year old boat they sailed.

I think it has a lot to say for the 'Sailfar' idea of cruising on small boats.  ;D

There was little (no?) mention of any 'off shore' mods done to the boat, yet it endured everything short of a hurricane with no serious failures other then the steering casualty (and that not a catastrophic failure).

"Faith faired well, as she always does in seas of this type. Technically, the event was a knock-down: her mast went over on its side so far that the starboard spreader (the crossbar a little more than halfway up the pole) was dipped in the brine while the starboard combing (to which Eric still clung to the forward portion) allowed copious amounts of water to spill over. With two thousand pounds of lead in her full keel, the little Pearson Commander is designed to pop right back out of the water when this happens and that is just what she did. Within the space of three seconds from total prostration Faith had righted herself and was back on course. Man, I love this boat!"

The log was so well written, what a wonderful gift! To have shared the voyage, bringing us along.

As I formulate my plans, and endure the sideways glances of those who believe they 'know better' I am inspired.

Lord willing, I hope to share the adventures of the (Ariel) Faith, till then
Thank you Captain Sean, and the bold crew of the (Commander) Faith......   ;D

Lark of Faith website]
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

starcrest

no matter what the cost of such a venture all the money in the world can not replace what is personally gained by it.even if they do it again,it will never be as good as the first time
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Zen

Indeed a grand adventure!

Starcrest has been there,

so who's next?... ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

CapnK

The story of "Faith" is a good read! I've read up until they were almost home, I need to finish that last leg...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

starcrest

actually what I did was not quite the same.my jaunts were strictly offshore with less time involved. (3 months at a time)not quite the same as what was done by the lark of faith.if you ask me what they did was more time intensive and probably more costly in the end.most of my expenses occured before hand------there was no place to spend money in the middle of nowhere----most of the expense I had was in the preparation-----that windvane alone at that time was 1200 dollars----branspankinnu---at that time----then there were the haul-outs----the LP paint,the dodger-----the rigging------thats where most of my expense was.and most of all was the studying------what I did was akin to an expedition to the moon and back------no stoppin' off---- for a burger.stopping here---stopping there-----slip fees here slip fees there----the only slip fees I had were in alawai boat harbor---I think it was 3 dollars per day----and in radio bay hilo---the first few nites were free----not quite the same as  down the waterways and along a coast------much much different.I had a taste of this recently ---I brought my current boat from cape canaveral to where it is now----along the ICW.we stopped here we stopped there---refueled along the way-----
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"

starcrest

I still wanna know how did thet come  up with that last 7 mile accuracy.they musta had that gpx off for at least a while.I dont know exactly how many  miles I did....I round it out to about over 15000,+/- 2-300