News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

We started

Started by Mario G, November 02, 2010, 08:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario G

We made it to Ft Pierce with a few days of favorable winds, hit 8knts at times and because the first mate made friends with the owner of Riverside boat yard the last time we were in the area and could get some parts at cost did an oil and transmission fluid change. Started out the next day and because we had to fight the current we motored untill the alarms went off...Oh $$hit what did I do wrong? Checked everything and nothing seemed wrong. Water and a little smoke from the exhaust but I figured because I just poured oil in the top of the engine that was normal. We sailed till we could anchor then being a retired grease monkey I started ripping the cooling system apart. I did start by diving to clean out the thru hull but found nothing there and the filter looked clear.  Seams sea grass collected at the elbow, only took taking the whole system apart to find it...what away to learn about your cooling system.

We are now in Miami and might cross from here to the Bahamas.

We thought about going back down to Boot Key but might find someone to cross with from here.

CharlieJ

Congrats you two.. Man I wish I could make that jump with you. I loved the Bahamas.

Sounds like you are aiming for West End. Have a ball.

Maybe another year I'll make it back.

Keep in touch
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Mario G

We did the Miami boat show again had to get some lower shrouds made up, what a difference. We are coming back up the coast again still taking our time. We did get to see the Ex presidential motor yacht Honey Fitz when we dropped anchor in West Palm beach, if I were in to motor boats it would be on my want list.

Will post pictures when I am not using air card

Mario G

We are sailing the Ca few hesapeake area now. its been very warm and little wind, but we have been able to check out a few areas. Visiting with family in the Annapolis area and looking at alot of boats. This last Sunday a lightning storm followed the low front that was bring cooler temps. I thought I was safe sitting in the cockpit watching the storm move past us to the north but saw the steering wheel light upand got sapped by a bolt of electricity. It took a second to get my marbles aligjned then jump in the cabin. It felt like getting hit by an old car coil( 15,000 volt area) From now on you will find me hanging out in the cabin if I see the first sign of lightning.

there seems to be no lack of places to sail around here and when I lived here 15+ years ago I knew nothing about it.

Mario G

Finished work at the boat yard  in Annapolis last Friday and headed down the coast this Tuesday. Plans this winter are to make it to the Bahamas with a few stops along the way to visit Capt.k and Captain Smollett & family.

So far the Chesapeake has been flat with just enough breeze to sail 2 to 4knots at the best. forcast for 10=knots of wind for the start of this weekend with a chance of rain, but we hope to be in Norfolk before it gets bad.

Hard to believe that it will be 2 yrs end of October since we originally moved aboard and started out.

Mario G

Tomorrow will be our 2 year anniversary  ;D and the saying "Time flys when your having fun" really seems to fit.

Just looking forward to year 3 and the adventures it may bring.

CharlieJ

Quote from: CharlieJ on November 23, 2011, 08:00:41 PM
Congrats you two.. Man I wish I could make that jump with you. I loved the Bahamas.

Sounds like you are aiming for West End. Have a ball.

Maybe another year I'll make it back.

Keep in touch

To re print an older post of mine from almost a year ago and again, congrats to you both. 
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cruiser2B

Quote from: Mario G on October 27, 2012, 09:28:33 AM
Tomorrow will be our 2 year anniversary  ;D and the saying "Time flys when your having fun" really seems to fit.

Just looking forward to year 3 and the adventures it may bring.

congrads, you guys still in the chesapeake?
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Mario G

Believe it or not we are on the west coast of Florida right now( Ft, Myers) we had some good sailing down to Boot Key then around the west side.  Not going any further north, its just gotten to cold ;D.

Mario G

Stayed about a week in Ft Myers, then set south again. Anchored at Gorden pass were we had 3 tour boats( 1 a sail catamaran) circled our boat telling people about the multimillion dollar homes. We then anchored at Marco Island, when we motored out the channel back into the Gulf of Mexico our engine quick. I had the idea the pick-up tube in the tank was clogged again but because the wind was with us for the 3 days it took to get back to Marathon we just enjoyed the sailing.
When we had favorable winds we set sail to come back to Miami via the gulf stream so we could make it back before another cold front rolled thru.

While in Boot key harbor I picked up a complete sail kit for our walker Bay dinghy very cheap. What a blast it is to sail.

We are back in Miami but will not be going to the boat show this time, the plans are to start back north by the end of the month depending on winds.

CharlieJ

Sure glad to hear from you two. Wish I could visit with ya'll again. Maybe this summer. Keep on posting :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera