Sailor Hall of Fame (the lists)

Started by Captain Smollett, November 03, 2010, 10:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Here is the sailor Hall of Fame as voted by SailFar members.  Since the voting continues, these lists will be updated as needed.

HALL OF FAME:

Webb Chiles (writer, circumnavigator)
John Guzzwell (Circumnavigator in a very sail-far style boat: Trekka)
Eric Hiscock (multiple circumnavigator and sailing author)
Don Street (cruising book writer and engineless sailor)
Lin and Larry Pardey (sailors,authors,boat builders)
Robin Lee Graham (sail-far style circumnavigator and author)
James Baldwin (Two circumnavs in a SailFar style boat, and quite helpful in person)
Yves Gelinas (Cape Horn self steering, solo RTW on A30)
John Letcher (small boat sailor, author of "Self Steering for Sailing Craft)
Charles Stock (true "small boat sailor", author)
Bernard Moitessier (solo around the world sailor)
Joshua Slocum (First solo circumnavigator)
Roger Taylor (Ming Ming)
Dave/Jaja Martin (arounders,adventurers,writers,parents, KISS to the end)

PAST NOMINEES NOT VOTED INTO THE HALL OF FAME:

Christopher Columbus (explorer)
Edward Teach (Blackbeard)
Dennis Conner (America's Cup skipper)
Larry Ellison (yacht owner and America Cup financier)
Tristan Jones (Adventurer, author, tall tale spinner)
Joseph Hazelwood (drunk- Shipmaster of Exxon Valdez)
Patience Wales (travel writer, former SAIL Magazine Chief Editor)
Steve Dashew (Big boats,Much comfort)
Tom Perkins (owner of the Maltese Falcon=$$ big boat)
Salisbury Pryce Humphreys (Captain of HMS Leopard)
Fletcher Christian (led the mutiny on HMS Bounty)
Donald Crowhurst (fraudulent navigator)
Hans Klaar (KISS world cruiser, bigger boat)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Kettlewell

Where's the voting going on for this? I nominate Hal Roth (of Whisper fame) and Beryl and Miles Smeeton (Tzu Hang).

CharlieJ

Second those for sure, but let's include Margaret Roth along with Hal.

And Susan Hiscock should for sure be added to Eric's name.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Kettlewell

Right on! I agree with CharlieJ. These were partnerships. Never had the pleasure of meeting the Smeetons, but I met Hal and Margaret and they were very unassuming small boat champions. I was working the NY Boat Show one year and when I was setting up my booth I pulled out some signs packed by someone at headquarters that said, "Meet Hal Roth here!" Spent the rest of the show with Hal and Margaret in the booth signing books and talking to people. Obviously, this was back in the day when the NY boat show was a big deal and included a lot of sailboats. Their books are all on my shelf and have been read numerous times. Saw Margaret a few years ago at the Annapolis show where I think she was working the SSCA booth.

Captain Smollett

These lists were the results of an informal "game" that was intended as entertainment.  The game was conducted on a member's only part of the board.

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,3076.0.html
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Dave and Jaja Martin Rock!!!  Some here think 30-32 ft is minimum for a "happy couple".  Not only did they do long offshore passages and cross many oceans on their 25...they had 2 kids along the way!! Their kids were several years old AND a 3rd on its way before they went bigger. I'm a minimalist by nature but even I have a hard time imagining a couple and 2 kids under 6 on a 25fter with basically sitting headroom. (yes..he modified the companionway higher...but mostly sitting headroom) Talk about "small boat people"....talk about "kiss". They are near the top of the list in my mind!!

A "must read" article with pictures here  http://www.selfsteer.com/pdfs/GOB_ND05_Martin.pdf

http://sailingsimplicity.com/podcast-with-jaja-martin/
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

SeaHusky

Tapio Lehtinen, who recently took 5:th place in the GGR, shows his gratitude to those who went before.
QuoteAt the grave of Gustaf Erikson in Mariehamn, Aland Islands, paying tribute to the Finnish Round the World Racing legacy.
Without GE and his fleet of windjammers the Great Grain Race wouldn't have continued till 1949, giving inspiration to the creation of both the Golden Globe Race 1968 and the Whitbread Race 1973.
I gave him a splash of fresh Southern Ocean water, taken onboard Asteria outside Cape Horn on 6/2/2019:).

I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

CapnK

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

And this is his welcome home to Finland.
Fire boat, navy vessel and a fleet of future circumnavigators.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.