News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Snapdragon 26

Started by Jim_ME, November 30, 2010, 09:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shellback

I'd like to post more pictures of the boat, but they're mostly in the 900 to 1800 KB range.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: shellback on December 24, 2010, 04:07:23 PM
I'd like to post more pictures of the boat, but they're mostly in the 900 to 1800 KB range.

Couple of options: photobucket, or a similar image hosting site, then link to your pictures in your posts with the img tag.

Or, we have a similar 'service' right here on sailfar.  Up near the top of your window, you should see a line like:

News: Welcome to sailFar!  Links: sailFar Gallery ...

You can set up an account on the sailfar gallery and upload your pictures there, then link to them in posts here on the forum (similar to if you were using photobucket).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

shellback

Hi Cat. S.,

I'd like to set up an account on the sailfar gallery, but don't know where to start.  I searched the gallery section but don't see any link to figuring out how to post.  Any help would be appreciated.  I haven't tried photobucket account I think it would be handier to do everything boatwise in the same place.

Ken

CapnK

Hi Ken -

Here's our big ol' Gallery thread with lots of info:

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,256.0.html

I will send you a PM with your Login info. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

shellback

Has anyone out there in SD 26 land ever mounted a halyard winch on the cabin house?  I would think it should definitely be through bolted, but it looks like there's an inside liner on the deckhead of the house.  I don't know if I should bolt directly through the liner or cut it out and put in a backing plate of plywood or sheet metal or both.  Right now my main halyard leads back to the cockpit with no winch, and the jib halyard goes to a winch at the base of the mast.  This is OK, but I like to do a lot of singlehanded sailing so at least hoisting and dropping the jib from the cockpit would be nice at times.

I like the way Freedom is set up.

Any thoughts on the matter might be helpful.

Ken
S/V Hermitage SD #134

Freedom 91

Hi Ken

I am going to check on my boat tomorrow, I will take a picture of how mine is fixed. I think that there is a small locker underneath where the winch is mounted so any backing plate would be hidden in the locker. I need to fix a backing plate under the clutch block as that is working loose, at the moment it is bolted through with just a washer and nut on the inside.

Nick

Freedom 91

shellback

Thanks Nick,

I also see that things are a little different down below on your boat, like the bulkhead behind the settee at the table.  It looks like that would give more space to put in some shelving for navigation books or such.

I really like your dodger as well.  My boat used to have one that had a semi permanent wind/spray shield with a drop down cover, but I rather like the idea of it collapsing all the way down.  I've got to price one out.  I've sailed on other boats that had them and it sure makes life more pleasant to have the companionway open in a light rain or taking spray.

Do you have any kind of cabin heater?  Up here in the Great Lakes that would be a welcome addition as well.

Ken

shellback

Got the pictures Nick!  I hope it wasn't too much of a chore to get in the cabinet.  The installation looks just like what I had in mind.  I never dawned on me that I could mount the winch right above the area if the cabinet.  This will keep things pretty simple.

Ken

Freedom 91

Hi Ken

Yes I have an Eberspacher diesel heater, it is mounted inside the port cockpit locker against the bulk head, the exhaust exits the hull above the waterline and the heat is piped into the saloon. Heats the boat in no time but is a little noisy.

The area behind the bulk head in the saloon is the heads, it was changed before I bought the boat. By doing this the fore cabin is now a large double bed.

Nick

The following link is a video used in the advert when I purchased Freedom a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbqbzx31LHQ&feature=related

shellback

Nick,

All I can say is lovely, lovely, lovely!  A great presentation for a great boat.  Thanks again for sharing the video and stills.  You've already given me a couple of ideas for some more improvements on the Hermitage.
Right now I'm working on getting something better to cook on in my galley.  I've got a two burner alcohol stove that isn't gimbaled.  I don't care for that or the alcohol.  I've also got a one burner stove on a Sea Swing that might be adequate.  Is yours LP gas or kerosene?

When I get the Gallery figured out perhaps I can put up some pics of my own.

Looking at those pictures really gets me itching to get back on the water but as I write this it's 13 degrees F. outdoors.  Our sailing season begins in May and ends about the middle of October, and sometimes that's stretching it.  What's yours like?

If I ever get to the UK I'll have to check out your sailing grounds.  The closest I ever came was as a cadet on a troop transport on a voyage from New York to Bremerhaven and return.  On the afternoon after leaving Germany the weather cleared just enough to get a peek of the White Cliffs of Dover.  The weather was very nasty the rest of the way home.  It was February 1965.  Later that night we rode over a 60 ft. wave south of Southhampton.  We had to slow her down some much we barely had steerage.

Cheers,

Ken

jakeindenver

Hey guys... been busy and haven't been on for a while.  Hey that's a great idea to put the winch up over the locker.  I hadn't thought of that either but am planning on put a winch up there too.

As for photos, here's  link to pics of my boat.  This is turning into a great discussion and the most I've seen regarding these little monsters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16529561@N02/sets/72157625060122192/

Let's keep the photos coming.  they are definately worth a thousand words!

jake

Jim_ME

Jake, Appreciate that you posted all those photos of your "monster". It was interesting to see your trailer setup with the bunks and guides that align the boat on the trailer so the keels can rest on those channel pads.

Nick, Enjoyed the video of your boat. I'm reminded of how much music can add to the images in terms of creating a mood. I was thinking...well isn't this a smooth translation of Bobby Darin's Somewhere Beyond the Sea, only to discover that La Mer is actually the original written in French many years earlier. (Like all those Bob Dylan covers of other artists' songs that turned out to be his... ;)) What's that quote... "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."

Here's another of a French couple and song on a Centaur, a bit blurry, but captures that humor and Joie de vivre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQiX2sB_E4  

shellback

Great pictures everyone.  It's fun to compare all the little differences.

Ken

I've posted some of my own Hermitage on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sd26

shellback

Hey Jake,

Now we know where Admiral Nelson hangs out!  I wonder if he ever bumps into Capt. Morgan.

Seriously though, great pictures!  I like the way the cover for the head folds out of the way.  Also, is that two burner stove alcohol fueled?  I've got a very similar one on the Hermitage.  It needs a little work though as the burners don't always stay lit.  I put a new leather on the pump, but I think the burners need work.

That's a nice looking, snug little anchorage you're laying too in the photos.

Ken

jakeindenver

Hey Guys,

Ken, Nice photos - thanks!  I'd love to see more.  Is that the original tiller?  I'd love to see a close up.  Mine doesn't have nearly the curve it looks like yours and I've been thinking mine isn't original because it hits the benches when I turn.  I'd love measurements as I'm thinking of having one custom made.  I find your bowsprit very interesting.  I've thought of doing something like that. I'd also love to see inside if you don't mind posting some pics of that.  Also, a couple close ups of your mast head rigging would help too. 

As for my stove, it is alcohol and works but it's seen it's best days.  I recently bought an Origo 3000 non-pressure alcohol stove that I intend to put gimbals on and pot holders.  For winter I've taken all the wood out and am stripping and redoing all of it.  For a boat that many say has too little wood... it's sure a lot to strip.  The admiral is coming handy during all this work!

shellback

Hi Jake,

Sorry I haven't been on line in a while.  I'll see if I can dig up my interior photos and some of the tiller if I can find them.  Yeh, the tiller has a nice curve and as far as I know it's original.  I should be going down to the boat in the next week so I can take some measurements.

I've taken some of the access panels out of the boat for the winter and put a couple of coats of West System epoxy on 'em.  Now some fine sanding and they'll be set for a couple of seasons.

I'll have to check out one of those Origo 3000's if I can find them on line.

Keep up the good work.

Ken    8)

shellback

Jake and all,

I've added some more pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sd26

Ken

s/v Faith

Quote from: shellback on February 11, 2011, 02:36:39 PM
Jake and all,

I've added some more pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sd26

Ken

Looks shippy, and quite inviting down below.  ;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

VermontSnappie

Hello All - thank you for dedicating something to the USA Snapdragons - I found this forum via the UK Snapdragon Site. I am an owner of a SD 26 - purchased about 5 years ago and sitting in my yard awaiting some work to be done. I am trying to get motivated to tackle some tough projects. Snow still on the ground here in Northern Vermont so too cold to do much fiberglassing. I would love to hear from other SD 26 Owners as I have numerous "problems" to solve and nary another vessel nearby to compare notes. Used to have an O'day 22 and had a much easier time finding information! Oh well, thats what happens when you choose a boat for its' unique character! Andrea