News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

A plug for Plymouth, NC

Started by Captain Smollett, January 12, 2011, 08:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I recently wrote a thread about development in Belhaven, NC, and to list a contrasting case, I hear Plymouth, NC is improving waterfront access while fighting the "condo" look.  In fact, one person with whom I spoke today said, "there's plenty of places for that if someone wants it.  We want to keep Plymouth...Plymouth."

:)

They are currently awaiting the last round of permits to build a new town dock with slips - something the Eastern NC cruising guides have mentioned (rightfully) was sorely missing in Plymouth.  I think they are expecting the docks/slips to be completed by summer.

Along with that, they are putting in shower and laundry facilities right across the street from where the docks will be. 

Plymouth is a neat little town with quite a history - indeed, it embodies the 'small, eastern NC coastal town' vibe.  Once a major port city, Main Street is actually one block inland from the waterfront since the waterfront street was once all wharves and warehouses.  Now, that street is lined with locally owned shops and almost all of the buildings reflect the town's age.

Attractions within walking distance of the proposed town slips include (but are not limited to):

A really nice Civil War Museum (the caretaker will explain all manners of stuff about the collection, which include Native American and Colonial exhibits as well) with a scaled down replica of the CSS Albemarle Ironclad (in the river - they use it for reenactments)

A Maritime Museum that houses a fascinating collection of home-made boats and very early vintage outboard engines (going back to 1915 or so); Brenda here will share some incredible local history, complete with "Jimmy was the only boy to have his own boat growing up" to go along with the miniature, children's boat on display that Jimmy's father built for him and his sisters to explore Albemarle Sound (powered by an INBOARD Briggs and Stratton Engine!).  The collection is getting ready to expand to include another building, which is actually where the showers and laundry facility will be.

A Big Game Museum, which houses the neat collection (and tour offered) of a local area hunter who has harvested game from Alaska to Africa. 

Shops and restaurants also line the waterfront.

If visiting Plymouth, one should avoid the hot summer months since bad mosquitoes and a large population of water moccasins in the river are present at that time.

That said, I'd say this small town is well worth the trip up the Sound even though it is off the beaten path from the ICW.  What a wonderful opportunity for cruisers to 'vote with their dollars' and visit a town that is at the same time actively developing its waterfront access and resisting commercial development of the town proper.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain