Sailfar Cruising Stations

Started by Auspicious, February 23, 2011, 11:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rorik

Just added myself in Tacoma WA
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

cap-couillon

Cap' Couillon on board sv / Solitaire in Deltaville Va. (South-central Chesapeake) ...

Added to map, glad to offer any assistance / info we can for the local area. After late Aug 2013 you will have to catch us somewhere points south. Will update underway.

Amites
Cap' Couillon

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
SailingOffTheEdge.com

Cruiser2B

If you want to add my name to the list, id be glad to help anyone in the area

Cruiser2B   aka Jason

Little Creek, VA or anywhere near Mile marker 0 on ICW

1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

CharlieJ

Since I'm kinda sorta in one spot (for now) I just added mine. Kinda hard to see me, cause I'm hiding behind GrimE :D :D Zoom in close to the south Texas area, and you can see me peeking out.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Auspicious

I'm still in Annapolis, and still here for those passing through. I'm also still the SSCA Cruising Station. I now am service manager for J Gordon & Co on Back Creek. If you have work that needs doing in Annapolis we can offer free dockage while the work is being done. On a space available basis in season you can tie up for water and pump out.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

s/v Faith

Just stopped in at Georgetown for the second time in two weeks.  The good folks at Georgetown landing marina were great as always, and Kurt really helped me out.  Driving me all over Georgetown to collect the essentials required by the properly equipped cruising yacht....  Extra virgin truffle oil is tough to find, and organic free range Foie Gras is even harder... But once again Kurt came through!

Barque, the new crew dog is a great addition!  Smart, attentive, and polite the little guy seems to be the perfect boat dog.  I had a private talk with him, and made sure he had my cell number in case he ever needs bail or someone to vouch for him in case his dad is passed out in a drunken stupor indisposed some where.

Thanks Kurt!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Craig....did you notice Kurts collection of "Foster Brooks" video's. His HERO!!!   ;D

OK...how many are too young to remember Foster Brooks?
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

Quote from: Frank on December 04, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
Craig....did you notice Kurts collection of "Foster Brooks" video's. His HERO!!!   ;D
OK...how many are too young to remember Foster Brooks?
LMAO  ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Adodero

We're in Melbourne, FL, we'd be happy to provide as much assistance to those passing through as possible!

Captain Smollett

I can't get to it right this moment, I will get the list updated soon.  It needs some edits and a couple of additions.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Kettlewell

CharlieJ, any sailing in Matagorda Bay or vicinity? What keeps you based there? Just curious as I always thought of that area as mostly shallow Intracoastal Waterway and fast fishing boats.

CharlieJ

LOTS of sailing.

West Matagorda itself is about 15 x 19 or 20 miles, average depth 12-15 feet. Interconnects with Espiritu Santos, San Antonio, Aransas, Corpus Christi Bays to the south west.

Below that is the Laguna Madre, which IS shallow- best stay in the channels.

Up to Galveston Bay to the north east. All pretty primitive except for Aransas which has the towns Rockport, Port Aransas, and Aransas Pass to go visit.

And of course you can jetty jump inlet to inlet. Brazos Santiago to Port Mansfield to Aransas to Matagorda to Colorado River to Galveston to Port Arthur. All pretty much one day sails.

Be careful at Galveston-  Port of Houston is the busiest in the nation.

first Picture was taken sailing in Matagorda. See any land back there? 18 miles of open water to port.

Second one sailing same bay, other direction, on the 4th of July. We almost ALWAYS have wind
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Kettlewell

Nice shots! How are the beaches? Anchorages? Any other sailors around?

CharlieJ

Well, I live 5 blocks away from the only beach you can DRIVE to for some 60 miles.

Most of the beaches are on the gulf side of the barrier islands, and on Matagorda Island, you MUST have a boat to get there. Used to be a State Park but was reverted back to feds. Docks are still in place, and maintained, and are free. From there it's a 2 mile hike to the beach, and that is usually deserted- even on Labor Day- Most are too lazy to walk :D

Not a whole lot of sailing done right here where I am. Over in the next bay- Tres Palacios there's a good bit. Usually Grime and I are about the only sailboats out, and they've had some medical troubles which have stopped them lately.

I'm just waiting on this never ending winter to go away, so I can start weekending again >:(

Galveston Bay is heavily sailed. That general area has probably 10-11 thousand slips

Corpus Christi Bay is also fairly heavily sailed, as is the area around Rockport and Port Aransas.

Most folks in our marina are either liveaboards, or are from out of town
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Some more on the subject.

WHY we don't have that many sailing is sort of a mystery. Unlike say the Chesapeake, we have ALWAYS got wind, all year round. The Texas coast is renowned for winds among fishing people. Salt water fly fishermen have to learn to deal with it, or not fish.

Normal summer time winds are 10-12 early, building to 12 - 15 later, almost a certainty from the SE. If it's REALLY hot inshore a ways, the afternoon sea breeze can hit 18-20 or more.

That second pic in an early post was on the 4th of July

Feb, March, early Apr can see winds into the 40s though, which on Matagorda Bay can be deadly- akin to Albemarle Sound

In fact, I knew some folks on smaller boats who kept the first reef permanently tied in  :)

Oh- and what keeps me here? A paid for house with a full bore woodshop, and a 93 year old Mother.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Chris

Cap'n, you can add this new member to the Sailfar Cruising Station list.
I am working on a Columbia 24 in Los Angeles Harbor . The slips (temp or otherwise) are cheaper than other SoCal marinas and management is very tolerant of in the water boat projects so it's a handy spot to layover and get some work done if needed. There is an small inexpensive DIY yard just down the road for anything 30' and under as well for haul outs... Oh and great shakedown sailing once you run the big ship gauntlent getting out the channel!

CharlieJ

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2014, 02:19:53 PM
Cap'n, you can add this new member to the Sailfar Cruising Station list.
I am working on a Columbia 24 in Los Angeles Harbor . The slips (temp or otherwise) are cheaper than other SoCal marinas and management is very tolerant of in the water boat projects so it's a handy spot to layover and get some work done if needed. There is an small inexpensive DIY yard just down the road for anything 30' and under as well for haul outs... Oh and great shakedown sailing once you run the big ship gauntlent getting out the channel!

;D This is going to be VERY confusing ;D

Ya'll will have to use something other than CJ for me now :D

Welcome to the forum CJ
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Chris

Oops   :D
Thanks for the welcome.
New screen name here !   :D

Captain Smollett

Just edited the List Only 'sticky.'  I think it is up to date.

If anyone else wants to be added to the list or if there are any additional corrections, please post your details HERE in THIS THREAD.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Godot

Update to the email (to adam@b29seeker{dot}net) as I'm trying to break my sailing related emails from my non-sailing related emails (actually, I have several accounts...I think it is making my life easier; although I suppose it is debatable).

While I'm physically located in Middle River, I am close enough to Baltimore to help folks out there (and, indeed, have met a couple sailfarers there over the past couple years). Anyone who comes through can count on a beer at the least, and what information I can provide. I will also do what I can to help with showers, laundry, groceries, etc...

I did eventually sign up; but I guess that since I didn't originally make my entry I can't go and change it.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay