BCC s/v "Flyer" around the world!

Started by Frank, April 10, 2011, 03:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Mike is an airline pilot...fly's the big ones. He purchased a Bristol 28 hull/deck kit about 18yrs ago, sold his place and lived in a camper for the yrs it took to finish her out....and did a very fine job. He is a detail person. He then sailed her from Washington (west coast) down, through the canal, played in the Caribbean and the last few years in the Bahamas. I kept running into him be it Florida or the Abacos. This year we met again in Indiantown. He had the mast unstepped to do a re-paint and was going over the entire boat. That process took him longer than planned but around march 20th +/- he left....he's on his way 'around'. I just recieved an e-mail from him. He's already in Colon awaiting transit of the canal.
Mike is an inspiration. He is a minimalist, a health nut and one of the most intense and focussed people I have ever met. He walked the trail from Mexico to Canada a few years back...all 2600+ miles of it through the mountains. That was a 3 1/2 month leave of absence. He is now on a 3yr leave but doubts he will go back.
I'll keep you posted of his progress.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Oldrig

Grog for posting that.

Mike sounds like a doer, rather than a dreamer.

More power to him!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Frank

He definately IS a doer!! We have had many conversations about life's choices and he has lived his life choosing experiences over assets.
Since completing "Flyer"...he never returned to a home.

If interested...his blog is

http://bookofflyer.blogspot.com/

Frank

Mike's in Tonga now. If ya haven't peeked for a while...check out his blog. He's put some serious miles on since leaving!! Great pictures!!!

Frank

Mike has almost "closed the loop"!!  He is planning on 2yrs to the day on March 26th.  Check his blog.....he even climbed Mt  Kilimanjaro while in Africa..highest freestanding mountain in the world !!  Like I said in an earlier post...he IS INTENSE!!!

s/v Faith

How amazingly cool!

I met Mike last week in Grand Turk!  Had him aboard for a couple cold frosty beverages.

What a great guy!  I gave him a sailfar sticker, and somehow your name came up Frank!

What an amazingly small world it is!  I am inGeorgetown right now, and will likely be here when he stops by shortly after he completes his "RTW".

Wow!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

I met a Sailor in the anchorage near the government dock at Grand Turk.  Humble guy, Mike...  Sitting in the cockpit of this amazing little ship that looks like it is fresh of the yard.

I dingy over to say hi and tell him what a great looking little ship he has.  Turns out my friend Dennis remembered seeing the boat in Indian Town when we were delivering his Southern Cross...  Right before Mike departed on his circumnavigation.

Small world indeed!

s/v Faith

The Bristol Channel Cutter was drawn was drawn by Lyle Hess.

They are currently in production, and arguably one of the most capable world cruisers being produced today in any size.

http://www.samlmorse.com/

The Bristol Channel Cutter is an amazing little ship.

Frank

He truly is an amazing guy! Anyone thats been at Indiantown knows how dirty the water is and that gators hang out there. Just before he was ready to leave, one of the yard crew (nice guy-big smile) was in swiming after several drinks and went under. In no time after hearing, Mike dove in and under several times to try and save him. Unfortunately the guy drowned but Mikes efforts were certainly brave considering the circumstances.

Frank

Frank

Just recieved this from Mike.....

Friends and Family,

On March 26th at 11:14 Flyer and I tied up at the fuel dock on San Salvador Island in the Bahamas. Exactly 24 months before, we had departed this same dock after taking on fuel on the way to Panama.... this completes our circumnavigation.   

I will be back in the States around the first of May. 

All the best,   M