The adventures of Deep Blue

Started by phil416, May 29, 2011, 11:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

Phil,

Thanks for the anecdote from Capt. Magnus.

It's refreshing to hear a story about the US Navy helping a sailor. So often, the only tales that make it onto the Internet or into the news concern yachts being harassed or searched rudely for drugs or something. Too bad about the Jack Daniels, but the Navy still came through for those guys.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

phil416

08-27-08   Having explored Faial, it was time to depart.  Jerry and I left for Graciosa Island in f-2 winds.  After a pleasant overnight we were tied up at Vila Da Pria by 09:47.   After signing in, we were greeted by Nuno Ciete and his crew from Luana, a local fishing boat.  The fish they gave us made an outstanding supper.  The beach bar tender asked if we were going to the bullfights in Fonte de Mote?  Sure.  Evening one was fun as the youngsters took on some calves in a cow pasture.  The following evening I dutifully hiked the 1 km. up the hill.  I looked around for the appropriate cow pasture and sure enough there was a crowd down a side street, and I joined right in.  All of a sudden everyone began to run past me, and I looked up.  Oh-my god! I was in the path of the beast.  Losing 20 years, I ran for my life to the nearest rock wall, where I dove headfirst for safety assisted by laughing natives.   At the conclusion of the event I stopped at a booth a bought a beer.  I stood there for 4 hrs and the beer never got empty.  Everyone thought I was crazy.  About the bulls,  they are not iinjured in Portugal and under the control of about 7 tenders with a long, rope.  TheGse bulls are prized breedeing stock in a land where dairy is king.  Graciosa is Portuguese for gracious, and the island is aptly named.
Every day in the Azores is a new adventure, and a learning experience.  Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

link to Phil's Adventure thread.

phil416

08-31-08  Off to Terceira Island. Winds f-2 < 5 knots.  On this short passage we found that currents were stronger than the light winds we encountered.  We actually had to sail past the island and then tack back, motoring the final 6 hrs.  We finally anchored at Pria da Vitoria 11:30 hrs Sept 2, a long time for a 50 mile cruise.  Here we found a pleasant suprise.  The marina at Pria is municiple and the least expensive in the Azores.  Pria is also the most favorable departure point for the mainland.  Pualo, and Duarte the marina managers offer help above and beyond expectations.  They also provide free computers in the clubhouse, who could ask for more.  excellent protection in the anchorage.  Pria has become a favorite stop for veteran cruisers.  The chief attraction on Terceira is the historic city of Angra do Heroismo, the former trade center of the Atlantic ocean.  The botanical garden here is worth a days visit by itself.   Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

phil416

09-06-08;  12:13 hrs. Deep Blue departed Pria da Vitoria bound for Sines Portugal.  The plan was to sail n.e. to 40' north and to ride the Portuguese trades south to Sines.  Jerry's knowledge began to pay dividends immediately.  Daily runs were 80 to 100 miles.  The day of 09-09-08 was especially good 77 miles in winds of f-2 less than 5 knots.  The drifter paid divdends that day.  We also made our furthest north that day at 39' 44.1".  As we approached the Portuguese trades winds picked up to f-4/5 and most days were smooth at about 90+ miles per day.  Our first problems arose just south of Cabo Roca (Near Cascais at the entrance to the Tagus river)  Two lines of ships, one northbound the other south heading to and from the straights of Gibralter.  Each ship was about 1 mile apart.  Extreme caution is needed here. The trick is to pass astern of the lead ship but well ahead of the trailing one.  At last this hazard was behind us.  Once inside of Cabo Roca winds fell of to f-3 and the seas calmed.  We docked at Porto de Sines Marina do Recreoa10:20 hrs 09-16-08, covering the 978 miles in 10 days.  There to help us tie up was our old friend Magnus.   Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

phil416

Our first discovery was the Adega (Wine Celler) de Sines, good basic hearty food, site brewed wine, and fabulous Flam all for about E 8.  Manuel Branco aboard a Finnish motor sailor regailed us with tales of the overthrow of Salazar.  Jerry left for a tour of Spain, and I went to Lisbon and checked into a hotel. ( a Motel 6 so help me god.)  The highlight was a tour of the Marine Museum in Belem.  The time to leave approacched rapidly.  While enjoying an evening with Magnus and Nina aboard Toutazamut, Magnus enquired why are you sailing home?  The answer I don't know.  Out came the charts and plans changed.  We would sail back to Pria da Vitoria.  10-04-08  18:30 hrs We departed Sines.  Porto Santo would be our bailout port.  Shortly the wind died an we motored 5 hrs to 02:30.  We passed through the Gibralter traffic zone the following afternoon.  The following few days were blessed with variable winds f2-f3 the going was slow.  From Oct. 8 on winds picked up to f-4 to f-5 and life became more fun. Days of 120-130 miles began to add up.  Conflict arose as we approached Sao Miguel Island.  I set a course 43 miles n.e. of the island,  Jerry wanted to visit Ponta Delgada and sailed close to the Island.  When I awoke to take my shift jerry relented and turned North.  This put us in the wind shadow of the island and cost another 6 hrs of motoring.  I was fuming and let my feelings be known in no uncertain terms.  The wind died about 13 miles out from Terceira Island on the evening of 10-15 and we motored on in with Deep Blue rocking without mercy.  At 01:05  10-16-08 we docked at Pria da Vitoria, having covered 972 miles in 11 days 71/2 hrs.  The next few days were busy as we hauled the boat and prepared her for storage.  Fees at Pria are E 45 up and E 45 down, storage was E 90 / month.  Best in Europe. I flew home and Jerry visited Ireland on his way back.  Jerry taught me much, but the incident off Sao Miguel precludes him from sailing aboard Deep Blue again.  Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

phil416

2008 summary;  Deep Blue had sailed 4,700 miles and consumed 25 liters of fuel about 7+ gallons.  Over this time she had become a much improved sailing machine.  Nearly every day small improvements were made that made sail changes, reefing, food prep, etc. more efficient and convenient.  On a less serious note I had become the Red Green of bungy cord. swinging cabinet doors were held open and closed by bungy cords.  ( swing open cabinet doors are not a good idea on an off shore boat.)  The thermos was held firmly in place.  ( The plastic Thermos brand proved vastly superior to the Stanley s.s. bottles but more delicate.)  Even my coffee cup was secured with bungee cord.  Most sailors intimated that objects flying about were a major problem at the start of voyages.  Stored items, spare parts, and tools had also migrated to places nearer to place of need.  Ever more attention was devoted to moving weight low and toward the center of the vessel.   The captain had learned more in a few months than in ten years of preparation.  If an interest is shown we'll continue this tale in November, but right now its off to Md. and preparation for new adventures Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

earlylight160

It is with regret that I inform you that captain "phil416" owner of Deep Blue (a Pearson Triton)  and member of this message board has passed on.  Phil was a great friend who took up sailing very late in life and fulfilled a lifelong dream of single handing his Triton  from Solomons, Maryland to Portugal and then down the African coast, back across the Atlantic to the Gulf of Mexico, then back north to his home port in Solomons, Maryland.  Phil was one who would always make time to help anyone out (sailor or not).  He will be sorely missed.
Dick Coerse
"Early Light"
1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
Solomons, MD

Frank

Truly sorry to hear that. Seems he fofilled his dream....many don't...good for him. Sympathy to his close friends and family. We'll miss him here.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

Wow.

I'm shocked.  This is very sad to hear.

Fair Winds, Phil.  Even though we never met in person, you will be missed.

I don't know what else to say.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

:( Yes, he will be missed, but I am glad we have his posts to reread. Fair winds Phil

(and thanks for the news Dick, as sad as it is)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Oh man! !

I sailed  past  Deep Blue in Solomons this year, but sadly missed meeting Phil. Timing was just off. Sorry I missed meeting him.

You always think there'll be another time. Sometimes, there just isn't.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on December 07, 2011, 03:23:55 PM
Oh man! !

I sailed  past  Deep Blue in Solomons this year, but sadly missed meeting Phil. Timing was just off. Sorry I missed meeting him.

You always think there'll be another time. Sometimes, there just isn't.

Such a hefty reminder to us all....Get out there and do it NOW!

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

I've been reading the Hiscocks series of "Wanderer" books lately. Throughout their stories they mention people and boats whose names I've never heard before; singlehanders and doublers and other folk who were out there crisscrossing the oceans in small craft in times long before I was even born. I always wonder about them, the people who never wrote a book. I wonder about the people behind the names, things like what their boats were like and where they'd been beside that port where the Hiscocks saw them and how, this and other background information about these, well, "kin" whom I'll never know. I always wish that there was some way that their stories were not so irrevocably lost in time.

I knew Phil only through what he wrote here on the forum, and via a few personal messages we exchanged. And though it saddens me to know he has passed, I'm very, very glad that before this happened he found us and shared some of who he was. We have an "archive" of sorts, in his own words, of his travels and thoughts and personality and experiences on the trip that had been his Dream. Maybe, some time in the future, someone might hear about him and his trip, and through his own words that he left us here at sailFar, they can get to know him as something more than just a name mentioned in passing from someone elses book...

Fair winds and far shores, Phil! You will be missed.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

JWalker

well said capnk......fair winds phil.

s/v necessity

I enjoyed reading Phil's posts and had intended to send him a note saying so.  Once again I learn the hard way that some things shouldn't wait till tomorrow.  Thanks Phil.

Oldrig

Others have said it better than me, but ...

... Fair winds, Phil. You'll be missed.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Capt. Tony

All of you are right.  Thank you Phil for sharing something so important to you with all of us.  And to all of you SFr's remaining out there, "Thank you.  I really apreciate you and what you do."

atomvoyager

I was also surprised to hear the sad news as I had been communicating with Phil often over the past couple years. The sudden manner of his unexpected death reminds me not to put off anything in this life and it's good to know Phil got to make his Atlantic Circle cruise. I received the following message December 7:
>>>>>
I regret to inform everyone that on Monday Dec. 5, 2011, approximately 3p.m. Phil died suddenly,
I talked to the coroner on Wednesday and he informed me the cause of death was a 6cm bloodclot
on his spine that ruptured.  It happened very fast and he did not suffer.  I will try to write more
later.  Phil is being cremated and partial ashes will be buried at Fort Logan National Cemetary on
Dec. 22nd, 2011 at 11am, 3698 S. Sheridan Blvd., Denver, Co. 80235, mailing address 4400 W. Kenyon Ave.,
Denver, co. 80236. A reception will be held afterward to share memories at the VFW in Arvada. 
I am sorry I could not call everyone.  Thank You  Diane Prosser.
>>>>>>

James B

Tim

James thanks for filling in the details, I guess in some ways we should all be so lucky.

W.A. Ward

KB1973

Comes as a shock after reading thru his adventures to realize he is no longer for this world. It's good he shared some of his life and adventures before his unexpected passing.