The Adventure of "Clarity"

Started by okawbow, May 16, 2011, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

Congratulations!

The Maine Coast is the gold standard for Northeast (and probably all East Coast) sailors, and you've had a chance to cruise those storied waters.  I'm afraid I haven't sailed there for almost 30 years.

Best,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

okawbow

I,d have to say that Maine trumps every other area that we've been to. The prices are high; but you can get around that if you are careful. A good anchor and chain are a must. We use a 33 pound Bruce type with 35 feet of 3/8" chain and as much nylon rode as swing allows. The tides are about 10' in the Penobscot Bay, so the current is strong in some areas. The views are breathtaking! The farther "down east" you get; the more so.

We are currently anchored in Rockland harbor with about a dozen "windjammer" ships. Yesterday was the "parade of windjammers" . We had about 20 wooden schooners and ketches sailing by at the same time. Most of them came in and anchored under sail.

Today in the The North Atlantic Blues Festival, which takes place at the waterfront. We can hear just fine from the boat. Next weekend are the Friendship sloop days, where these beautiful wood boats come in from all over.

There are events happening almost daily in many of the small towns. You can also find uninhabited islands with safe anchorages. The one thing I have a little trouble with, is all the lobster traps. I hear calls on the radio almost daily for assistance because someone snagged a float. I suggest a full keel with attached rudder for cruising here.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Jim_ME

Chuck & Pat, Welcome to Maine. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruising here. I enjoyed sailing out of Camden on a friend's boat last fall. Maybe CJ and Laura (and others) will be tempted to come up this far after all by your positive report?  ;) [and your praise for the area, too, Joe.]

I wondered whether you might have gotten over to the North Atlantic Blues Festival. good to read that you made it, and that you could hear it well from the boat. I'm going to have to get to it one of these summers.

The American Folk Festival in Bangor, ME is another great event (which I posted about in another thread), accessible by boat on the Penobscot River. It starts on August 26, 27, and 28th. May not work out this year with you current schedule, but keep it in mind for future visits.

Have enjoyed your writing about the cruise. Grog to you.

Fair winds,
Jim