News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Triton RTW

Started by Pappy Jack, August 03, 2011, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy Jack

Here is a site about a guy that is planing to sail nonstop around the world on a Triton 28.
He plans on doing it in 10 months and hopes to raise $1,000,000 for the fight against breast
cancer.  http://www.thepinkboat.org/

Fair winds and full sails,

Pappy Jack

P.S. Oh ya,he's going to paint his boat PINK ::)

CharlieJ

I wish him the world of luck, in a worthwhile venture.

But-

Where on earth does he figure to stow 10 months worth of food on a Triton? Not to mention water.

Great sail boat but I seriously feel he is under boated for the job. The displacement is simply not there for a non stop sail.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on August 03, 2011, 07:21:40 PM

Where on earth does he figure to stow 10 months worth of food on a Triton? Not to mention water.

Rain.  Or R/O Watermaker.

Storing the food should be less of an issue.  A V-berth could hold a WHOLE HEAP of rice, for example.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

I have to admit my first reaction was cynical also, just couldn't point to why. I am unable to get the site to load so I had better not say anything more.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

tomwatt

Wonder how he manages to cook/eat? Short of burning anything that floats by, I'd guess that if he managed to stock enough food and water aboard, he'd start running into fuel storage issues next. Unless he's stocking pre-packaged ready-to-eat meals that need no water or cooking. But even a 6 month's supply of MREs is going to overflow the vee-berth and beyond.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Captain Smollett

Remember that Yves Gelinas planned nonstop RTW when he embarked in his A-30.  Admittedly, the A-30 is a bit bigger, but not THAT much.

Food and fuel is not that big of an issue; Yves cooked with kerosene.  Water is.

Gelinas planned to resupply underway with captured rain.  He had a rig to get rain from his mainsail, collected at a point along the boom and piped to his water tanks.

This was the reason he had to stop in South Africa.  His passage from northern France was longer than he anticipated and actually was relatively rain-free.  He had only a few liters of water left when he arrived.

As I think about it this morning, I try to imagine fitting 10 months of food in this boat...for one person.  I don't think it would be a problem at all.  The v-berth is huge, the area under the cockpit is huge (take the engine out, as Gelinas did and as has been done on my boat), and the areas under the settees are huge.  The hanging locker is quite large as well.

For a voyage like this, you don't need a lot of clothes are other "amenities" that we usually want to bring along 'cruising' or even 'voyaging." 

With the right mindset, I just don't see this as that big of a deal.  That's the key, though.  How many us really think in terms that practical?

Since he's circled on a Triton, I'd LOVE to hear James' thoughts on this if he'd care to offer them.

My final thought - whether he ends up doing it nonstop or not (as Gelinas did not) is immaterial to me.  That part of it is to a degree a publicity stunt.  Sailing around the world on a Triton will be a HUGE accomplishment whether he stops along the way or not.  Either route to success can make publicity for his cause, and indeed, it could be argued that having some "issue" that requires a landing may help in his fund raising goal....drama sells.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

From the site:

A lot of people ask about where I will stop: I am not going to stop. Once I leave San Francisco, I will not stop until I return some 25,000 miles and approximately 10 months later. Once people grasp this, the next question is usually, "How in the heck are you going to carry enough food and water for a year?!" I plan to utilize watermakers, and catch rainwater when I can. For food, I will bring a year's worth of dehydrated meals aboard which can be prepared with only boiling water.

Admittedly, I don't like the 'speed record' rhetoric, but hey.  I can also see some bravado pushing for the raising of funds for the cause.  I'm also a bit curious about the "About Me" page which outlines "Why Breast Cancer" but does not say anything about sailing experience.

This could be another case of unrealistic expectations that ends almost before it really gets underway.  I think there's more to sailing a trip like this than publishing a Google Map with some cool RTW waypoints on it.

And the big problem *I* see with non-stop RTW stuff is that there is no way to really plan to be in certain places "in season" due to the way the seasons overlap.  At least that's what I've seen in my armchair planning.  The stops are as much about wx as rest or whatever. It seems to me that planning non-stop pretty much guarantees some atrocious weather in at least one of the oceans.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Faith

Judging by the months of taking food off of Faith after we got back, I would say we had 6 months of provisions when we left...  :)

Now, of course we would have SURVIVED on what we had, but probably had to re-provision because we would long since have run out of Oreos.   ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Why am I not being able to get on the site?, keep getting a

QuoteServer Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

Huh, don't know.. I have the same problem here.

Captain Smollett

Thank Microsoft for their overly complicated approach to solving computer problems.  And, the site host using way outdated server software.

That site is being hosting on a Microsoft IIS 6.0 (released in 2003 on 2003 Server and XP Pro versions of Windows and essentially obsolete in 2008 with the release of IIS 7.0) server with ASP.NET development (and serving) framework.  That means simple things are handled in a complicated way (typically), and whatever software object the server needs (to serve for YOUR browser) is not defined properly.

Since some of us have no problems and some do, troubleshooting requires we find the difference between our requests to that server.  The first question, is, what browser are you guys using?

I'm using Firefox 3.6.18 and have no problems viewing the site.

When I use the text based 'browser' lynx to dump the http headers, I get an "Internal Server Error," but still get the header dump.  Like I said, ain't MS wonderful?

When I simply view the site with lynx (as a text based browser, not to examine headers), it loads fine.

No one in their right mind should develop a site on ASP.NET, but what do I know?

But hey, I'm not getting paid enough to troubleshoot THEIR web site, so why am I bothering?  Forward your questions to them, and please include in your request that they test their web site for W3C compliance in a variety of browsers BEFORE publishing on the Web.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Faith

That said, here is the error I see...

QuoteServer Error in '/' Application.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   EightFootScrews2008.common.helpers.Utility.GZIPCurrentRequest() +71
   EightFootScrews2008.common.masterpages.Main.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +5
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +146
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Probably easier to fit a RTW worth of provisions on a Triton then figure out what is up with that site.  ;)

Captain Smollett

This is the key bit:

Some coder wrote a line of code referencing something that, so far as the server can tell, does not exist.  That's a rather common error in code of this type, and SHOULD be pretty easy to find and fix.  Someone didn't REALLY test the web app on that server is my guess.

What's totally interesting is that you guys get the error and some of us don't.

It's pretty much got to be browser specific.  That line of code is NOT being executed for MY requests, but is for yours.

It's all rather silly, on several levels.

And...how much confidence will "not bug checking his web page" inspire in folks wishing to invest in his cause to raise $$ for Breast Cancer Research?

And more to the point for THIS SITE....what does THIS kind of error on a web page say about how his boat preps for a nonstop RTW are going to be done?

True, he may be an astonishingly fantastic sailor with more offshore fortitude than I will EVER have...no way to know at this point.  But the question is a fair one, I think.  Maybe that's too harsh...maybe.

Even assuming he hired out his web site production, going "live" before it's ready and publicizing the attempt at a WORLD RECORD is a bit of responsibility...I'm just wondering if I am the only one drawing some parallel between the "attempt" at publicity and the "attempt" at a world record solo nonstop RTW sail.

Sorry...just musing.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Tim

I am using Firefox 5.0 with "Noscript"

But since I don't plan on sending any money (more cynical by the second) I am not going to pursue it any more.

Probably easier to fit a RTW worth of provisions on a Triton then figure out what is up with that site.  Wink
;D

W.A. Ward

Godot

I don't think I'd draw too many conclusions on his planned voyage based on his website.  A great many very skilled people out there really have no clue how the world wide web works.  This page was likely built using a template, or quite possibly, by a friend or relative who was taught ASP in college and hasn't yet gotten out of the MS mindset (I have friends who have gone this exact route early in their web development careers).  

A quick browse of his site (works fine for me) doesn't really give much background on the skipper or his boat preparations.  He's not planning on leaving for a couple of years, so quite possibly he hasn't done much in the way of preparations, yet.  While it is quite easy to dismiss him as so many others have bragged about grandiose plans only to sheepishly slink away when they fall apart, I'm perfectly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have no doubt that the voyage he proposes is possible.  Certainly, far less likely voyages have been completed (I mean, who in their right mind would cross the Atlantic in a six foot boat?).  Only time will tell if it is successful or not.  I'll be interested to see what happens over the next year, or so.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Tim

My skepticism is not from the ill-working site or whether the RTW can be done. Rather I always get skeptical when somebody is asking for donations no matter how important the cause is when there is a feat that this person is going to perform that is 2 years away.

W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Godot on August 04, 2011, 12:59:06 PM

While it is quite easy to dismiss him as so many others have bragged about grandiose plans only to sheepishly slink away when they fall apart, I'm perfectly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is my thought, too.

On the one hand, I bristle about these folks starting adventures like this and seeking publicity BEFORE the fact...and they often end in some kind of well noticed failure.

But, on the other hand, his seeking publicity COULD well be simply because he's trying to raise a large chunk of money for a worthy cause.  That takes time.

What gives me pause:  he wanted to do the trip THEN thought of a way to do it fund-raising wise.  It could be argued that he has no real personal motivation regarding breast cancer research.

Here's the text of his "About Me" page:

The most common question I receive is why breast cancer?

Breast cancer affects not only the women who are diagnosed and bravely fight this disease, but all of the people- the friends and family in their lives who love them.  When I sat and thought about my reasons for wanting to sail around the world, they seemed a bit selfish and without purpose.

There is so much each of us can do to positively affect and beat this disease.  I wanted my sail to have a mission that would serve not only this sailor's wanderlust, but to raise research funding for a greater good.  I am risking my life for this voyage, while millions of women have their lives risked everyday from cancer.  I am inspired by their courage and devote this sail to them.

"I wanted my sail to have a mission" makes me wonder.  Interpretation of that can go either way.  Maybe I'm reading more into this than needs to be there, but (a) it's clear he wanted to sail RTW and try for a speed record (mentioned on another page) and thought of the mission after the fact, (b) does not mention any personal connection to breast cancer, (c) no mention of background on the About *ME* page and (d) it's just an odd way, to me, to word this.

On the issue of the speed record:

The Record

The International Sailing Federation/ World Speed Sailing Council maintains the records for the world. This journey falls under the following: Round The World Non-Stop(26.1.a), Under 40ft (20.c), Single Handed (21.f), Unassisted (21.e). The ISAF/WSSC will place a "black box" aboard and ratify the attempt.

Darwind will be the smallest length overall traditionally ballasted yacht to complete this course. Currently this honor is held by Alain Maignan from France aboard Schouten a 10.6m (34.78ft) monohull. His trip took place from October 7 2006 - April 11 2007 for an elapsed time of 185 days 22 hours and 2 minutes.

A smaller yacht has completed this record but it was a "sport boat" with a canting keel. Alessandro di Benedetto from Italy aboard "Findomestic Banca? a 6.5m (21.33ft) Mini recently completed the record. He started the October 28 2009 and went until the July 22 2010 lasting a total of 268 days 19 hours 36 minutes and 12 seconds. Naturally, I would like to outright beat this time record. Look out Alessandro!

What does it say to even be talking about speed records with a TRITON for crying out loud.  No doubt, the Triton is among my Top 5 favorite boats, but it's more of the slow, steady "get you there" tortoise than the "might stop halfway around" hare.

But again, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  There's enough about this 'story' that could very well be perfectly honest, innocent and cool.  That my cynicism flags are flapping says probably more about me than him.

Sailing Solo around the world is a feat worthy of relatively few of us...why the theatrics?  Would just doing it, nonstop or not, smallest or speed records or not, be a worthwhile means to raise awareness and money for cancer research?  Why does there have to be all the superlative (smallest, fastest, etc) to accomplish something that very few humans have done?

The Pink Boat should be publicity enough...but that's been done, too.   ;D

I've seen how  modest and humble approaches on the Internet can raise relatively large sums of money in a short period of time for worthy causes.  I just don't think the theatrics are necessary for that part of it.  That's my opinion.

If it were me?  I'd stop talking about speed records (that are perhaps unrealistic given his boat choice) and simply get the word out...I'm doing this to raise money for research.  People will likely not pay more just because it's a record attempt.

(You can tell it's too hot outside for me to be doing any real work today...heat index around 108 again...)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Godot

I sure hear what you are saying.  Personally, I wouldn't donate any money until I am reasonably certain he is honestly serious.  I mean, I could very easily donate money directly to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and know that none was being diverted to fund his sail.  Which brings up the question, how is the donated money being used?

My guess is you are quite right.  He wants to go around the world non-stop.  He probably started feeling guilty about how selfish a trip like this was, so went hunting for a reason.  Or perhaps he felt that non-stop circumnavigations are becoming common enough to not warrant some publicity that he craves (and may also feel guilty about).  That's probably also why the world record attempt is important.  It has to be newsworthy (at least in his eyes).  That doesn't really change anything, though.  Sailing IS a selfish activity.  If it makes him feel better by supporting a worthy cause, no matter what his motivation, I don't have any real problem with it.  I would like to understand where any donations go, though. 

For what it's worth, I sent a few dollars to Nick Jaffe during his trip.  Clearly, that trip was quite selfishly a personal voyage (my favorite kind).  But I enjoyed his story and rewarded him for it.  I've also sent a few bucks Teresa for her iceberg movie (even though I don't understand the point of it), because I like the thought of an adventure (vicariously living until I can do the same myself).
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Godot on August 04, 2011, 03:19:44 PM

Sailing IS a selfish activity.

With you except for this line.  It surely CAN be...no doubt.  But it *IS* selfish in a transcendental way? I don't follow that.

Sailing is a means to get from one place to another. WHY I want to make that trip may be selfish, or it may not.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Godot

We sail for our own benefit and enjoyment. Who could really dispute that? I find nothing st all wrong with it.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"