Tonight's Dessert: Chocolate Mouse Cheesecake done in the pressure cooker

Started by Captain Smollett, January 07, 2012, 07:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Made it yesterday so it could chill overnight, and it met with the approval of the full crew.  This is pretty yummy...a once in a while treat in port.  Got it from the book "Tastefully Under Pressure."

1/2 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
1 pinch ground cinnamon
8 1 oz squares of semisweet chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
2 8 oz packages of cream cheese
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups water

(1) Grease a spring form pan this fits inside the pressure cooker.  Mine is a 7 inch to go inside my 6 quart Fagor PC (9 inches in diameter).  Mix the chocolate crumbs and cinnamon and sprinkle on the bottom of the pan.

(2) Melt the chocolate squares and butter in a small pan and set aside.

(3) Whip the cream cheese until very smooth, then add the chocolate/butter mixture and mix until well mixed.  Add cream, vanilla, sugar, eggs and cocoa powder and mix thoroughly.  I did this whole step in a food processor.

(4) Pour mixture over crumbs in the pan.  Cover with wax paper and then the whole pan with aluminum foil.

(5) Add water to the pressure cooker and place a trivet on the bottom.  Place the cake pan on the trivet in the PC, close the lid, bring up to high pressure (15 psi) and cook for about 45 minutes.

(6) When time is complete, remove from heat and let pressure drop naturally.

(7) Remove the cake pan from the PC and let it cool.

(8) Chill for at least 8 hours before serving.  The book says to remove from the spring pan, but I could not do so...it remained a bit "jiggly" until chilled.  So, I just chilled it directly in the spring pan.  It was fine today, and quite yummy.

When served, I topped with a plop of whipped cream.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Amgine

You have a springform pan on the boat! now that's living... Sounds yummy, and challenging enough for land-based cooks. (Here at home I have the springform, but not the pressure cooker; that may go on my 'need to buy' wishlist.)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Amgine on January 08, 2012, 11:49:57 AM

You have a springform pan on the boat! now that's living... Sounds yummy, and challenging enough for land-based cooks. (Here at home I have the springform, but not the pressure cooker; that may go on my 'need to buy' wishlist.)

I got the springform pan for Christmas for the express purpose of having a pan that fit in the pressure cooker.  I needed it several things, like cooking bread (which I did before in a bowl) under pressure.  (*)

(*) Our pressure cooker has a bonded plate on the bottom that prohibits cooking "dry," like the 'gasket off' baking method.  As such, I pretty much have to use a pan-inside-the-pressure-cooker-and-cook-under-pressure method for baking.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain