Cruising aboard Necessity

Started by CharlieJ, July 26, 2012, 10:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Ok folks, Time to start a brand new thread, this time onboard my 21 footer, Necessity.

Saturday AM, 28 July, 2012, Necessity is scheduled to depart Port Lavaca, in  company with David and Lisa (GrimE) aboard their boat, Miss Froggy. Destination- Offats Bayou, Galveston Tex, by way of Matagorda, Freeport, and what ever other  anchorages strike our fancy.

Return is scheduled for August 5th, or maybe later, as the mood strikes ;D There ARE no firm schedules ;)

The only firm part is we must transit the Colorado River Locks on a weekend, since they are being worked on during the week and aren't open other wise.

Thus begins a new saga of cruising for me-single handed this time, at least for now. Hopefully, the first cruise of many.

One door closes, another one opens
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Fair Winds, and have fun kids!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Cruiser2B

Enjoy! please take and post some pics!
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Frank

Have fun!! Friends, a good book or 3, a box of wine and a lil boat = fun    ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

tomwatt

Fair winds, fresh breezes, friendly smiles and fun times to you all! I'm watching with interest, as there might be a lil' boat shuffle in my own future.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

jotruk

Charlie may you have fair winds and following seas as you began the next stage of life and by all means have fun
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Mario G

Glad to hear your comming out to play again Charlie, any chance we might see you in our area any time?

CharlieJ

She has a trailer :D

Actually the plan is to do some trailer sailing on the east coast, after BEEER 2013, so yeah, a decent chance.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Looks like we may be crossing paths, Charlie. Rachel and I are going to be leaving Freeport with Mona on Wednesday morning. Planning on moving to good ol' Nautical Landings if there's a slip available. We were looking at sailing offshore the whole way, but it would be great to meet you before, during, or after your trip.

See ya' on the "1"?

CharlieJ

Jim- we are in matagorda tonight. Be in Freeport tomorrow(sunday). See ya then, and yes, many emlty slips.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Iwant to take this time to tell all of you how much I appreciate the thoughts. Next weekend will be a year since I was on my own, and it's been hard. But I'm still up swinging,  getting better, and all of you have helped.

Thanks
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Capt. Tony

Once again, Charlie, and now David and Lisa, I live vicariously through you.  But I am happy you are out there doing it...again.  It is people like you that allow people like me to hang onto the dream, and, I refuse to give it up.  One day it WILL be me-so send back lots of good ideas and info for the rest of us. 

Jim_ME

Charlie, Looking forward to following your new adventures.

All the best!

CharlieJ

Necessity is moored at the city marina, Freeport, Tex, along with David and Lisa on Miss Froggy, where we were treated to adinner of grilled Seatrout and a great salad by our friends on Impetuous, a Tartan 37. These folks are the previous owners of Necessity.

Last night, we moored in the marina at Matagorda Tex and I was able to have a "catch-up" visit with an old friend who is harbormaster there.

99 miles of (sad to say) motoring in virtually zero wind, or running 5 mph WITH a 5 MPH wind from astern. . HOT!!

But the new 4 hp Yamaha ate though just 5 gallons of gas for those miles, at an average speed of 5.1 mph. I'm happy;)

Heading tomorrow for Galveston. Again forcast is for 5 mph winds , we'll motor again, but hey- it beats working ;D

Oh- and coming through the Brazos River Locks, the current was RIPPING!! Necessity hit 9.5 at under half throttle :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

Seems nice... Good on ya!  ;D

You sold Tehani then I reckon, how come?

fair winds, Magnus
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

CharlieJ

Not sold, no. Laura now owns her. We separated a year ago, sad to say.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

tomwatt

It has been really quiet onboard "the board" here... glad to see you're still kicking. I have some boat things brewing too. Hope to start a thread in a day or so, maybe include a photo. In the meantime, stay cool, enjoy some boat time!
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

CharlieJ

Well, I'm at anchor in the San Bernard. R,   35 miles east of Matagorda, Tx and I've been loafing ;D

Plan to get back home Sunday. Maybe ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

sorry to hear that Charlie, enjoy your cruise nevertheless!
:o
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Cruiser2B

CharlieJ, Any pics from your cruise?
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail