News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Seeker, a Bayfield 29

Started by Godot, August 17, 2012, 08:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Thanks John- I had lost that when the other computer crashed. Got it saved again.

Also have a long, and very rare, interview with him. VERY complex and deep individual.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SalientAngle

Small world, I interviewed Alan whilst I was a journalism student at Marquette University in 1974, yes, complex is true, insightful, also true, and "chataqua" gave me new meaning in the turmoil of the times, cheers

edit to reflect correct year

Sunset

Charlie I have a hard enough time communicating with complete sentences, let alone word puzzles.  ;) Also if wasn't for spell check you wouldn't be able to make anything out.
84 Islander 28

tomwatt

Love that little bit of reading... I'm often accused of wanted to escape from reality, but I know from past experiences backpacking that ditching the issues society causes us to have to fret about allows us to focus so clearly on the simple things in life, like eating, sleeping, staying alive, etc. It's not escape, but it is freedom. I suppose one has to be a little bit different to think spending days out in the wet and cold is wonderful, but I've always been a little bit different.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Sunset

Interesting reading on the cruising life and dreams. I remember a few years ago sailing from Oriental out into Pamlico sound then back into the ditch to Belhaven NC. My brother and I sailed out of Belhaven the next day in bad weather, our next destination was Bath NC. It was in the 70's so not very cold, but there was a small craft advisory, so it was a bit rough in my little Belhaven 19. I don't remember the name of the water way going south from Belhaven then west towards Bath but it was very rough. The waves were rolling higher than the cabin and when I would surf to the bottom of the wave the spray would come over the cabin and wash my face. The water was cold along with the rain. My brother went below saying there's no need in both of us getting wet. My little boat had a Bimini, but no dodger. I remember thinking as I was sailing for around 4 hours in these conditions that this isn't to much fun. BUT I will have to say afterwards that evening tied up to the bath city dock with dry clothes on and a cup of coffee, it really was fun. Not at the time but after it was over with. That is still the best coffee I ever had. So in a very small way I can relate to the feeling of accomplishment after a miserable day on the water.
84 Islander 28

Godot

It turns out I had a leak in a propane line. After a long day of searching for the right fittings to connect the replacement "pigtail" to the propane system I found out that NOW the instant water heater is working like a champ, so that philosophical  point can be postponed for awhile.

Also, my galley sink faucet pretty much self destructed. Replaced with a nicer faucet ($$$). Took hours longer than anticipated because the supply line changes size THREE times. Stupid, really, and I was tempted to tear all the water lines out and start from scratch; but happily I stopped myself before committing to that much more extensive (and ultimately unnecessary) project.

And THEN the keel on my dinghy detached itself from the boat. Apparently I messed up somewhere along the way. From now on I will use epoxy AND screws to hold anything like that together.

I'm at anchor right now and just realized I left all my pots and pans at home. Either I return home tomorrow, stop in town someplace (Annapolis would be convenient) or I simplify my meal plans.

It's not poor planning, it's adventure!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Frank

""It's not poor planning, it's adventure!""     I really like  that attitude!!!! ;D    Grog to ya

You must be enjoying the "condo" feeling with all the extra room aboard.  Have fun!!

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Godot

The boat feels HUGE in comparison. More systems, of course. I became a diesel mechanic for the first time a couple days ago when the motor stopped pumping cooling water (water pump belt). Happily I've spent a lot of time anchoring under sail in the smaller boat and it wasn't much more difficult in the bigger boat.

I'm hanging at the SSCA Gam in Annapolis this weekend (I was near Annapolis and gave Dave Skolnik of Auspicious a call and he said he was here and I should be too), though, and I am still about the smallest boat here.  Except for three boats in the 22-25 foot range that are rafted together up the river just a tad. I'm not sure if they are part of SSCA or not (I think they are). I'm so used to being the smallest, even being amongst the smallest seems oddly weird. I am within easy eyesight of aCappella, Karen and Jeffrey Siegel's trawler of http://activecaptain.com fame. And I'm anchored right next to Beth and Evans' Hawk (http://www.bethandevans.com). Pretty rarefied company.

It looks like the electrical system is going to be something I have to check out. I came back from one of the seminars (someone said there was a storm cell enroute and I had the boat hatches open) and found battery 1, a brand spanking new battery BTW, just about completely drained. While I didn't throw all the breakers, nothing that was left on should have drained a group 24 battery so completely so quickly. Happily it is one of two and I've been using the 1/2/All/Off switch to generally keep the batteries in isolation. Something is pulling the amps. Gotta find out what.

I figure I need to find the space to put in some more  batteries, anyhow. This boat has more electronic gadgetry, but less battery capacity than s/v Godot. And LEDs. And a manual water pump (I suspect the existing decades old pump is putting a strain on the system as when it's running the lights all dramatically dim).

The diesel is running (and annoying); but charging up the low battery a bit. That is a nice advantage to the beast, not that running with a low load while being used as a generator is particularly healthy for it. So I'm considering what the best plan is to mount some solar panels. I'm thinking a stainless steel arch on the stern makes the most sense. heck, I could make (or buy) dinghy davits and mount on top of those; but I suspect a wind vane is in my future at some point and it would seem that davits and windvanes are not particularly compatible. Hopefully a solar arch wouldn't be too harmful (or too ugly). I'll probably think about it most of the winter before making a decision.

Speaking of solar panels, one of today's seminars was by the svHotwire folks (John Gambill & Libby Ellis). Perhaps unsurprisingly I found that while their presentation was informative, I am mostly pretty well educated in solar/wind generation just from reading the Sailfar forums. Something of a relief.  Nigel Calder's seminar on chart accuracy was somewhat sobering, though.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Godot

Hmmm...The battery seems to be taking a charge a little too fast. Now I think that perhaps it wasn't as drained as I feared and I should be looking for a loose wire.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Frank

Hard to beat solar. Try these guys for price. I've used them for my cottage and boat. May be cheaper out there but best deals I could find

www.sunelec.com

They do sell singles at a bit higher price and have a veried size inventory. Ya gotta call and let them know what size (40in x 30in type thing) and amp you need....they'll try to fit you out.

moondancerl

I own a 1979 Bayfield 29' cutter rig.  Anyone else out there with a Bayfield ?  I sail in Georgian Bay, Lake Huron.  I plan on sailing the North Channel this summer -any suggested routes are welcome -must see anchorages etc would be helpful from anyone.

Cheers
Moondancerl

s/v Faith

Interesting coincidence...

Reading this thread, look out the companionway and a Bayfield 29 has anchored right next to me!

Can not read the name yet, but will check later.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Went and visited "Rainbow Connection" this morning.

Great couple, they have a dog that looks a little like Peter.  Doug's name is Bailey, did not catch their names  :P   Gave them a sticker and an invite.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Godot

Spending quality time on the boat working on a bunch of little projects...

Finally vented the Natures Head composting toilet outside into the deck anchor locker. I was temporarily just having it vent into the below decks chain locker, which was mostly OK; but once in awhile (after particularly heavy use) I'd get a whiff of something I generally prefer not to think about. I think finally finishing this project will take care of this occasional issue.

I removed the door to the head and replaced it with a curtain. Oh, sure, the door gave a more finished appearance and contributed to the illusion of privacy; but when open it intruded into the cabin way too much, and since it needs to remain open to get the benefit of ventilation through the fore-hatch, the curtain becomes more than a bit more practical. Besides, the door knob broke on the door. And it usually didn't shut right anyway.

I installed a new 110VAC electrical outlet on the front of the starboard bunk. Since I prefer to keep all AC power cords safely tucked inside conduit, this was more work than I anticipated. The new outlet will allow running the miniature oil filled radiator style portable heater I purchased without having to plug it into an extension cord. It also is in a convenient place for plugging in an electric blanket, if I go that route.

Regarding the heater, I stayed on the boat last night and the temps dropped to the low 30s. While the heater managed to keep the boat in the mid sixties during the evening, as it got later the inside temperature dropped into the mid-fifties. Not really horrible; but cooler than I'd like. I think for real winter temperatures the boat just won't qualify as the comfy warm cocoon that I desire. At least not with this little 700 watt heater. UNLESS, perhaps, I slide up the dividers between the galley/nav station and the main cabin area (they are really cool...I should take photos), and perhaps add a dividing curtain there as well. Then, with a smaller area to heat, I think the little heater might be able to keep up. If it doesn't work I can always buy a bigger portable heater (or install a built in heater), or better yet, just stay in the nicely heated girlfriend's house, with the very snugly and nicely heated girlfriend.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Frank

bet it feels great to get a few things done..
as to heat...I kinda like the last option   :o

Godot

Oh, yeah, a follow up to previous posts from a long time ago...

The propane water heater is history. I don't really miss it often. This also discourages taking a shower in the head. I use a pump up garden sprayer shower thing that CharlieJ recommended in another thread. Works great on deck, or below if privacy is an issue for some reason. I also sometimes use it to rinse dishes when washing up outside. BTW, a squirt bottle of a water/dish soap solution is a great way to save water.

I rewired the entire boat. Many of the wires were undersized (which I think is why the lights dimmed so dramatically when the water pump was pumping), corroded, or otherwise damaged. When it was all done I found one wire that hooked up directly to the positive terminal of one of the batteries just dangling in the bilge. I'm not sure what it was hooked up to; but it is my number one suspect for the battery drain issue I was experiencing. I love my new electrical panel, too.

The old wet head, holding tank, and all the associated poop (ha ha) that went with it has been torn out of the boat. The Natures Head is much nicer. Mostly. At least I won't have to worry about accidentally overfilling the thing. The resulting geyser with the old system is not one of my more pleasant experiences.

The air-conditioner was well rusted and didn't do a good job of cooling the boat, so I tore it out. It was wired with 14ga wire, anyhow, which I'm pretty sure is way too small. I may replace it eventually (I did run new electrical cable...10AWG, thank you...just in case when I had the boat torn apart); but because of a reconfiguration of the anchor tackle the old location is no longer viable as is. I don't know. I didn't miss it this summer; but as far as summers go it was pretty mild.

There is an anchor locker on deck that held all the anchor rode (small amount of chain and maybe 80 feet of line). I installed a chain pipe in order to open up the chain locker below decks. I now have 90' of 1/4" chain, and a couple hundred feet of plait rode. Way more than I need here in the Chesapeake; but I'm thinking to the future. If I choose to, there is plenty of room for a lot more chain. We'll see. I think 90' is a pretty decent amount. I also installed new bow rollers and a Rocna anchor. I like the Rocna, which digs in aggressively and lets me sleep much more comfortably than I did on the Danforth (which was undersized and prone to dragging if I wasn't very particular with how I set it). And the price seems a lot lower since the Chinese steel scandal (reportedly corrected).

Lots of little reconfigurations that aren't of much interest.

I am pretty much happy with the setup as a live-aboard now. Of course, a woman entered my life and I spend a disproportionate amount of time at her place. Enough were I don't have to worry about paying a live-aboard premium at the marina as I'm only at the boat a couple nights a week. A bonus is the new gal seems to enjoy sailing. Even when I take her out in uncomfortable conditions.  She just might come along when I make my break in a couple years.

Oh, yea, about the "couple years"...it's been a "couple years" for several years now. I think I need to lock down a date, and soon. I'm thinking November 1st, 2015 as my get out of dodge deadline. Earlier is better.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Jim_ME

Quote from: Godot on November 04, 2013, 06:08:17 PM
Oh, yeah, a follow up to previous posts from a long time ago...
Good to read your update. Congrats on your improvements.

I am pretty much happy with the setup as a live-aboard now. Of course, a woman entered my life and I spend a disproportionate amount of time at her place. Enough were I don't have to worry about paying a live-aboard premium at the marina as I'm only at the boat a couple nights a week. A bonus is the new gal seems to enjoy sailing. Even when I take her out in uncomfortable conditions. 
Seems like the best of both worlds.  :)

Godot

I spent a fair amount of time aboard over the winter. I put up the cockpit enclosure which helps hold the heat in, but it really isn't designed to handle snow. So, in November I quickly built a simple PVC and tarp cover...

It worked pretty well all winter long, and I was just about to take it down (hopefully we are past the days of significant snow).

I've been on the boat the past several days. Last night we got gale conditions. After not having any trouble all winter long, the dang frame separated in the high winds last night.

Ah, well. I'm just waiting for the temperature to get above freezing (it was well into the sixties the past couple days...what the heck?...Brrrr....) and I guess I'll have no choice but to put it away. I guess the tarp knew it was time to come down.

Interestingly, I had absolutely no faith that it would hold together all winter. I didn't bold or glue the joints, and the only thing holding the frame together is friction with tie wraps attaching the tarp. I  suspect a couple more bows would have been in order; but I had to stuff everything in my Yaris (I miss my truck), so I kept parts to a minimum. I can't complain. It worked well and was super cheap. Next winter I think I'll spend some time figuring out a better way to get in and off the boat, though. Pulling the tarp back and sneaking under was sometimes difficult, and perhaps a smidge dangerous.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Godot

I'm leaving on a month long sailing adventure four weeks from today (as in Thursday...I just realized the clock ticked over to Friday a few minutes ago). New punch list as of today...

• Empty and recharge head (do a few days before departure)
  • Run safety lines (instead of deck level jack lines, I'm planning on running port and starboard lines pulpit to pulpit, and through a ring at chest level on the outer shrouds...it means unhooking and rehooking when going forward; but I think it will feel more secure).
  • Strap the spare pee bucket (I have a spare bucket for the Composter, and don't need it bouncing around the cabin underway. The thought of a pee filled projectile that could open up at any moment is depressing).
  • Replace main halyard and move the old halyard to the worn out topping lift (done!)
  • Grease winches
  • Replace broken head faucet. Or alternately cap off water line in head.
  • Re-caulk a leaking stanchion.
  • Install new mast boot (the trouble with keel stepped masts. Sadly, off the shelf mast boots aren't sized right).
  • Change diesel oil, filter, and fuel filter (a few days before departure)
  • Check battery electrolyte levels (done!)
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Godot on June 27, 2014, 12:25:36 AM

I'm leaving on a month long sailing adventure four weeks from today

Very cool.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain