Cape Dory 25, crossing the pacific!?!!

Started by NOMN, April 27, 2013, 11:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

It sounds like the boat is on the East side of the Canal? For consideration, perhaps to save $ and get you further to your goals:

Go to a "Find A Skipper/Crew" sites like 7knots.com, take the time to find an experienced someone to join in helping with bringing the boat up the east coast of Central America to Texas, gaining knowledge and experience along the way. Then pull the boat and ship it to the West Coast (So. Cal), and from there sail it up to the PNW.

It's near 4000 sea miles *in straight lines* from the Canal to the Straits near Vancouver Island in the Pacific. You will not be able to do that trip via anywhere near straight lines - most of that is upwind and up-major-ocean-current (Humboldt). Tough going. Gonna need tons of time, or a great engine and lots of fuel, or both. Or take a loooong detour out West Pac way... which might just be the thing to do anyway - and go ahead and stay out there once you are there, what the heck. :)

Alternatively, on the East side it is about 1500 miles to south Tejas (not sure of prevailing winds & current, but IIRC it will be easier going than on the western side of same), and then over land about 1000 miles via truck to San Diego, then you have 'only' ;) 1000 miles up the coast, yet likely with some easily found crew if you want it, since they don't have far to travel to return home when their leg is done. By the time you get back home, you'll know FAR more about your boat and her capabilities.

And if for some reason you discover on the initial "short" trip to from Canal to Texas that either she or "the lifestyle" isn't for you, you have saved a bunch of time and money and have the boat in a relatively secure place with a much better chance at finding a buyer than somewhere in Centro.

Just some thoughts...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Godot

Quote from: NOMN on April 29, 2013, 11:11:05 AM
You guys just saved my life.

Nah, probably nothing so dramatic. There is a good chance you would have discovered that there is more to know than you expected fairly early on. Then you would have been on the path to enlightenment in no time.

Personally, I don't think I'd buy a first boat thousands of miles away. Some people do; but, personally, before buying a boat I want to crawl all over it. I think the Cape Dory would probably work better for you and would probably be a very decent training boat that could take you further afield when the time comes; but buying a boat is almost as personal as selecting a wife, so do what you think is best. Be advised, every single boat I've ever looked at in person looked different from the advertisement. As well there is almost certainly going to be some repair work needed (sigh, there is ALWAYS repair work needed).

Panama is a long way from Washington. Be prepared for some delivery skipper sticker shock. Perhaps, if you really, really love that particular boat (there are lots of boats on the market, so you are certain to have options), it would make sense to fly to Panama and learn how to sail there? Just an idea.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Frank

Adam (Godot) is  correct in saying don't go by pictures! There is a very good saying..."if you want to make a boat look good, take it's picture" ...that line is so true. Right up there with "Good from far but far from good"   :o ;D ;) :'(
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

w00dy

NOMN, when I stated in the other thread that "the map is not the territory", I meant that the ideas you have of sailing in your mind are probably not anywhere close to the realities you will experience when/if you find yourself out there.

Although modern society has us conditioned to operate on the principle of instant gratification, the business of offshore sailing is an arena in which one must pay dues.

For instance, the idea that buying a "seaworthy" used boat is as easy as comparison shopping for Ipods on Amazon is untenable. Even a mass produced boat like the Westsail 32, which was popped out of molds like hotcakes, is a complex and wildly variable thing. Most of the boats that you will be looking at will be older than you are. And while it is not uncommon to see well kept boats half a century or more old, the sad truth is that a boat for sale with no "issues" is a rare find, and even the best boats must be vigilantly maintained if they will be taken to sea.

I love the internet and the information age. The accessibility of knowledge has and will continue to transform our world. But there are no shortcuts. All the lists, books, and consumer reports in the world will not make you a sailor. Like a compass, they cannot take you anywhere, but only point you in the right direction.

Every year, so called "adventurers" who have hardly climbed a mountain before, pay Sherpas to haul themselves up Mt. Everest and then count themselves among the ranks of Mallory and Hillary. I know that "its the journey, not the destination" is a bit tired, but I submit that any "purchased" or otherwise unearned experience will be ultimately unrewarding, if not downright hazardous.

So, if you really want to sail, one of the most important lessons you can begin to learn is patience. :)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: w00dy on April 30, 2013, 01:45:49 AM

So, if you really want to sail, one of the most important lessons you can begin to learn is patience. :)

Excellent.  Multiple grogs for that one.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

NOMN

Quote from: w00dy on April 30, 2013, 01:45:49 AM
NOMN, when I stated in the other thread that "the map is not the territory", I meant that the ideas you have of sailing in your mind are probably not anywhere close to the realities you will experience when/if you find yourself out there.

Although modern society has us conditioned to operate on the principle of instant gratification, the business of offshore sailing is an arena in which one must pay dues.

For instance, the idea that buying a "seaworthy" used boat is as easy as comparison shopping for Ipods on Amazon is untenable. Even a mass produced boat like the Westsail 32, which was popped out of molds like hotcakes, is a complex and wildly variable thing. Most of the boats that you will be looking at will be older than you are. And while it is not uncommon to see well kept boats half a century or more old, the sad truth is that a boat for sale with no "issues" is a rare find, and even the best boats must be vigilantly maintained if they will be taken to sea.

I love the internet and the information age. The accessibility of knowledge has and will continue to transform our world. But there are no shortcuts. All the lists, books, and consumer reports in the world will not make you a sailor. Like a compass, they cannot take you anywhere, but only point you in the right direction.

Every year, so called "adventurers" who have hardly climbed a mountain before, pay Sherpas to haul themselves up Mt. Everest and then count themselves among the ranks of Mallory and Hillary. I know that "its the journey, not the destination" is a bit tired, but I submit that any "purchased" or otherwise unearned experience will be ultimately unrewarding, if not downright hazardous.

I think I read your post like 17 times..

<3.
Makar~--~-

northoceanbeach

I totally agree with the other posters.  I was thinking just like you when I first started which wasn't long ago.  My boat had to e a blue water boat web though I wasn't ready at all. So I ended up buying a kind of rundown boat that I never used because it needed work I couldn't do when I should have bought a boat like I just did and instead of immediately wanting to sail around the world start slower and see what it's like

I sill want to sail far but I'm realizing that my current trip from Seattle to Desolation Sound is an ambitious beginner cruise.  And believe me there is plenty to do.  So where are you?  Buy a boat local and sail in your area then go farther and farther.  You will learn so much in a very short time.  My brain is about to explode I've been cramming so much in it.  I'm ping to go mouse my anchor shackles now.  Just learned that.

Also they are right. I wouldn't travel very far to see a boat.  Half the time tey look nothing like the pictures.  I looke at a Santana 27 that from taiga list I was sure I would get but in person it was NOT right for me. 

s/v Faith

I look forward to hearing of your continuing plans and progress.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.