News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Sleep

Started by s/v Faith, June 17, 2013, 04:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

It is SO much easier to sleep on the boat.

Anybody else find the same thing?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Emerald Tide

Quote from: s/v Faith on June 17, 2013, 04:04:19 AM
It is SO much easier to sleep on the boat.

Anybody else find the same thing?

It depends on how many dogs are on the berth, and if they managed to appropriate the bedding prior to my arrival.

Waking up on the boat certainly offers more opportunities for head-bashing on cupboards/shelves, which is as effective at waking up as coffee... and faster.

jotruk

I always sleep very good on a boat. I enjoy getting up an watching the sunrise and having a good cup of coffee(it always seems to taste better on the boat).
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Frank

Yep!!  I find I go to bed earlier and sleep more hours than at home. Love lazy-rainy-read days as well. Something about a "bunk"  :)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

marujo_sortudo

Yes.  The motion is quite comforting, except when it's not  :P

Bob J (ex-misfits)

I used to keep our sportfishing boat on the merrimac river in newburyport.
When I have trouble falling asleep at home I think about the sound of water flowing against the hull.
Works like a charm.

That is one of the things I look most forward to, just need to finish the project so I can float her.....
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

s/v Emerald Tide

Quote from: misfits on June 18, 2013, 05:35:26 PM
When I have trouble falling asleep at home I think about the sound of water flowing against the hull.
Works like a charm.

That is one of the things I look most forward to.

Me, too, on both counts.  I imagine hearing and feeling it, and drift off to sleep -- to dream of awakening on the water with the sunrise, and perhaps a few dolphins.  I  look forward, with much anticipation, to the next time that it can be the real thing.

Frank

Makes me think of the lil Montgomery 15. Anyone that ever slept on a Monty knows the "sawing sound" of wavelets hitting the lapstrake. Totally unique!! Bothered some....but I enjoyed it.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

NOMN

I don't get a freaking bunk -_-

My "bed" is a sliver of cushion with no lee cloths..

I love it.  ;D
Makar~--~-

Captain Smollett

Quote from: NOMN on June 19, 2013, 05:44:30 PM

I love it.  ;D

Unless that sliver of cushion with no lee cloths is on the sole, you might want to give some thought to getting set up to sleep at sea before you start your journey across the Pac.  Of course, you'll figure out pretty quick if it works well or not.   ;)

In my opinion, getting proper rest is one of the most important "seamanship" skills one can have.

"Sleep is a weapon" --Robert Ludlam
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

NOMN

Quote from: Captain Smollett on June 19, 2013, 05:49:18 PM
Quote from: NOMN on June 19, 2013, 05:44:30 PM

I love it.  ;D

Unless that sliver of cushion with no lee cloths is on the sole, you might want to give some thought to getting set up to sleep at sea before you start your journey across the Pac.  Of course, you'll figure out pretty quick if it works well or not.   ;)

In my opinion, getting proper rest is one of the most important "seamanship" skills one can have.

"Sleep is a weapon" --Robert Ludlam

I know O_O

Any ideas?!

I was thinking about making a foldable "table" to extend the port setee. then I can't roll off, LOL
Makar~--~-

s/v Faith

If the bunk works in calm wx, there is nothing wrong with sleeping on the cabin sole underway when it gets rough.... Lee cloths are not tough to rig though, on Faith they are made of old sail cloth.... Pretty basic.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Auspicious

As Craig points out - the sole is a good place. You can't fall off the floor.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CharlieJ

Lol. Been there. On a 41 footer!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

okawbow

Quote from: Auspicious on June 22, 2013, 12:06:03 PM
As Craig points out - the sole is a good place. You can't fall off the floor.
I beg to differ! I was anchored on the Tombiggbee 2 years ago, when the big tornados came through. I fell off the floor, on to the cabin side during the 2 knockdowns I experienced. (always stow all loose gear away when not in use!) Started thinking about a safety belt for the bunk after that. Haven't needed it since though.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.