News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tehani

Started by CharlieJ, May 04, 2013, 08:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

For those who don't know, when Laura and I split up, she took Tehani, and I bought back another small trailerable  we had owned before.

I was not going to say much about it, but Laura posted the following on her Facebook page, so I suppose it is now general knowledge

Quote-

"For the first time in 20 years or more, I have no sailboat. I took Tehani for a sail and the top of her beautiful wooden mast broke. One of the side stays dug into the exposed wood at the top of the mast so the whole rig did not come down. It was very loose and wobbly, to say the least. I scrambled around and tied some lines to secure it as best I could. The bay was a little lumpy but we managed to make it back with no more problems. I have felt bad for some time. I have not had the time, money or tools to take care of her properly and wasn't sure what to do. I did find a trailer for her and had planned to get her out of the water this fall so I could work on her. Slip fees were taking there toll on my wallet. The answer always becomes clear if I am patient enough to wait for it. Tehani has gone home with Charlie on her trailer which happened to fit her almost perfectly. Charlie will have no problem rebuilding her mast. He is a very skilled woodworker with a heart full of love for boats. Tehani will be happy. And I will be fine."

End quote

I have begun the rework, and as soon as I complete it, Necessity will probably go on the market again. I can't afford, nor do I need, two cruising boats, and Tehani is by far the better sea boat. I feel very bad for Laura as she really loved the boat and is heartsick at giving her up, but I'm excited to have her back again.

So perhaps the thread-"From Tehani, out cruising" will resume one day

Tehani on her trailer, and the broken off mast head-
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Travelnik

I'm glad she's in good hands.

Looking forward to the updates.

I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Tim

Wow Charlie what a turn of events, under the circumstances it is hard for me to be happy or sad, since I know you both. I guess I can be happy for Tehani though cause I know she will be fit and trimmed soon.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Thank you Tim. I'm sad for Laura, but I suppose things happen for the best. I hope so
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Charlie, you both remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Too bad you cannot find a way to keep Necessity and a way to best utilize them both...Tehani here on the E. Coast and the trailer boat available for there and hauling to various locations, maybe? 

But, I certainly understand if that's not in the cards.

As for:

Slip fees were taking there toll on my wallet.

Here at least, there are plenty of well protected anchorages.  Kept the A-30 on anchor in Georgetown for 18 months...no slip fees.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Mario G

I'm happy for you Charlie must be Tehani couldn't go on with out you.

I feel for Laura and i'm sure at some point she will be at a helm again.

northoceanbeach

Did you have a nice breakup?  I can't imagine breaking up and she gets the boat!

CharlieJ

We're still friends, and it's a long story.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Hi Charlie, I just happened to log on tonight after being away for some time, and saw this thread.

I am happy for you, too, and think that things may have happened for the best, as you say, under the circumstances.

Also wish for the best for both you and Laura, and that she will be sailing again soon, and will find another boat, if that is her goal.

Reading this I had the same thoughts as John, wondering if the medium boat and smaller boat for trailer sailing might work well for you?

I think about how well it worked for John to bring his trailer sailboat up here to New England last summer. Or as Frank and others have also done.

I hope to do this myself and to trailer a boat down to his, and eventually your area.

It will be good to read about the further adventures of Tehani...

CharlieJ

As a final follow up to this particular thread. Necessity has been sold, to a very good friend, She's a highly experienced sailor, and will use the boat. She's happy about the purchase, I'm happy Necessity will be used, by someone who will appreciate her.

Tehani now sits on a very heavy duty trailer, capable of hauling her safely to anywhere. I'll have to rent a tow vehicle to do so, but that's not a problem. For the next little while though, my sailing will be on the gulf coast, where I won't NEED to tow.

And that's a LOT of water ;D

Many will note that my profile has been changed to reflect the change.

And time marches on.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

okawbow

I'm happy for you, Charlie. It just seems right that you have her back.

Chuck Jones
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Grime

You need to update your photo. That one is more than 4 years old taken by Travis.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

Older than that even, but yes, I need a new one. When I get her back afloat, we need to go out on a picture taking sail. :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Well, I guess that WON'T be the final post about Tehani :D :D

Pulled the outboard the other day, after some 7 years continuous exposure to salt water- it always stays in the water- lives in a well, Had James and Rachel (Ralay) over to assist- took all three of us :o

Anyway, here's how it looked after removal. I disassembled the carb, flushed it out and reassembled, and got the engine running fine. Then put the engine on a hoist and started scraping, sanding, wire brushing(bronze brush), repeat.

Then it looked like this. Only allows 200 K so next post has more pics
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Now it looks like this. Two coats of Zinc Chromate primer.  Tomorrow it gets the first real paint, then anti fouling on lower leg. Then gets put on a stand so I can work on the lower cowl. Can't do that while it's hanging.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

I am in favor of painting boats to look like electric bananas.

CharlieJ

:D :D

Too late- it turned black today

:D :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Some new pics of the engine repaint.

Leg got first coat of anti fouling primer. Waiting for new impeller and other parts to arrive
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

And a before and after of  tiller and lift bar. Tomorrow it goes onto a rack so I can finish the lower part of the engine cowling.. Ropes are blocking that right now. Soon be done ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

And that is why I like Yamaha.

My old 6 HP 2 stroke stayed in the water from 2004 to 2009 pretty much all the time.  I would bring it up every once and a while for a new zinc and a scrub....  Corrosion was not bad at all.

The Tohatsu 4 stroke, it started looking like it was getting corossion within 2 days!  Little things Like bolt heads and the edge of the cavitation plate.... Much mild steel on the exterior....

Have not had that problem on any of my yamahas.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.