News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Southern History

Started by Captain Smollett, December 21, 2005, 12:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I must preface this with the fact that I know I am more SB than LD.  And compared to everyone else on this forum, it seems, emphasis on the S. ;)

But my little cruiser has at least one thing going for her: very shallow draft.  With the board up, she only draws 18 inches.  This is ideal for the exploration of the Georgia, SC and NC coasts, especially the marshes, smaller rivers and creeks.

My 2006 plans are to fit at least one, possibly two, multi-day cruises along the central SC coast.  With the invaluable advice of our illustrious CapnK, I have our first trip planned. This will involve the exploration of the area around McClellanville and Cape Romain.  In the second trip, I want to hit the area just south of Charleston.

It is my goal to "visit" as much SC coastal history as I can.  Of course, I have more than a passing interest in pirates and the Navies during the Great of Age of Sail.  But in researching the coastal region, I've also discovered some other tidbits.

For example, I want to visit the area of the 1739 Stono Rebellion, one of the bloodiest slave revolts in the South.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Iceman

We need to talk
When we did the intercoastal to New Bern NC
with the Tartan 30, we went to Charleston SC in January one year after HUGO

Spent some time at Stono Marina

Ice

Oldguy52

Capt Smollett,

I have to agree, there is one heck of a lot of stuff to see, right here is this country. Years back, before I got into sailboats (late bloomer) I always said I'd like to just take off in the car and do nothing but travel from one historical marker to the next and soak all I could about how this country became what it is and who was responsible. The only difference now is I want to do it by boat and bike. Hearing you guys all talking about it is giving me the itch. I wish there was a quick and easy way out of all these "American Dreams" I've worked myself into ........ I'd be gone.....:)
Rik

PS "Flicka" hull #230
S/V Happy Little Girls 2
http://www.signsbyrik.net/rik/our_flicka.html

CapnK

The first monohull I looked at buying was at the Stono Marina. I'd forgotten about that. She was a Columbia 30, IIRC, and she was in *sad* shape. Had dual waterlines - inside and out. Maybe that means she would sail twice as fast, but I doubt it. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

oded kishony

I saw a description of a circumnavigation of the Chesapeake with visits to all the lighthouses. This seemed like a very nice way to spend a few weeks. I would like someday to go down the intercoastal and cruise the Keys or Caribbean. I'm not sure if my Paceship PY26 (centerboard/diesel) is fit enough to handle the Caribbean.

oded kishony

Frank

Keys and Bahamas for sure !!!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

So far I've done the entire ICW, both east coast and gulf, from Norfolk at Mile 0, down to the keys, crossed Fla via the Ochachobee waterway and sailed the gulf Icw all the way to Port Aransas Texas. My short term goal is to complete that last leg from Port A to Port Isabelle at the southern tip of Texas.

Long term I intend to take Laura around to have HER do the whole ICW. She's done from here (Port Lavaca) to Fl Walton Beach Florida already (Tehani's shake down cruise)- we don't want to do THAT part again :-\ cause that requires mostly motoring. Next spring our intentions are to sail from here to P'cola on the outside, at least around Louisiana. Mississippi Sound is great sailing, so wouldn't mind doing that again.

While on the east coast, we'll of course have to sail the Chesapeake and perhaps jump over to the Bahamas.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Okay, I'm going to slightly modify (improve?) my southern history plans a little bit.  I've been doing some reading about shipwrecks along the GA, SC and NC coast and plan to pick ones of interest and visit their sites.  Charleston Harbor provides a rich background for this "project."

(These will serve as history lesson field trips for my home-schooled children).

For example, this page gives some good detail on a number Civil War era wrecks), which is summarized on the map shown on the Charleston Harbor Map.  We may hold a type of memorial service at the sites.

As another site visitation project, I'd like to see all the lighthouses along the GA,SC and NC coast.  Some of them have rich history as well.

(Will expand beyond GA, SC and NC later).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain