Business Insider extolls virtues of living aboard

Started by Captain Smollett, June 28, 2013, 01:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

At least for one case, they are calling it a pretty shrewd way to stay out of debt (in this case for grad school).

Student Avoids Debt By Living on a Boat

It does make me wonder if this kind of publicity will give more people the idea, drive up slip costs, used boat prices, etc...? 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cruiser2B

I still think for most people they see living aboard as "camping" and while cheap, camp grounds aren't over flowing. This is what I have noticed when telling others of my ideas of living of the grid so to speak. Most people cannot fathom that idea.
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Grime

We live off the grid.

We live full time in a RV and have a boat that we also spend a lot of time on.  People do wonder how we do it. We got rid of the stuff.

RV parks are getting more and more expensive. A large number have restrictions on age and type of RV that they will allow.

Not out cruising but from doing research on marina's they are getting more and more expensive. I fell they are trying to do as RV parks are doing. Weeding out what they feel is the lower class.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

rorik

"most people they see living aboard as "camping""

A friend of twenty years, when I bought Mathilda, told me I was "crazy to be living out of a bag at my age"..... we haven't really talked much since.

"Weeding out what they feel is the lower class."

I've noticed that here, in the PNW, too.
I have one of the oldest, and smallest, boats in my little marina.
There are even a couple of yards that won't haul wooden boats unless they are new.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

SalientAngle

headless??? I think something was missed in this portion of the interview:

"His resourcefulness didn't end there. Pearce replaced the toilet with a wood-burning stove, which doubled as a heater when the cabin got to a numbing 17 degrees Fahrenheit. He cooked meals onboard, too, using drift wood from the nature reserve for fire."