CookMate parts on Origo Stove?

Started by cap-couillon, August 17, 2013, 11:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cap-couillon

Refurbishing the old Origo 4000 2 burner non pressurized alcohol stove. Thought about putting in gas, but expensive to install and run. Have had problems in past with pressurized alcohol burners, but this one is so simple how hard couid it be. (Think Sterno).

Anyway a number of items I would like to have, have gone missing over the years. Pot holders, Tank gaskets, and flame spreaders.  Defender has the parts, but they stock Cookmate parts as well. Looks to me that the parts I need are identical except for price. (Example: Origo tank gaskets $17.00 ea, CookMate tank gaskets $10.00 a pair) Has anyone tried using CookMate parts on an Origo stove? I am sure I will be able to modify if neccessary as they are "non operationally important" but still would like to hear from anyone who has tried interchanging parts

TIA
Cap' Couilllon
Cap' Couillon

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
SailingOffTheEdge.com

Rick Westlake

Tank gaskets? For an Origo?

I bought a 12" x 12" sheet of red neoprene gasket material at a hardware store for something under $5. Cut in quarters - leave them square - four gaskets, two for your stove and two for the guy with the same stove down the dock.

cap-couillon

Thanks Rick..  Actually I planned about the same thing for the tank gaskets. (Rubbermaid Drain Covers) and the gasket material is a great idea. Biggest question was the pot holders and flame spreaders. As I said, I am sure I can modify to fit if necessary so will probably go ahead and try em out.

Tks again.
Cap' Couillon

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
SailingOffTheEdge.com

ncsailing

Quote from: Rick Westlake on August 19, 2013, 06:23:35 PM
Tank gaskets? For an Origo?

I bought a 12" x 12" sheet of red neoprene gasket material at a hardware store for something under $5. Cut in quarters - leave them square - four gaskets, two for your stove and two for the guy with the same stove down the dock.

Hi Rick,

What store did you buy the neoprene from?  I can only find sheets online at amazon.  Also what thickness is it?  3/8, 1/4, 3/16?   I'm thinking of buying the 3/8 12x12 sheet from Rubber-Cal.  Here's the link for different sized neoprene material at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ANeoprene%20Gasket%20Material

I also found this site Sea Mark Nunn which is in Europe but sells 2 gaskets for five euro for both the Origo and Cookmate.  Of course shipping and waiting for it to arrive is going to add to that.  Website link below.

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/gasket-set-2-for-safe-flare-fuel-canisters-origo-cookmate-2300.html

nocturne

I found Sail Far and this thread while searching for Origo gaskets. I stumbled onto some Prefix Engineering branded gaskets on ebay that claim to be suitable Origo generic replacements. Anybody bought these or heard of this brand. They're slighty bigger and pretty cheap.

jotruk

Welcome aboard nocturnal, glad you were able to find us. I think you will find the people here very helpful and more to willing to tackle most problems .
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock