News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

awnings and bug screens

Started by skylark, August 23, 2013, 11:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

I would like to mod my sailboat to add a big awning and bug screens that roll down.

Anybody have any advice on how to add a sunscreen that covers the cockpit or more of the boat, and bug screens that roll down?

I'd like to DIY but may hire it out.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Frank

I had them made on my 23. They zipped onto the bimini top. I spec'd sunbrella for the lower 12 inchs....when button'd down it not only kept out bugs, but blocked most of the wind from your body when sitting....that was really nice on cool windy days. It gave a feeling of some privacy as well while at anchor. It would be beyond my abilities to make this set up...but it sure worked nice
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

I use a double "cot cover" purchased from REI.

It is just a large rectangle of net, with tiedown points.... 

http://www.rei.com/product/729007/mombasa-outback-travel-net-double

I just drape this over Faith's Bimini and dodger and it keeps the bugs at bay....  I also have a small square of screen I put in the foredeck hatch.

One other trick I use for just keeping them out of the cabin is called a "baby carrage net".  They are hard to find any more, but you can get them off of eBay.  It is a square of net with elastic all around, it stretches over most companionways and is nice when you want something simple and fast to keep the bugs out of where you sleep.

I am not a fan of screened hatch boards just because of the space they take up.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

skylark

I don't have a bimini yet, is that a DIY project?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

skylark

Here is another type of screen that might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Creations-JB5678-Outdoor-Umbrella/dp/B003IR1TKM/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_z

It is open at the top with a drawstring.

I was thinking of mounting an umbrella in the cockpit but that would interfere with sailing.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

Quote from: skylark on August 24, 2013, 11:10:03 AM
I don't have a bimini yet, is that a DIY project?

Yep- I've made three of them. Well, I bent the tubing for the frames and Laura sewed the covers. SailRite has a CD that goes into DEEP detail on doing it.

I made the first frame from EMT tubing, which was cheap. Lasted four years. But it was a good learning tool. Borrowed a pipe bender to do all of them.

Here's one of them, with a garden shade screen snapped to the back- blocks a lot of sun and heat
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

Are the fittings from Sail-Rite?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

some are yes, some from a local canvas shop, now out of business.

SailRite is nice to work with

Defender industries also has them. 
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cruise

I bought a very large mosquito net from a military store but have decided how to rig it yet.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.