News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

pacific north west

Started by Frank, October 08, 2013, 08:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Heading out to Bellingham on monday, then boating up to Sidney Vancouver Island and working our way to Desolation Sound, Bute Inlet and Quadra Island area. This is a simply beautiful part of the world!!! Snow capped mountains, fiord like settings, orcas, sea lions and tons of bald eagles. The fishing is great as well. This will be my 4th cruise out there.....I just love it. Each trip was during the fall and you rarely see another boat once you get further north. Off seasons have benefits.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CaptMac

Sounds great, what kind of boat will you be cruising on?
Seafarer 26

Frank

Will be travelling on "the dark side"  ;D  A friend has a trawler and 1st invited me back in 08.
Waking up in the morning, turn the furnace up, put coffee on, sit back, warm and dry... looking out through the damp-cool morning mist at the mountains with the coffee smell lingering in the air. Ask me if I missed a cockpit?   ;D :o ::) Best boat type for fall cruising up in the PNW

Frank

Quick update:
Bellingham Wa though SanJauns to Sidney Vancouver Island...cruised up through the Gulf  islands with several stops enroute to Naniamo, then crossed the Gulf to Pender harbour (friends there)...then down to Gibson's landing...then yesterday to downtown Vancouver.  Vicky flys in tomorrow...a quick tour of the Gulf Islands then up to Desolation Sound-Bute Inlet-Quadra Island area.  I love it out here. Few active boats this time of year, funkie people and beautiful scenary!!!!

Tim

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  Pictures!!!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

once I figure out this darn computer.....
I hate change. You learn one way..then things get switched!!
Kinda like going to a town you know but the streets are all different!
Wish windows 98 was still going   ;D

s/v Faith

Thanks for sharing Frank!  I suppose it is something like "the right tool for the right job"...

Of course it is easy for me to. Say so, once again posting from the warm Nav station of my favorite Pearson 424 ;)

Enjoy your trip!  Hope you get the pictures figured out soon!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Fog set in for the entire crossing from Bellingham to Sidney and later from Naniamo to Pender....actually most of the week. I'm a minimist by nature...but radar was SO comforting!
These are new waters for me. Much stronger currents in the narrows with tides, shipping lanes and lots of rock.

Frank

Frank

There were porpoises visit and swim with us. lots of seals and it was fun to watch a sealion break water trying to get a seagull

Frank

The scenary speaks for itself....

Frank

Frank

Frank

Tim

Thank You Frank, but now I am crying even more  :'( :'( :'(  ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Vicky landed yesteray. Had been anchored in "false creek" Vancouver. Headed over to Nanaimo today.
I forgot to mention that Gibson's Landing had some colourful signs.
One was a "cougar sighting"
The other...well...I booked Capt K into!!!!!

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Beautiful photos, Frank.  :)

I was thinking that the rocky coast and forested hills could be the coast of Maine. In the last photo, though, the mountain range is bigger.

Seems like being SF drunk and cougars could be a bad combination?  ;)

Frank

Depends....Some "cougars" are more dangerous if you're drunk than others!!    ;) :o
We are heading up to Desolation Sound in about a week. Then you definately won't confuse the coasts. I'll post pictures later...it is SO beautiful there!

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on October 31, 2013, 11:05:08 AM
Then you definately won't confuse the coasts.

Oh, there you go now...playing that stereotypical geographic illiteracy card!!  :'(  ;)