Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

pacific north west

Started by Frank, October 08, 2013, 08:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on October 31, 2013, 11:05:08 AM
Depends....Some "cougars" are more dangerous if you're drunk than others!!    ;) :o
It's true...one is a terrifyingly dangerous predator who would just as soon bite your head off as look at you...and the other is just a big cat.  :)

Jim_ME

It was the scenery in your current photos that reminded me of the rocky coast here. I did expect that as you got closer to those big mountains in the distance of the last photo, that similarity would diverge. I?ve seen a few photos of those bays with the dramatic mountains as their shore. They must be amazing to see in person. Hope that I get there, too, one day. Perhaps the closest thing that we have here in Maine is the mountains of Acadia National Park rising from the bays around the Island. Quite striking to experience, but may seem more like hills compared to the mountains out there in the Pacific Northwest. Still, I'll be content for now to get back to sailing around Acadia again. 

Looking forward to more photos. :)

Frank

Maine is SO beautiful as well. The cliff on Moosehead lake is pretty amazing on it's own!!
we're about a week away from desolation sound...will post once some "snow topped mountains" come into view
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

[ [/quote]
It's true...one is a terrifyingly dangerous predator who would just as soon bite your head off as look at you...and the other is just a big cat.  :)
[/quote]

GROG    :o :o

Frank

Frank

Tugs working in lumber industry. Huge saw dust shavings on barges. Nice big rock

Frank

Simply beautiful. Look beyond the marina (Gibsons)

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

Wonderful!

That has to be one of the most scenic marinas anywhere.  :)

Frank

Yep. It is Gibson's Landing. Kinda makes you feel like Alaska. We're visiting friends here friday before heading up towards Desolation Sound. Wifi is less frequent up there....will be anchored out most of the time. Here's another picture from this marina. It really is awesome. Cheap too with off season rates.

Jim_ME

It is strange to see the boats in the water and yet all that snow in the background.  :)

CapnK

Quote from: Frank on October 30, 2013, 11:18:29 PM
The other...well...I booked Capt K into!!!!!

Gee, Thanks Frankie! :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Capt K.....you KNOW the 1st step is "admitting"........ ;D :o

But....nice play on the words   ::)

Frank

Update: We are at Heriot Bay Inn/Marina on Quadra Island. 1st wifi in a while. Since the last post....it has been amazing! We headed N, stopped at Pender Harbor to visit a friend, then headed up to Lund. Something about Lund...not sure...but it "feels right". I just like it there. From Lund we headed N to Desolation Sound.  Once you turn at Sarah Point....the scenary becomes breathtaking. Multiple snow capped mountains with countless bays and islands. Chime in Tim...or anyone else that has experienced it.  We poked around many anchorages with my favorite being Melanie Cove. Around the turn of the last century a logger became fed up with things and settled into the head of Melanie Cove to "figure life out". "Old Mike" logged his property, built his cabin and then...to provide funds in his later years...planted apple trees so he would have something to sell the logging camps for income. He read Plato, Emmerson and many other classics in his "search". I guess...in many ways he was like  Thoreau...but unlike Thoreau, this was not a 2yr "experiment", rather his permanent lifestyle. He died in the late 30's...nearly 4 decades after clearing his lot. Anyhoot...it was fun walking the grounds his cabin (long gone) stood on. From Desolation Sound area, we headed NW towards Bute Inlet and my 1st experience timing tidal rapids. With a fair range from high to low...several narrows become extremely dangerous if not passed on or near "slack tide". After coming up 'Calm Channel" our 1st pass was "Arron Rapids" which went extremely well. From there we continued the short distance towards "Dent Rapids" which lead to Cordero Channel. We were heading to Shoal Bay for the night. Well...we all have had "majic moments" cruising. I've got a few miles under a keel and must say that the few short miles from Dent Rapids to Shoal Bay are right up there with my best every moments boating! As we headed through Dent Rapids, there was about 16 Sea Lions sunning on a rock ledge. Geez they are huge!!  There were 3 Bald Eagles flying above! As we were about to clear into the channel...a Humpback Whale blew right off our stbd beam!! He followed us for over a mile. Vicky joked "we had a stalker". The usual seals could be seen along shore as well. Then as we neared Nodales Channel entrance, about 30 porpoise's swarmed us and played at our bow for over 45 minutes!!! Simply amazing!! They are smaller than dolphins and much more agile. They would speed in towards our bow and turn at the last second. It was obvious they were having fun and enjoying the company!! A short distance after they finally left us, we turned into Shoal bay and were only settled a short time when our Humpback friend breached water and blew. I guess he was following but heading farther NW than we were. It was awesome to watch as he would suface 3 times then dive deep. 8-10 minutes later he would blow again. We felt like we were in "Animal Kingdom"...the entire time surrounded by mountains. We are again provisioned and heading back up. Good news/bad news.  Good news is I have a ton of pictures and luckily got the whale, porpoise's and sealions on video as well. Bad news is I can't post until I get home mid December. (computer troubles)   PS...we have this play ground to ourselves!! The chap at Shoal Bay said we were the 1st cruising boat through since mid October!  

Tim

Frank, I just read this two times in a row, shaking my head the whole time. You are so freaking fortunate to be up there this time of year in a boat that is made for it. I have got to get to work on the same and make it happen. Dang I want to be back up there. Keep up the reports even without pics.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

I feel blessed being here. It is amazing!!!

Jim_ME

It does seem amazing to experience so much wildlife in one area. Am eager to see the photos and videos when you get back.

Old Mike and his cabin sounds a bit like Dick Proenneke, immortalized in his film programs on PBS.

CharlieJ

Pics are great, SO glad you are having fun, but it's just too durned cold up there for this gulf coast sailor ;D

Hey it was 41 the other morning and I was forced into SOCKS!!! And jeans instead of shorts!!! Yuck!!

:D :D

Beautiful area though- keep having fun
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

CJ....it's not too cold. The boat has an espar diesel forced air heater!! I'm cruising from inside the wheel house with slippers on...coffee in hand   ;D ;)  

Tim

Some photos Frank emailed me;

The sealions are bigger than I expected.
The humpback stayed with us for several miles....
as did the porpoises.
As you round every bend, the scenary changes and you want to take out the camera.

W.A. Ward