Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

pacific north west

Started by Frank, October 08, 2013, 08:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

A few thoughts...

We passed a total of 8 tidal rapids that must be timed for "slack" ..some run 12knts at full flow with whirlpools and standing waves. We made 4 pass's through narrows with "range markers". Granite is very unforgiving and there's planty of shoals. Tidal books and navigation are key. The Straight of Georgia or Queen Charlette Sound can get really nasty...they are big bodies of water. Then...throw in fog.

That said...with basic navigation skills, some experience and an eye to cautious seamanship....it can be done by most anyone.

Tim knows the beauty of the PNW ...I'm sure he'll agree it's well worth the effort.

Gogot makes a very valid point. As with any area that has a lot of boats...there are deals. Beside me tonight is a Tanzer 26 with a honda outboard for $3000. One could buy it....cruise N for a several months and put it for sale at the end. I doubt it would be worth less and with a lil TLC, most likely more. Great idea!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

CJ...thats not frost...that's "solid heat"......much like the rain here is "liquid sunshine"   :D ::)

I have come to love an espar heater   ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Jim_ME

Beautiful photos, Frank. 

Thanks and congrats.  :)