Main Menu

pacific north west

Started by Frank, October 08, 2013, 08:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

Thank you for the report, Frank.  :)

Look forward to seeing the photos. 

Frank

The cruise is over...hauling out next tuesday. Always go into a state of depression come this time....I'd much rather turn the boat around and head back N.  (yes CJ...I typed N)   ;)   Anyhoot...as all know...local knowledge is king while in new places. I spent some time poking around and found a fenced storage area with security cameras and controlled entry for only $50 mth as well as another guy to haul/launch for 1/2 of what I paid last year. It was time well $pent. Nice folks too. Once home...I'll post a few pictures but for now I'll leave it that if you really like nature and the PNW is within hitting distance...GO!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Godot

Sounds great, Frank. The PNW is nowhere convenient, sadly. Might be fun some day, though, to find a small boat for sale in the area, cruise for a couple months, then sell it. If only I could find some way to make money without actually showing up at work...

Man, I found out about that post cruise depression thing. It took me a month and a half before I started feeling like myself.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Frank

Gets worst every year. I think I just gotta live aboard  :o

Frank

Humpbacks every crossing of BlackFish Sound..

Frank

Tacky marina weather..

2nd picture is Billy Proctor's place. A lifer...he logged and commercially fished. In his late 50's he became an enviromentalist and lobbied to protect wild salmon as well as Bond Sound (never logged) He is featured in 2 books, an encredible wealth of knowledge! I was lucky to be there and talk to him and tour his property and see his collection of...as he calls it "junk" that he's accumulated over his lifetime...a true historical museum. A wonderful unassuming guy!!

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

No big story...I'll let the pictures talk....

Frank

Bond Sound was never logged or the feeder stream never ruined. It is now "saved" and never will be. We anchored and I dingy'd in close. There were a ton of different birds...the sounds were amazing! Salmon were nearly done but a few still swam up. There were seals and at one point I counted 76 Bald Eagles from the dingy. There are 17 in this picture alone!! (a few immature) Unreal when man doesn't F things up!!

Frank

We were a bit late for Orca...but often saw humpbacks. They can get to 78,000Lbs!!
We saw this guy later near Lund while returning. He breached clear out of the water twice!! One heck of a splash!!

Frank

It rains often and last year during a very heavy spell...Knight Inlet had over 60 landslides. When it gets too saturated, heavy and slippery...it just cleans off to the rock base on the way down. Must be wild to witness

Frank

Frank

We saw Dolphins often...typically in small pods of 5-10. I have video of us with more than 200 around the boat!!! It was a surreal experience. I guess they were feeding. The dolphins here are smaller than Florida or Abacos. They are light grey with white shades. We had large pods of porpoises as well...25-30. They are smaller, faster and look like mini killer whales (black/white) Videos...no pics  :(

Very few windy days. This was at the lower end of Bute inlet (snow capped mountains a lil further up)

Yep CJ....a few days we had frost till the afternoon   :o

Frank

We ended up with 1063 nautical miles (1222 statute miles)....all at about 6.5 knots. The amazing thing was we only saw one other cruising boat for one night! It truly is deserted this time of year. There are a few work boats running but even they are few and far between as you get N.
I didn't put town pictures on. We provisioned at Powell River, a bit at Lund, and twice at Port Mcniel while N (a great, boat friendly stop) I figured it was the scernery I came for and figured we've all seen town docks.
Lots more pictures but don't want to load up the site too much.

Tim

Absolutely Gorgeous, thank you thank you
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Really lovely but I'll enjoy the pics thank you. I much prefer warm. Bahamas sound nice- not the same scenery for sure, but no cold either.

Lovely pics Frank- glad ya'll had a good time.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera