Wind-vane: Now? Or wait for next boat?

Started by Rick Westlake, October 31, 2013, 01:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt195583

I converted from wheel to tiller  :-\ mainly so I could use my Aries easier but as luck would have it the second hand Aries I bought needs a couple of bushes replacing. One fe I get it sorted I will set the autopilot up to piggyback the Aries further improving current draw and AP life when it's needed.

w00dy

Let me know how that goes. I have an Aries and am considering something similar with my little ST1000. It's rated for a much smaller boat than mine, but I'm hoping I can use it in conjunction with the vane.

matt195583

For sure woody, we are in the same boat so to speak with my st2000 being a touch on the light side I can't say when it will happen but hopefully soon mate.

Oscar

For those interested in an affordable wind vane self-steering solution, check out the Hebridean Wind Vane. I'm seriously considering buying plans (?150) or a kit (?330), and perhaps beefing up the design a bit.

CapnK

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Steve Bean

Seadogdave

Definitely interested in that Hebridean Wind Vane.  I would love to hear how it goes if anyone tries to build it.  Are there any other DIY KISS wind vanes out there?
Seadogdave

Godot

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay