Portsmouth VA to the Keys

Started by seolbetha1, March 21, 2006, 10:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seolbetha1

Well Hi there agian Cptn K,
   Jack here agian S/V "Seol Betha" Catalina 25 well the adventure started in Portsmouth VA and I have done the ICW been off shore.. did the the Okachobee Crossing and here in Marathon FL.... from here wehre next? not to sure I do pan on hanging out here for a bit.... the trip for me has been a life experience that money could not buy ... I ran into a guy in La Belle who is also cruising on a catalina 25 increadiable what this guy has done to his boat.... left me with plenty of ideas.... if any one out there is curious drop me a line and I will be more than glad to let you know what this guy had set up on  his and any curious about stops on the way here 
let me know I will be more than glad to give you some helpfull advice on stops and place not to stop......only one of those on my list "little shark river" the bugyiest stop  I mean there was so many that you were covered head to toe with "No Seeums" If you decide to drop the hook there make sure you have bug netting and the best bug spray money can buy ....
  again hope everyone out there is haveing as great of a time as I am .... and If not  un tie those lines and get out there ad you will not regret a single moment of it at all
Cptn Jack
S/V "Seol Betha"

xroyal

Prefer a Pearson, but like the Cat25 space/layout. What changes would you like to make most? Do you think that size boat will satisfy you for a while? TIA for your reply!
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

xroyal

Retraction: Yesterday I was invited on a Catalina 25 for the first time. To darn snug for my taste for more than overnights. All of those fisheye, wide angle lenses used for net pic ads had me drooling. More likely a 30'er in my future.

Still, I'm happy if it works for you.  ;)

John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

hearsejr

I'm planning the same trip soon in a 22'er. where are the cheapest place to get water on the ICW?
my boat only draws about a foot with the keel up. ..almost 6 with it down. I'm going to save the fual as much as I can for charging the bat.s, and getting in to a snug cubby hole when a big storm starts attacking me, but other then that, I'm going to sail right up to the dock if I can, and use the oar to complete the docking.
how about some advice on the better stops?
Bill

seolbetha1

I seriously sugest to anyone going to come down the east coast icw or even plan on coming in and out off shore into the east coast shore line to look at purchasing Skipper bobs anchorage book for the east coast, it is only $16.00 and he list all of the free docks and anchorages down the icw. I havent had to pay for water yet.
Yes the 25 catilina is a snug fit but it is livableI am currently looking at a 27 hurley cutter rig.... keep in mind I am a solo sailor.... so have ample space for someone else and their gear isnt an issue... my only compliant with the catalina 25 is head room considering I am 5'11" and the head rooom is only 5'6" lol yeah!
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask let me know where you are starting from and I would be more than glad to suggest a few places you should stop at.
Cptn Jack
S/V Seol Betha

xroyal

Thanks. The Cat25 that seemed too small was a '78 model, and have since seen a '79 with a better layout. My neighbor just had a Cat30 trucked in from LA, and it is Big by comparison!
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

s/v Faith

Welcome Aboard Jack!

Great to have you with us, sounds like a small boater out there doing it. 

I have made about half that trip, and I will second the vote for Skipper Bob's ICW guides.  It is also useful to check his 'update' page for the most recent information on things.

I met him one time when he was out verifying information in his guides, he is a super nice guy.

I look forward to reading more of your posts, and hearing of your travels.  Check out the gallery, it is a great place to put some of your on line pictures, then you can just link to them to share them with friends when you email.

Welcome Aboard!

...... or

...... wait for it......

Hi Jack!   ::) :o :P ;D :P :D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

GROAN... hey, no one warned me that this board was populated with punsters...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

Well, some folks here can be called...

a...

Jack of all trades  ;D ;D ;D ;D

did you see it coming?   ;D

but

others...

don't know Jack... ;D

it's been a long day. I'm ready to sail.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

seolbetha1

;D Thanks for the warm welcomes from all of you I intended to bring a  disk of photos that I took of the keys while up the mast on a sail boat that I have been first mating on off and on I will try to have them here on the photo gallery within the week . 
Cptn Jack
S/V Seol Betha