Thanks Kurt for an 8yr old Christmas Gift!!!

Started by Frank, December 07, 2013, 01:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I'm sitting here, a "few wines too many" reflecting on the past decade and a bit sentimental. About 8yrs ago Capt K gave us all a "gift". "Behind the scenes" discussion on the Pearson Ariel site had Kurt dreaming of his own site for smaller KISS boats and the community that sail them.  There seemed to be a void that needed filled. A place where minimalists could share ideas, express their views (not political), talk of destinations and share lessons learned. Not surprisingly a lot of the early members were Ariel sailors....Kurt, Craig (faith), Tim, Zen, Commander Pete, Starcrest (RIP) myself (an ariel sailor at the time) Capt Smollett and others. 8 years have passed. We now have a membership of 659 like minded souls. If you take the time to search back over the years there is a ton of technical info as well as a wealth of shared philosophy.   8yrs....holy smokes time goes by!! Many of us have travelled....some still dream of it. Regardless...I feel this is a site for the minimalist to "keep the dream alive". Keep sharing.......keep dreaming....keep hoping....keep doing. Thanks Capt K for the many hours put into making this happen!!!  I am sure I speak for all in saying we appreciate it!!!!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Here, here. A most hearty second Frank.

And one day, maybe you and I will manage to be in the Bahamas at the SAME time  ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

I too toast your post frank....

... Of course I am doing it with coconut rum n the porch at Spanish Cay marina in the Bahamas!

;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

And I raise my glass from my sunny California Deck  ::)

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

rorik

In all seriousness, thank you for all that this site has given me in the three years or so that I've been coming here.
And now, all seriousness aside, I too would raise my glass to you, if it weren't frozen to the deck....  ;D
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Frank

Quote from: s/v Faith on December 08, 2013, 01:32:46 PM
I too toast your post frank....

... Of course I am doing it with coconut rum n the porch at Spanish Cay marina in the Bahamas!

;)

ya just HAD to throw that in there didn't ya   ;) :o :(

Say "hello" to the islands. If "Sheena" (Blue ferro cement trawler) is at Allens-P....say Merry Christmas for me.

Frank

Just looking back....

It was four years ago I posted about Kurt's now 12yr old Christmas present...

Thanks Captain K !!

""Thanks Kurt for an 8yr old Christmas Gift!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:05:43 AM »
QuoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic
  I'm sitting here, a "few wines too many" reflecting on the past decade and a bit sentimental. About 8yrs ago Capt K gave us all a "gift". "Behind the scenes" discussion on the Pearson Ariel site had Kurt dreaming of his own site for smaller KISS boats and the community that sail them.  There seemed to be a void that needed filled. A place where minimalists could share ideas, express their views (not political), talk of destinations and share lessons learned. Not surprisingly a lot of the early members were Ariel sailors....Kurt, Craig (faith), Tim, Zen, Commander Pete, Starcrest (RIP) myself (an ariel sailor at the time) Capt Smollett and others. 8 years have passed. We now have a membership of 659 like minded souls. If you take the time to search back over the years there is a ton of technical info as well as a wealth of shared philosophy.   8yrs....holy smokes time goes by!! Many of us have travelled....some still dream of it. Regardless...I feel this is a site for the minimalist to "keep the dream alive". Keep sharing.......keep dreaming....keep hoping....keep doing. Thanks Capt K for the many hours put into making this happen!!!  I am sure I speak for all in saying we appreciate it!!!!! ""

CharlieJ

Here's to you Kurt.  His 100 yr old rum he got for a birthday present- NOT from me  :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Thanks, ***Y'ALL***. We're all welcome. ;D Man, time flies. :) I thought about this last month, and never got around to posting on it. Been busy as all get out, got whacked with a huge and unexpected "due before years end" bill right in the middle of the holidays, been getting boat work done, and work work too when I can get it, and trying to figure out how to get away this coming year for the worst of it if not longer, because *I hate cold winter* where I don't have the option of leaving, at least... :)

Well, I could ramble of course, so let me say just this: Thank YOU, my friends. I only put the building up, y'all are what makes it a club, and a home. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)