C.B.I.... Forget CPI, lets talk about Corned Beef Index.

Started by s/v Faith, March 12, 2014, 10:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Some time ago, Lynx posted a question about the price of 1# propane bottles in various places.  I have been watching ever since.  I found $11.20 in the hardware store here in Treasure Cay, and $8.40 in Marsh Harbour... Just in the last week.

Now I don't go though that much propane in 1# bottles.  It is commonly available, but often not stocked in small groceries on remote islands.  It is one off the 4 cooking fuels I can use aboard Faith, but a couple bottles last a long time.

Then there is Canned Corned Beef.  I would likely be apprehended by the dietary police if I posted how much of this stuff I go through....  I am not proud of it, but apparently I am not alone.  Petty much any place you go in the Bahamas, and Carib if you enter a store of any kind and they have one food item on th shelf it will be corned beef.

Governments use the CPI or Consumer Price Index to calculate cost of living... The formula has been monkeyed with in recent years to remove food and energy costs... But it is way too complicated anyway.

For cruisers, a common question is "what does it cost to cruise in...." And frankly I think corned beef is a fairly good metric.

I have noticed, that the typical supply dynamic does not always apply to corned beef.  I have a can of "Zawan" brand corned beef that was purchased in Raleigh NC at a cost of $5.50!

Some examples;

Zawan corned beef, Raleigh NC  = $5.50
Hormel corned Beef, Spanish Wells Eleuthera = $2.74
Armor corned beef, Walmart in FL = $ 1.69

Some brand, Spanish Cay resort, Spanish Cay, = $6.99!

I have noticed pretty much anywhere that has "resort" in the name will increase the price quite a bit.

I will add to this thread, and woud like to hear what you see too!

What is your CBI?

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Quote from: s/v Faith on March 12, 2014, 10:11:56 AM

Then there is Canned Corned Beef.  I would likely be apprehended by the dietary police if I posted how much of this stuff I go through....  I am not proud of it, but apparently I am not alone.  Petty much any place you go in the Bahamas, and Carib if you enter a store of any kind and they have one food item on th shelf it will be corned beef.

And here in Port Lavaca, it's almost impossible to find. I can easily find corned beef hash, but not the just plain corned beef. Puzzles me.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 12, 2014, 10:39:58 AM
Quote from: s/v Faith on March 12, 2014, 10:11:56 AM

And here in Port Lavaca, it's almost impossible to find. I can easily find corned beef hash, but not the just plain corned beef. Puzzles me.

It is funny, I did a quick google of corned beef prices and found some comments that people had a hard time finding it.  Corned beef hash is less common in the islands (as you know) likely since a can of corned beef, and onion, and a head of cabbage make such a nice dinner... Not sure i would want to try that with corned beef hash. :)

Easy choice for me since I no longer eat potatoes....

s/v Faith

Fresh from the grocery at treasure Cay.

Libby's 2.64, heartford, $5.59.. And then "Grace" (typical no-name Bahamian brand seen everywhere) $2.59

CharlieJ

Kewl- wish I could find it here regularly.

Now, how much was the bottle of Kalik? ? ? ? ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Kettlewell

I'm more of an omnivore. I'll eat whatever is reasonable in a particular area. I can remember "back in the day" how pleased we were to find that New Zealand lamb chops were everywhere in the Bahamas, and much cheaper than in the US. Never eat much lamb at home, but we ate a ton while in the Bahamas. Do you still see cheap lamb there? While down in the BVIs most fresh meat was expensive, but we found if you asked around amongst the locals you could get fresh goat meat that was really good and reasonably priced. At first they thought we were confused when we asked for it as we obviously weren't local, but my wife quickly befriends most people anywhere and she soon had the local butcher bringing out his best cuts of goat from the back room.

s/v Faith

Yes!  I grilled lamb a coupe weeks ago.  Lamb was cheaper then cheap hamburger....  Maybe I will go ashore today before I get underway and pick up some more!

Likewise, there is a sliced bologna available here that I like.  You can get thick slices to fry for breakfast... I was buying some in marsh Harbour and noticed I was paying less for the lobster then the bologna by pound....   Things are tough all over.  ;D

What do you pay for canned corned beef where you are?

Kettlewell

I'll have to check next time I'm in the store for upstate NY pricing, but I will soon have a big bowl of corned beef and cabbage soup my wife simmered for a day using a fresh corned beef brisket. She won't touch the canned stuff so I'm not up on pricing. Another thing we found in the Bahamas that used to be good was canned bacon.

s/v Faith

Settlement Harbour, Great Guanna Cay....  $3.30

Of course, it is a small (but well stocked) grocery so things tend to run a bit more.

This place is CROWDED right now, the "Barefoot Man" is having his annual concert at Nippers Friday and Saturday.  I understand they are expecting as many as 5000 people!

Frank

Ya gotta put this into perspective.....

New Plymouth has about 350 people
Guana...your guess.....

SO....to get 5000 people out in the lightly populated Abacos is akin to
Elvis suddenly playing again in Memphis!!!!    ;D :o :o

He is a legend here. Have fun Craig!!

PS......too bad ya didn't make it back for dinner

PSS....your coleslaw was EXELLENT!!!!!!     ;) ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

w00dy

I have two large cans of corned beef in the bilge that came with the boat. Until someone shows me how to cook them in a way that's remotely palatable, they will remain extra ballast. Recipes?

CharlieJ

Quote from: w00dy on March 22, 2014, 08:58:39 PM
I have two large cans of corned beef in the bilge that came with the boat. Until someone shows me how to cook them in a way that's remotely palatable, they will remain extra ballast. Recipes?

See ya tomorrow W00dy. I have some gumbo for you to try anyway :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: w00dy on March 22, 2014, 08:58:39 PM

Just about anything that you would use SPAM in you can upgrade to a more deluxe version ["SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, BAKED BEANS, AND SPAM"]  :D

w00dy

I am here to report that I managed to make a somewhat decent dish out of a dehydrated soup packet + corned beef. Hunger brings out the creativity in me, I guess.

CapnK

Throw in some dehydrated instant mash 'taters, and you've a Sunday meal there.. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)