Cyric30's Search for a Boat

Started by Cyric30, March 12, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyric30

Haya Grime
Nice to Hear from you :)
Sure Send me any info you have, on it. i like the boats from what ive seen.

Grime

Sent you a PM with what info I have and his email.  Maybe this one could work out for you. 

Have a good evening
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Cyric30

WHewww.
just went and looked at a boat today, 800 mile round trip, poop im tired, more info tomorrow, after some much needed sleep.

Cyric30

Hello Again All.
Made it back, a little rested but not really recovered.
Me and a Very Good Buddy headed out Friday morning at 5:00 AM, to look at the 1963 Pearson Triton "Cervantes" and meet up with the Surveyor, who came up to inspect the boat. The trip down was relatively uninteresting, except for Ms. Garmin deciding to make a few "interesting" course choices for us.
Got to the boat about 12:00 about the same time as the Surveyor, so we went out and hunted down the boat.  First impression, Yep that's a Triton For Sure how could you not pick it out., Second impression Was, Owner really Likes Don Quixote and man an 8" Dink (dinks name is Sancho :D) sure takes alot of room up on the fordeck.

So we get out  start looking it over, Surveyor get out his mallet and starts tapping hull as we search for a ladder, thankfully a short search,

I'll try to go through the ships major systems with an overview

Hull: Hull sounded out good, with no blisters, had a slightly elevated moisture reading on both sides above water line about where a interior girder ruining between where the cabin separates head and wet-locker area, but it was not overly high and went on, well see what report says. he recommends new through hulls, as a precaution due to unknown age, and I'm pretty sure new bottom paint as well.

Rubber: Rubber was decent no excessive play,  needed sanded and repainted and one small area (about the size of a dollar coin of outer glassing was showing some separation, but moisture meter didn't read anything and sounded good. attachments where all solid nor worn excessively. Tiller stick was not in best shape, not sure on it.

Deck. Deck was a poop shoot of good and bad. Hardware had been re-bedded recently, don't know how quality it was, unfortunately there was some delamination on deck by windows about 1'x1' area on starboard, and on the Foredeck was the real bad spot not real sure how big an area, but maybe 2'x3' area maybe larger i suspect from the Windless is culprit, but i don't know. Port side seemed Ok, Wood needed a good varnish, some may need replaced. Ports where good in that there where no signs of them leaking, which was the obvious best thing, but the Lexan was cloudy and the just look like they need a rebedding.

Cockpit: Overall, good. Locker hatches need a new seal, and locks, but hinges where still all solid. the Icebox lid is gone and a wood and lexan box was built in its place, More on that in the cabin section.

Mast, Boom & Rigging: Mast & Boom was good, Surveyor found no glaring problems that he pointed out to me, the mast step was a piece of laminated wood, and while not in bad shape, he said he would prefer new wood for that, (and i had noticed it as well before he mentioned it and i agreed). Rigging was average, but need of a good tuning (mast had been stepped, but i don't think it had been tuned at all, and some cotter pins needed to be put in the turnbuckle ends, chain plates and pins did not show excessive wear or stress. Roller furling is either new or freshly rebuilt

Engine: the inboard Atomic 4 had been taken out at some point with a transom mounted electric start Yamaha 9.9 attached with a new mounting bracket, motor turned over, but no gas to attempt to start. so while i think the motors ok, who knows for sure.

Cabin: Down below was a mix of good and bad. The boat was not molded or musty smelling. there was some water in bilge, but not alot and (surveyor said) could be explained by simple condensation.  and no telltale's of water intrusion could be found, Surveyor didnt rule it out, but seemed to think there would be alot more water in the boat if there was any kind of leak, (the boat had been setting on the hard for over a year. the interior while not destroyed has been altered in a way i personally don't like but is fixable. Also the Icebox has been removed, which is ok with me as i most likely would have done it anyway, but remember me telling you about the icebox lid in the cockpit ya nothing.....straight into cabin.

Electrical: O My....where to start. Remember my buddy who went with me, Hes a Master Electrician by trade...he was able to get the juice flowing but the wiring looked like rat had built a nest of thrown-up red and green spaghetti. took him and Surveyor to figure it out as my Buddy didn't know boats had a round battery disconnect switch, which was hidden under rats nest. the only up side was once we figured it out, we managed to get all the stuff working, electronics are older, but a knot meter, wind meter, VHF, autopilot cabin and ruining lights all came on and seemed work, My Buddy assures me the electrics its not as bad as it looks, and if he said it, its true.

Sails: Excellent to Brand New, sails where awesome, and roller furling Jib/Geno never been untied to use. Main Clean and exellent shape, Storm jib. Same

That's the main Stuff,

Boat has 4 anchors, 2 danforth type 1 unknown, and a CQB type in bow roller with manual windlass

lotsa lines, tools, set of nice looking bigger Lewmar winches not installed, tons of extra stuff, that we didn't even go through.

Awaiting the Final Survey. We'll see if its worth it

Cant find a Price guide to even give me a ballpark on price.

Grime

You could expect to spend anywhere from $4000 to $10,000 for a Triton.  Would depend on the survey I would think and how much dealing you can do with the owner.  Check SailingTexas website to get an idea on prices.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Tim

I know out here in the west where there are a few Tritons around, your description would put it at the bottom end of that range. They are great boats and can be worth the work which it sounds like it may take.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Grime

I have to ask this question.  What do you want to do most Sail or work on the boat?   

I wanted to sail but ended up working and working on the boat. Now health issues forces me to put her up for sale. Never got to enjoy her. 

Take your time the right boat with the right price will come along.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Jim_ME

Joe, Congrats on going to look at the Triton. Even if you do not get this boat, each boat that you inspect and evaluate will build your experience.

What you have described about the deck is a common condition with these older boats. Deck cores can be repaired but it is a substantial project and if you take on such a project, it is important to buy it at a good price.

I understand that the "West Coast" Triton models (that Tim mentioned) have a solid fiberglass laminate deck with no core. I saw one for sale at a very reasonable price a few years back.

Some can take on project boat that needs extensive work and successfully complete repairs and eventually sail, so these activities are not always mutually exclusive. Charlie has done it, Woody and RaLay, and others. But it is definitely not for everyone, and boatyards, backyards, and marinas have many derelicts the give testimony of underestimated projects and overestimated skills..and endurance. It is an exceptional owner(s) that can realistically evaluate their own abilities and willingness to do the hard and long-term work that such a boat requires. Although I have more experience with age, I seem to have less energy and drive, and miss having a partner to share the process and sailing--so it can vary with time and situation even with the same person.

I saw the ad below a couple weeks ago, for a free Triton in Baltimore, and thought seriously about pursuing it. It was in the water and tempting to make a go of sailing it back, even expecting to find that it needed deck core work. Yet the worst time of year to attempt such a cruise, even in a boat of such a seaworthy design, but unknown condition. I considered what would be involved to get down there and prepare for the trip. One bonus would be to meet Adam...who is in the area. It would have been a stretch in many respects...time, cost, effort, commitment... I found it daunting and decided to consider it for a day or two...knowing that it would likely soon be taken by someone else closer by, or with deeper pockets, or other advantages. Emotionally, though, the photo in the ad sure tugged hard on my sailing heart.

Told myself that if I decide that it is definitely too much for me, I will post it on Sellfar, and tell you, Joe. Although I found it difficult to commit as I would have had to, I found it equally difficult to rule it out with finality...

In a day or two the ad was gone.

Jim_ME

Guess that I'll post this here and not in SellFar, since it is an update of the previous post (and you are looking at Tritons in particular, Joe)...

Just saw this same 1964 Triton in Baltimore for sale on eBay.
Auction ends Sunday 9 am. Current bid: US $520.00

"#677 has the original Atomic 4 engine (not running) - also outboard motor bracket as backup. Needs sails and a good cleaning. Good furler on forestay. "Winchers" on main winches. V-berth cushions ok. Decks rough but feel solid."

Cyric30

Thanks for the Comments Guys, Grime, Your are correct, i am willing to do some work on any boat i buy, but i don't want an over large project either.

Jim, The de-lamination problem is a big deal for sure , if it was a few small patches no biggy, but a good chunk the fordeck would need redone, couple that with the interior work as well and i don't think I'm up to the task.
Also, the boat just didn't do it for me, there was no spark to it i guess, I'm pretty practical bout things ,but there needs to something a bit more than practicality in this i think.

Also, I'm not just limiting my self to Triton's, Albin Vega's, are nice and the Tarten 27 is up there as well, i keep looking at boats all the time, found a boat called the Halman Horizon 27, that i absolutely Love the looks of, just not many of them around. i will keep looking and eventually find what I'm looking for this was a good learning experience for me i have a better idea of what to look for now for problems.

Jim_ME

Quote from: Cyric30 on February 10, 2015, 09:27:21 PM
Also, the boat just didn't do it for me, there was no spark to it i guess, I'm pretty practical bout things ,but there needs to something a bit more than practicality in this i think.

I definitely get a very appreciative feeling when looking at the photos of the Triton, but I believe that it comes from its cockpit being so similar to my Typhoon (also by Alberg), and how much fun I had on that boat, how well it performed and kept its crew comfortable and safe. I believe that it took much time and experience on the boat for that to grow.

In contrast, the twin keel boat that I tried this summer looked quite salty, but was profoundly disappointing in the way that it handled, performed, and especially its motion and comfort. I decided that it was far too large and that it did not have the motion comfort that I expected from its 27 foot/8500 lb size. In many respects, the Typhoon out shined it, even though only one quarter its displacement. So looks can be deceiving, and fleeting, but seaworthiness and good motion comfort grow more important over time, and emotional connection and appreciation will follow.

Cyric30

Hello All.
its been awhile since i posted, and since the forum also has been a bit quiet, i thought i would try to jump-start something.
First off i haven't gave up, im just working and saving money up right now, hopefully by the end of the year i'll have a chunk saved up and can get serious.

Also been looking at more boats that i previously dismissed or didn't know about
Really grown fond of the Bristol 29/30 of late, seems a good boat

A few more ive found and considering, but aren't on any good old boat list are

Pearson Wanderer: can anyone give me a reason why the Smaller Triton, and the larger Vanguard are considered good small offshore choices and the Wanderer is not? im truly curious.

Contest 31: European built boat that seems tough as nails and is heavy built, also has a good reputation across the pond,can be found in the states occasionally

Yankee 30: Cousin to the Tartan 30, i really like the mid-engine setup on these boats,

Feel free to drop in talk, pros, cons, just say high, we've let the forum get a bit boring :)

Cyric30

Hello All

Just Back From Vacation
Me and a Buddy went down to Tampa for some R&R and to look at some boats as well.
      Looked over several Catalina's and Hunters, i was not impressed by them really while roomy they just felt meah (which i guess they are) but they just didn't do it for me.
      Looked at 2 tartan 27s 1 was a Yawl and the other was a 27-2. the Yawl was a basket case and wet supposedly guy had everything to redo it but couldn't look at it cause he was away, even with it on a trailer it was to much money and to much work IMHO.
The 27-2 was nicer. at least it felt like it had some room. and wouldn't have needed much work, kept it in mind as a definite possibility.
      Also looked at a Nordica 20, which is darn cute little boat, and darn if it if it had been a bit bigger it might have came home with me, just not enough room for 2 ppl.
      Looked at a Irwin 10/4 very roomy boat for the size, 10' beam on a 24' boat also had a bowsprit so its total length would be like  26' or so, boat needed a few things, but overall i think i liked the boat enough to at least add it to my possibles list just wondered how it would sail being that wide and tubby, but really not a bad little boat. build quality seemed better than hunters or Catalina's although ive read Irwins whern't to well built either.
      And being as we where time limited we couldn't see everything unfortunately, but we did make the trip to look a a Westerly Centaur, and ive got to say this boat out of all them impressed me the most, while the design isnt much in the looks department, and this boats pretty plain to look at as well, what did impress me was this boat was dry, and i mean bone dry inside there was not a drop of water anywhere and while the boat needs some cleaning and some work inside it impressed me the most of everything ive looked at, this was an "A" layout which isnt as common and it makes one of the V births a bit of fun to get into, is a side galley, but so is the common B layout. gentleman who owned it redone the exterior 2 years ago and only launched it last year. unfortunately the inboards gone but it had a 15HP outboard off the back, but he said he kept the stuff to put an inboard back if someone wanted. inside need some work its a bit unkempt, but not filthy at least, didn't smell bad like some the others. took a few picks will post them for input.

P.S. i dont know why some thes pics is sideways there not that way on my PC.?

Cyric30

Cyric30

Cyric30

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cyric30

CapnK

Seems to me that is the boat for you. Jump on it, afore someone else does...  8)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)