News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Ariel Head/Forward Cabin Layout Redo

Started by Jim_ME, March 30, 2014, 10:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

Just found this video of a family sailing on a Westerly Cirrus 22 in Antrim Bay on Lough Neagh...to the music of what sounds like the panflute or pipes...New Age...Old World...small boat...kinda relaxing...small boat...(they don't seem to realize how underprivileged they are.) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axXx4PadkDY

(the dinette makes an appearance)  :)

CapnK

Drain tubes cut, thru-hulls plugged, and yet - Katie floats...  ;D

Only took on a few (under 5) gallons between plugging all 3 holes. The 'system' morphed a bit once I saw how it was working out, but all in all it was actually an easy-peasy job. Next time I will wear gloves, though - typing this with Gorilla Epoxy coated fingers.  ::)

Standing by and monitoring the plugs for leakage with a Sweetwater Extra Pale Ale 420.  8)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Jim_ME

Quote from: CapnK on April 05, 2014, 05:55:08 PM
Drain tubes cut, thru-hulls plugged, and yet - Katie floats...  ;D

Grog!

Quote from: CapnK on April 05, 2014, 05:55:08 PM
Gorilla Epoxy coated fingers. Standing by and monitoring the plugs for leakage with a Sweetwater Extra Pale Ale 420.  8)

Careful. Up here that ale bottle is worth 5 cents.  :D

CharlieJ

When I got her, Tehani had 4 of those "pipes" glassed into the hull, with no way to close them off.

Two deck drains, a ice chest drain, and I never figured out what the other one was. This was in addition to  three seacocks.

She now has NO openings below the water line- none, nada,, zilch, zero.

The deck drains were moved up to above the water line and fitted with bronze gate valves. The sink lifts out and dumps.

The bilge pump has an easy life :D

I was  gonna mention- if the water hadn't been cold, a toilet plunger sans handle, works well from outside. Blocks water and water pressure holds it in place.

Just a thought for the future :D

Glad you "got 'er done" :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: Travelnik on April 05, 2014, 02:26:41 PM
The Westerly 22, and the Nomad don't have side decks, and it makes the interior volume feel huge!

I almost mentioned the Nomad 22 as an example of a Westerly large cabin trunk (raised deck). Those Nomads are cool, and as you say, huge for a 22-foot 3200-lb sailboat.

You're right, Travelnik, it's the Westerly 22 that is similar to the Nomad 22 (designed by Denys Rayner). The photo sailboatdata used for the Westerly Cirrus 22 (John Butler design) appears to be a Westerly 21 (newer version of the Warwick 21, Laurent Giles design with his distinctive "knuckle bow") See photo of another W21 from the Westerly Association.

Jim_ME

Just saw this Ariel (for sale on eBay) with a photo of the cabin showing a full galley/counter added to starboard side. Can't quite see if they just left the settee at port side, or may have converted to a dinette (as you would often see opposite such a galley in other layouts such as the Bristol 24/26 or Alberg B27 dinette layout)?

CapnK

Doesn't look like a dinette there to me...

There was an Ariel, back when I first started with Ariels, that was traveling the West Coast which had a layout like that. I'll go poke around and see if I can find that thread on the owners site. I seem to remember reading that that boat was lost, though...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Jim_ME

Quote from: CapnK on April 14, 2014, 06:58:18 PM
Doesn't look like a dinette there to me...
It was just the way the cushion was setup as a backrest facing the way it is that made me think of that--but you're right, even if the footwell is outside the frame, you would expect to see part of a table, if it was a dinette.

CapnK

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

I have been tempted (and once again seeing this) to make up companionway doors like that.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

What the heck, I have almost all the other projects done on her, might as well come up with something else ;) it was inevitable.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

Oooh...S/V Brave Heart does have a similar galley...and a two-person dinette. Cool!  :) As you suspected, Kurt, for the dinette to fit well, it had to extend to the main bulkhead (so the original cabinet aft of the bulkhead had to be removed).

Great to read that Brave Heart reappeared 4 years after it was thought that she was lost.

Those companionway doors look to be well designed and built.  :)   

CharlieJ

Nice in port, or at anchor. Don't want them at sea. And then where  do you stow them?? I'll stay with the drop boards.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

I am going to play around with it. Storage would not be a problem, but you would want to go back to the drop boards for more security, so there would have to be a way of making them interchangeable.

W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

While on the subject of Ariel cabin mods, I just found the link to Frank's thread on the Ariel Association website on the work that he did to his Ariel Revival and his voyage, that Kurt put on the SailFar'ers Trip Reports and Tales page. I had somehow missed this, and from first glance, there seems to be a lot of good ideas and the voyage there. Looking forward to reading the entire thread, and catching up.  :)