What are your sailing/cruising/boat plans for this 2014 year/season?

Started by Jim_ME, April 06, 2014, 05:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

Quote from: w00dy on April 18, 2014, 09:48:47 AM
Thanks, Jim. I would LOVE to make it up to Maine and have talked about it this year. Since you live in Maine, I guess you could give me some idea of how long the cruising season lasts up there. Is September too late to find yourself sailing in Bar Harbor?
I've always enjoyed September here. The summer vacation is over, and things settle down a bit. A bit cooler, so often have to wear a sweater, and maybe a shell out sailing. Usually there's a good breeze. I'd often sail until mid to late October. It's harvest season, and I especially enjoy the fresh crisp apples. Many of the towns have fairs. I think that you'd both enjoy the Common Ground Fair by The Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA), the oldest and largest state organic organization in the country.

w00dy

I'm sold. Let's not call it a plan though, because if I start planning it then something completely different is bound to occur. StillI , would be really happy to find myself up there this year

Jim_ME

Okay, Jim, We'll see how things develop. If you don't have time to sail up here this season, maybe an option is to leave your boat at the yard in Maryland, and take a bus up? There are many great state parks with campgrounds, and the National Park at Acadia.

w00dy

Most excellent idea. I've spent the sum total of 28 days in Maine, when I hiked the AT down from Baxter south to the NH border. Haven't been back since, but I'm looking forward to seeing the coast this next time.

Jim_ME

Oh ya, you gotta see the coast of Maine...it's the best part!  :)
http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

Katahdin/Baxter State Park and Moosehead Lake (as Frank will attest) are nice, too. How much of the AT did you hike?

Mario G

As of now we are in south Carolina heading north can't wait to hit Georgetown to see Katie's mast up, then its on to Annapolis or maybe NY.