A Funny Thing Just Happened . . .

Started by Travelnik, April 13, 2014, 09:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travelnik

No one in my family has ever been interested in sailing, or boats in general. I'm the only one that has ever had the bug. The rest are all content to live in Arizona, Utah and Nevada. Even my kids really weren't interested in my sailboat obsession.

Anyway, few hours ago, my 25 yo son came by for a visit. After the usual catching up on things for a bit, he says, "I've been thinking about getting a small sailboat that I could use on the lakes, and maybe live on for a few days or weeks even. Could I take a look at your boat just to see what the living space would be like?"

Well, I couldn't say no, so I took him aboard. (He has been on the boat before, but that was several years ago, before it was stolen.) He looked around, his eyes lit up, and he said, "Wow! This is perfect, in fact, it is bigger than I would need! It has so much room, and look at all the storage areas!"
We're both about 6', so he liked the headroom, and I told him about some of the improvements that I was going to make to the head area. Then I showed him the galley, the Sea-Swing stove, sink and ice box, had he thought it was a lot better than an RV.

We talked a little about the ICW trips that my wife and I are planning, and the benefits of being able to trailer the boat to either coast if we wanted to change out cruising grounds.

I could tell by the far away look in his eyes that he was seriously thinking about the places he could go for very little money, and having his little home right with him wherever he went.
You don't need big money, or a big boat to have big dreams!

;D
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Captain Smollett

Wonderful!

It just goes to show that sometimes it's the "slow burn" that works better than beating over the head.

Did ya tell him to register here and point him to some of those incredible small boat deals that have been posted recently?

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Travelnik

We talked a bit about the forum, and some of the recent deals on small boats.

He isn't ready to buy right now, mainly because he doesn't have anywhere to store a boat, but we all know how a strong enough desire can overcome that situation anytime!

He wants to look around at different types of boats. His main criteria right now would be: it must have a cabin, an outboard, and be trailerable with a mini van.
Or, it could be in an affordable slip at a local lake marina so that he wouldn't have to trailer it.

A Catalina 22 might be a good starter boat for him. Probably not for long term, but it might fit the immediate bill.

This is not a great area for sailboats though. There was a Catalina 22 on CL for a few years for $1400, but it's gone now. There is a 72 Balboa 26 that has been advertised here for at least 5 years at $4950, but I wouldn't really pay half of that for it right now: http://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/4381966213.html
and a Mac 26: http://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/4401945821.html

But I think both of them might be too big for his van. Plus, the prices are a bit high.
There are some better deals in the Dallas area, and I'd be willing to help him get it here whenever he decides to do it. Time will tell.  ;)
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Jim_ME

Quote from: Travelnik on April 13, 2014, 09:55:18 PM
After the usual catching up on things for a bit, he says, "I've been thinking about getting a small sailboat that I could use on the lakes, and maybe live on for a few days or weeks even.

That is good news! I can think of few things that can bring family members closer than a shared interest in sailing. My Dad and I have spent many a enjoyable hour out sailing. The cockpit is always a great place to talk about things.

My suggestion for a very small cruiser would be the old Cape Dory Typhoon 19. At 2000 lbs and 2.5 foot draft it is very trailerable. You can even make a cockpit tent like Tim has to expand the accommodations. They are (typical of Alberg) quite tough and seaworthy. If you keep an eye out, you should be able to find a deal. There was one for free in Mass last year, I think it was. There is quite a nice one in MI now for $2k, and I've seen project boats for $800.

The Hurley 18 (2400 lbs), Hurley Alacrity 19 twin keel (1500 lb), are also nice trailerable micro-cruisers, that I sometimes see as good deals out there.