News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Movie: Maidentrip (2014)

Started by Captain Smollett, May 05, 2014, 11:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Maidentrip documents Laura Dekker's solo trip around the world, beginning in Gibraltar and ending in St. Maarten (which she had visited on the outbound leg, so she did indeed close the loop).

The film mostly uses video shot by Dekker herself, with interesting flashback footage of her early childhood and time growing up into an independent sailor.  At age 13, for example, she sailed solo from Holland to England.

The film briefly touches on the problems she had with the Dutch government before leaving; interestingly, these bureaucratic issues began when she sought to arrange her distance schooling and a school official balked at the idea, reporting the case to Child Protective Services who then sought to secure "custody" from her father.  A one year court case culminated in the court ruling in her favor, of course, with the court essentially saying, "this ruling returns responsibility to its rightful place....Laura's parents."

I think the film does an excellent job of showing Laura's growth...how she changed from the beginning to the end, and how sailing itself played such an important role in her life and indeed, her very personality.  I like Pat Henry's story of her circumnavigation, but she did NOT present it very well in By the Grace of the Sea.  This movie is what Henry's tale could have been.

No matter what you may have thought about Laura's decision to embark on this trip and / or the ensuing court struggle at the time all that happened, this film is worth watching.

It can be viewed now on Amazon Instant for a few dollar rental:

http://www.amazon.com/Maidentrip-Laura-Dekker/dp/B00J2PDZ10
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

SeaHusky

Just watched it. Really worth watching!
I love how she got back at the dutch government for the court case.
They not only lost the case but also lost a great citizen and all the goodwill it could have brought. 
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

rorik

Watched it last night.
She seemed to be about 10 or 15 years older than simple chronology would indicate...
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Norman

My wife and I enjoyed the show too  She also commented how much Laura matured in the two years of the voyage.  At 14 to 16, most children change a lot.  She has definately taken charge of her life, and is doing what she wants to.  Her boat is in New Zealand now.

We both also remarked how fortunate she was that she did not experience any major storms.

15 minutes of her movie was better than all of All I Lost.

As an update, she and her boyfriend are presently (mid July) in California sightseeing, a trip that started in NY city, in a Subaru she bought.  She is now about 18.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Norman on July 28, 2014, 01:22:32 PM

We both also remarked how fortunate she was that she did not experience any major storms.

I thought she DID encounter some bad weather?  Wasn't there one scene in particular where she was talking about the mess in the cabin...food she was cooking got all over, etc, because of getting slammed about?

I could be conflating this movie with a different one, of course.

Another note: with solid planning via modern wx tools and shortwave aboard, etc, I don't think it is uncommon for a sailor to make crossings without encountering 'major storms.'  It does still happen, but odds wise, not really all that often.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Norman

Big wave cought her unexpectedly, ravioli everywhere, glad she was not cooking soup, was her description.

There were scenes  when she wa flying only jib and mizzen and going quite well, but the waves were moderate.

The time of year and latitude you are sailing are key to sailing conditions, plus, as you point out, radio updates and advice.  Doubtless, her father had a lot of input on route and timing.

Since she was not attempting a record time or non stop, choices were much more conservative, I am sure.

Tim

Thanks for the recommendation guys, we just finished watching it and I thought it was excellent. Especially since most all the footage used was "amateur".

Clearly  an able body seaman (and spoke like one also) Laura also show a deeper human side that though mature for age also maintained aspects of the teenager she was.

The fact that the rigors of such a journey were downplayed and the joy one receives from being "out there" was the message, made it even better.
My hat is off to both Laura and the filmmaker.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

jotruk

very interesting movie. I just got to watch it and it did make you think about the way things actually are at sea.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Leemolou

Got the movie yesterday, liked it.
One thing is for sure, at her age I did not have it in me to take on ANY of what she did...  Beyond her age at the time, which makes the endevour extraordinary, the images are great.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal...
It's the courage to continue that counts!
Winston Churchill

solodare

I never in my life had any interest in sailing before I watched this movie. I was/am currently planning to walk the Appalachian trail in 2018. I had just watched this movie after not being able to find any more trail movies on netlix, this one came up and after watching it, I couldn't get my mind of of sailing! a week later on a forum for the Appalachian Trail I ran into S/V Faith, And now here I am! I plan to use my Venture 22 to learn to sail between now and my hike in 2018, when i finish the hike i want to get a sea worth boat and set sail!! Funny how things fall into place. This movie opened my eyes to sailing!!!! Hope I get to thank her in person one day out on the open water.
The More I Learn The Less I Know.