Salmon with Spinach and Lemon Sauce (p-cooker recipe)

Started by Captain Smollett, May 23, 2014, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

This one came up on the chat last night, and I am thinking about trying it with Mahi next time I have some.  I'm also wondering what other fish it would work with...tuna, perhaps.

It comes from the book "Tastefully Under Pressure" that came with our Fagor Set. 

I've done this one several times.  It's easy, and we even took the pressure cooker to a friend's house to do it for a dinner party once while we were living aboard and wanted to cook for them.

Serves 6 as written.

Full ingredients list:

1 cup water
1-1/2 tsp salt
2 10 oz packages of fresh spinach; halve the leafs (not REALLY necessary)
2 tbls olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and halved
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1 cup clam juice (could substitute others)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp white pepper
1-1/2 tsp dried crumbled dill
6 6-8 oz salmon steaks (at least 1" thick)
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp cornstarch

Directions (high pressure = 15 psi):

1. Put water in p-cooker.  Sir in 1 tsp of the salt. Place spinach leaves in center of cooker, away from edges.

2. Secure lid, bring to high pressure, cook at pressure for 3 minutes.

3. Use a quick release method to release pressure and remove lid.

4. Stir spinach and drain in collander; place on warm plate, covered. Keep warm in low temp oven if available.

5. Wipe moisture from pressure cooker.

6. Heat oil in cooker, add onion, garlic and parsley.  Sautee about 2 minutes.

7. Stir in clam juice, lemon juice and remaining 1/2 tsp salt, pepper and dill.  Place salmon steaks in cooking liquid and secure lid.

8. Bring to high pressure and cook at pressure for 3 minutes.

9. Use a quick release method to release pressure and remove lid.

10. Use a slotted utensil to remove salmon and cover to retain heat. Pour off all but 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid.

11. Stir in egg yolks.  Dissolve cornstarch in a tablespoon of water and stir into mixture until it begins to thicken.

12. Remove from heat.

13. To serve: arrange spinach on plates, put salmon over bed of spinach and top with sauce.  Garnish with sprigs of parsley or lemon slices.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain