One Prolonged Blast of the Whistle

Started by w00dy, May 25, 2014, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

After a year and a half of solid boat working, we are untying the lines and heading out. The plan is to spend the summer on a shakedown cruise up north, while continuing to improve the boat and prepare her for long distance cruising. This week, we'll be working on last minute details and getting everything stowed. Should be under way next weekend.

Our goal is to start make our way coast-wise from TX to MD, with plenty of stops along the way. We'll be starting slow, staying inshore until we have the boat in order and get warmed up. By the time we round FL, we'll hopefully be ready to make use of the Gulf Stream and make good time northward. Hurricanes will be dodged, friends will be visited, and many beers will be quaffed. Anybody with a cruising station that wants a visit, let us know! See you on the water  :D

jotruk

May you have fair winds and following seas as you progress along your route
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Bill NH

125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

Godot

If you make it to Baltimore, or even near Annapolis (or further, if timing works), let me know. It would be good to see you.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Jim_ME

Congrats on all the work that you both have done on S/VMona.
Look forward to reports of your adventures as you make your way.
Hope that you will even make it up to Maine, by land or sea.
Good luck and fair winds!

CharlieJ

Quote from: Jim_ME on May 30, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
Congrats on all the work that you both have done on S/VMona.
Look forward to reports of your adventures as you make your way.
Hope that you will even make it up to Maine, by land or sea.
Good luck and fair winds!

They are way too busy to post i would think. Both hard at wrapping up last minute jobs.

Solar panel got mounted yesterday, couple of new hand rails made in my shop two days ago.

Just a bit over an hour ago, Rachel was bemoaning having to crawl down into the engine compartment later. It got HOT here today.

I THINK they are shooting for Sunday or Monday as a departure.  I'm gonna hate to see them leave. Nice folks.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 30, 2014, 04:13:59 PM
They are way too busy to post i would think. Both hard at wrapping up last minute jobs.
...I'm gonna hate to see them leave. Nice folks.

I did expect that they would be busy getting ready to go. I also thought about how you all have helped one another out and would miss each other. When I lived Down East, in a more rural part of the state, I had such friends, but for some reason in this more populated and affluent part of the state, I cannot seem to find or create that kind of community. [In small towns it seems that people have to help each other out to get by, and form closer communities through this necessity. You can really make a difference there...]

CharlieJ

If you've been following the blog, she made her final entry .She's closing it down, but will follow a few friends via email.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 31, 2014, 08:41:17 AM
If you've been following the blog, she made her final entry .She's closing it down, but will follow a few friends via email.
I have followed and enjoyed their blog very much, and was saddened to read the last post. I understand both that they have been spending so much time and effort to get the many boat repairs and upgrades done, and that they are concerned with their privacy...

As this last post states "...we've decided to stop making so many details of our lives available in an unlimited way to the whole internet."

I get that. I've sometimes considered doing a blog myself, but have each time (so far), felt that it would be uncomfortable to be so transparent and without boundaries to anyone who wished to read it. For myself, it has been deeply troubling to learn the extent to which we can no longer take our personal privacy for granted (but this is a broad subject for its own thread...).

Anyway, as the saying goes...all goods things must come to an end, so thank you and well done.