News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Texas 200, 2014 recap

Started by CharlieJ, June 15, 2014, 08:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Just posted a recap of the Texas 200 from aboard Traveler, my 18 foot open tri over on TSBB. Way to many pics  to re do here, but if you are interested, here's the link

http://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1383820

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from CharlieJ's recap from the TTS forum...

"I don't know as I want to do another where I have to lug stuff up and set up camp each night, then repack in the morning. Thinking a very small cabin sailboat would be great- could sleep aboard. Tehani has much too much draft"

Enjoyed your report. Nice photos. Glad that you found a good crew member to join you. She seems like a trooper.

Yep, as exciting as it must be to sail Traveler, seems like you might get more use out of a trailerable shallow-draft boat like Necessity for trips like this, and maybe other trailer-sailer adventures to distant places...like even here in New England.

My plan is to eventually fix up the 1500-pound/under 2-foot draft 3-berth Alacrity 19 for that kind of thing.

Anyway, congrats on your Texas 200 Cruise.  :) 

Captain Smollett

Awesome trip report, Charlie.  I was thinking about you while I was in Florida...and thinking about how much more sailing you were getting in.   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Even Necessity would have too much draft for this. In this sunset pic, Traveler is anchored in less than one foot. Necessity draws 2. So I would have been a LONG way out :D

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

lance on cloud nine

Thank you for that! Enjoyed it!
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

w00dy

Bummer about that NE wind. Funny thing is, most times we would love to sail that wind in Matagorda Bay. I like the idea of this trip, though some parts appeal to me more than others. Having the right boat would make it much more enjoyable too. Nothing against the PD racer guys, I am seriously in awe of them, but I like the idea of it as a small boat get together more than a marathon of long days sailing solo in the sun. Then again, I imagine that for many folks who don't get to go cruising often, it could be just what the doctor ordered. I read the poem on the website and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the write up CJ.