Back worst than seasickness!

Started by Frank, July 08, 2014, 01:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

I agree with you Capt. Smollett. I used to work in a cabinet shop and my boss would talk about lower back pain. I got him to start coming to a core workout with me and he claimed that his back pain went away. I don't think it was coincidence.

Frank

I just ordered a "yoga for beginners" CD. I'll it try at home where no one can laugh at me   ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Frank on July 26, 2014, 11:37:22 AM

I just ordered a "yoga for beginners" CD. I'll it try at home where no one can laugh at me   ;)

I understand that, but do want to mention...I doubt VERY seriously anyone at Yoga would EVER laugh at someone doing it.

First of all, most are (or darn well should be) too focused on what THEY are doing.

Secondly, it's really a "low worry" kind of thing....pretty laid back.

I don't know about doing it by DVD, but I will say this...our instructors would sometimes notice and correct "bad form" in various people (in a non-threatening way!) and you would not get that from a DVD.  Just a thought.

Good luck with it.  Hope it, and the other solutions are you pursuing work out.  Back problems are among the worst.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

I am going to a beginner's Yoga class tomorrow afternoon  ;)  I wasn't disciplined enough for the DVD  ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

I got a new-'in the box" chairgym from a guy on Kijiji for 1/2 price today. Gotta say...I'm impressed. It's not junk and you can actually do a bunch of muscle groups on it. It folds up to typical folding chair size. Between it, walking and yoga ....I'll be better than I was before I put my back out.  On a "loose weight...get in shape" mission. Down 12lbs so far...although if I eat any more chicken or salad I may start pecking or hopping   :o
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Leemolou

As mentioned before, this can happen to anybody anytime... It has happened to me too and I was in excellent physical condition at the time (that's years ago).  Prevention is always best but when what's done is done and you are hurting bad... modern pharmaceutical do wonders... Talk to your doctors if you are on any other medications, but I know that Robax in the correct dosage and 30 minutes to 1h lying on your back (after anchoring if necessary) would probably let you get back to port.  Be careful not to make the injury worst while on the med and you are not feeling the pain as much.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal...
It's the courage to continue that counts!
Winston Churchill

hopefulsailor

My suggestion in addition to the yoga, stretching, and bends is to look at Trigger Point Therapy. This book fixed many problems that I had.
http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759

If you don't know much about Trigger Point Therapy you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_point

It works. Once you learn your trigger points you will be able to self treat and your body will feel so much better. Hope this helps.