Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Mona Eastbound

Started by w00dy, July 10, 2014, 02:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Quote from: Captain Smollett on July 31, 2014, 12:27:52 PM

Also, keep in mind we've been known to make the sacrifice of driving all the way to Beaufort to meet sailfarers...:)

;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Awesome. Thanks for the kind offer. I'm sure we will stop in Beaufort, but maybe we can rendezvous at oriental or somewhere else. Let me know if there a spot that would work f or you that's not too far off the beaten path.

Heading out with the tide tomorrow. Will update as can.

Jim_ME

Quote from: w00dy on July 30, 2014, 01:11:20 PM
Naples to St. Mary's
What a great report!

Quote[from the report]"...before being forced off by a regulation regarding maximum length of stay...likely one of the many designed to keep trampy, dirt cheap boaters such as ourselves from getting too comfy in an otherwise upscale area.
I'm sure that you raised the level of practical cruising credibility to the area while you were there.  :)

Quote[from the report]"...At first light, we awoke to a herd of wild horses grazing on the thin beach grass. We hurriedly dinghied ashore before the ferry arrived with visitors from the mainland. The entire island is owned by the park service. Most of it was thickly wooded in monstrous, gnarled live oaks
dripping with Spanish moss.
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've driven past this area several times on I-95. Never had any idea that there could be wild horses out there.

Beautifully written. Next I'll catch up and read the previous report from Pensacola, FL to Naples, FL. Grog--and fair winds--to you both! :)

w00dy

Came in Charleston ship channel last night to anchor behind Sullivan island. Were both pretty bummed at having waited all week for fair winds only to have them change on us. Has fine sailing in se 10-15 on Friday. Sat morning we ran into thunderstorms so we motored in the rain all day. When the wind did come back, it was from the ne and the forecast has changed from south winds to ne and e. In light of the poor weather forecasted headwinds, and approaching tropical storm, were going to stay inside and run the ditch for a while. Instead of fair winds, wish us fair tides and water under the keel. ::)

Grime

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Captain Smollett

Quote from: w00dy on August 03, 2014, 09:38:11 AM

going to stay inside and run the ditch for a while.

That stretch is some of the most beautiful of the entire ICW.  I really like the Bull Island / Cape Romaine NWR area; really want to head that way during the migration.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

w00dy

Made it to Wrightsville Beach, NC yesterday afternoon. Have a fellow sailor friend we met here on our last trip who we were eager to see again. He's an experienced sailor, world traveler, and even used to work for Walter Cronkite as his boat captain. He offered to hold some mail for us, so we are taking the opportunity to stop, visit, rest, and get ready for the next leg.

Monday night, we were just about to leave Georgetown when Capt. K heard us on the radio and called back. Amazing timing!  We swung by for a visit and had a great time with him that night. He feted us with a tour of some amazing outdoor scenery and even introduced us to some important players in Georgetown, including Buster, escaper of sinkholes local boat lord. Grog to you Kurt, for being an amazing host and site admin!

Tues, I nursed a slight hangover as we motored our way up the Waccamaw to Bucksport and anchored overnight in an oxbow of the river. You were dead on Capt. S, some of the most beautiful waterways we've been on.

Wed, we kept going through the rockpile, past Myrtle beach, and arrived at the Little River inlet in the afternoon. On Kurt's advice, we decided to head offshore there and make for Cape Fear. We had a perfect S wind that saw us hurtling at 6-7 kts the whole way there, our windvane Flippy steering like a champ. Best sail of the trip so far. We pulled into the Cape Fear river after midnight and anchored a few miles upriver.

Thurs, we woke late and spinnaker sailed upriver past a line of skiff shrimpers to Snows cut, then motored the rest of the way to WB.

We should have fair winds for a passage offshore to Beaufort Sat. night and Sun. Will probably leave Sat. night, if wind and tide remain favorable.

After looking at the charts more closely, I think we will forgo the ICW north of Oriental, and sail inside the outer banks. The distance is longer, but the water is not as shallow as I previously thought, so sailing is definitely preferable to more motoring. Hoping for solid summer southerly winds.

Capt. Smollett, do you have any idea how deep the harbor at Oriental is? We draw ~5 and are concerned about shoaling in the entrance channel, surroundings etc. Also, this might make a better stopping point for us than Beaufort, because of the crowded anchorage there. Will have to see how it plays out, but we should be in the area early next week.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: w00dy on August 08, 2014, 01:24:56 PM

Grog to you Kurt, for being an amazing host ...

Tues, I nursed a slight hangover

I caught that slipped in there.   ;D

Capt. Smollett, do you have any idea how deep the harbor at Oriental is? We draw ~5 and are concerned about shoaling in the entrance channel, surroundings etc.

You should be fine.  I've not noticed nor heard of problems there.  I've seen biggish boats anchored there, too.

The channel is wide and well marked.  It's a busy little "harbor."

As you come out of Adam's Creek, watch that little shoal to stbd charted off "Winthrop Pt."  Though I will say I've sailed on the inshore side of Garbacon Shoal with a 4 ft draft and did not bump.  Being a bit conservative (generally) with my navigation, were it me, I'd come out of Adam's Creek and head for "1AC" a bit before turning to cross to Oriental.

As you get into Oriental, anchoring is going to depend on how crowded it is.    Can you clear the 45 ft bridge and anchor on the upstream side of the bridge?  One thing to note is that Red "8" marks the end (or near the end) of rock jetty, so that's a hard turn to starboard if you want to 'enter.'  Not bad, but sort of have an idea in your mind what it is before you get there.

I think there's a marina in the area across from the jetty and the dinghy dock is out there now too.  There has been some building there that is not charted (at least on my chart).

If the anchorage is not to your liking and you don't need to be near shore amenities at that point, do consider anchoring in South River (across and downstream...it's on the Adam's Creek side).  Getting in THERE is a bit tight, and Aids have been missing.  But once inside, there are MILES of anchorage, and a lot of it is undeveloped shoreline.  I've been in there a few times, and Keith rode out Irene in there.  If you want to go in there, I can send my own trick for getting lined up and picking out the Aids right (it's not a profound trick...but I have run in there in the dark).

Incidentally, too, I'm pretty sure Garbacon is pronounced "Gar-ba-shawn" not "Gar-bacon" as a lot of people would say it.  You do hear the latter, though, so ...   :D

Also, this might make a better stopping point for us than Beaufort, because of the crowded anchorage there. Will have to see how it plays out, but we should be in the area early next week.

I have not been down to Beaufort in a couple of months, actually, so I don't know how crowded it is right now.  Likely at least a TON of day traffic.

Again, if you don't need to be near the shoreside stuff or you don't mind a bit of 'travel' by dinghy (outboard powered?) to get to the "in area," you can anchor at Town Creek rather than the much more crowded Taylor Creek.  There's a ramp there (could sneak ashore and use the bathroom) and I believe there's a restaurant within walking distance, perhaps associated with Town Creek Marina.  It's called "Fish Tales."  Haven't eaten there, so can't remark, but the folks at the marina there were cool to Mario and Sherry a few years back.  (Fishy Tales is not on this list, though: http://carteretcatch.org/category/participating-restaurants/)

On your idea of sailing "outside" (The Sound) to Roanoke vs taking the ICW up...it's a great idea provided the weather is good.  Just watch the forecast on the Sound, and I like to look at the Offshore / Marine forecasts, too, as they give info for the Sounds that might be useful.  Seriously, anything over something around 15-20 knots for a day or two sustained is getting 'iffy.'  Maybe not a "no," but "merits serious thought."   ;D

And just so you know..our wx here lately has been WILD.  Hard, hard rain and crazy t-storms.  Watch the Sound and bigger river(s), even if they say "chance of rain 20%."  ;)

Hope that window stays open for you.  For your jump from Masonboro to Beaufort (posted for others here to see the forecast!):

Quote from: NWS

AMZ100-090715-  311 PM EDT FRI AUG 8 2014     

.SYNOPSIS FOR EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA COASTAL WATERS...  A STATIONARY FRONT WILL REMAIN OVER THE SOUTHEAST INTO EARLY NEXT  WEEK. AREAS OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE ALONG THE FRONT SATURDAY  THROUGH TUESDAY. THE FRONT WILL DISSIPATE BY MIDWEEK AS ANOTHER  FRONT APPROACHES FROM THE NORTHWEST.   

$$    AMZ158-090715-  S OF CAPE LOOKOUT TO N OF SURF CITY NC OUT 20 NM-  311 PM EDT FRI AUG 8 2014   

TONIGHT  NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING E 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2  TO 4 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD 5 SECONDS. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND RIVERS A  MODERATE CHOP. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS EARLY THIS  EVENING. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT...THEN A CHANCE  OF SHOWERS LATE. 

SAT  E WINDS AROUND 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD  9 SECONDS. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND RIVERS LIGHT CHOP. A CHANCE OF  SHOWERS. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE AFTERNOON. 

SAT NIGHT  SE WINDS AROUND 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD  9 SECONDS. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND RIVERS LIGHT CHOP. SHOWERS LIKELY  WITH A CHANCE OF TSTMS. 

SUN  SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD  4 SECONDS. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND RIVERS A MODERATE CHOP. SHOWERS WITH  A CHANCE OF TSTMS. 

SUN NIGHT  SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...DIMINISHING TO 5 TO 10 KT AFTER  MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND RIVERS A MODERATE  CHOP...DIMINISHING TO LIGHT CHOP AFTER MIDNIGHT. SHOWERS WITH A  CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE EVENING...THEN SHOWERS LIKELY WITH A SLIGHT  CHANCE OF TSTMS AFTER MIDNIGHT. 

MON  SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND  RIVERS LIGHT CHOP. SHOWERS LIKELY. 

MON NIGHT  E WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND  RIVERS LIGHT CHOP. A CHANCE OF TSTMS. SHOWERS LIKELY...MAINLY IN THE  EVENING. 

TUE  NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING SW 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO  4 FT. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND RIVERS LIGHT CHOP... INCREASING TO A  MODERATE CHOP. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS. 

WED  W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. ADJACENT SOUNDS AND  RIVERS A MODERATE CHOP. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS.    WINDS AND SEAS HIGHER IN AND NEAR TSTMS.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Also recall that Oriental has a free (space available) town dock, for cruisers, for a day or so.

Here's a link to the Town Dock cam. Couple of boats there now. I've stayed there several times, including once way back in the 80s on board my trimaran

http://www.towndock.net/harborcam/
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on August 08, 2014, 06:25:25 PM

Also recall that Oriental has a free (space available) town dock, for cruisers, for a day or so.

We docked the A-30 there once, but it was in January and not many folks around.  The Bean held no one (the best way to catch The Bean, in my opinion... :) ).

This time of year you may get a spot.  Luck of the draw.

Another possible "out" anchorage would be Back Creek off of Adam's Creek. I never anchored there, but have eyeballed it a few times.  Might be a touch thin for a 5 ft draft...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

w00dy

Our favorable south winds keep getting pushed back and so we are probably going to motor up to Beaufort/Oriental, starting tomorrow. I'll be sure to throw a few coins to the south wind though, and with luck we'll be sailing soon!

Captain Smollett

Met with the crew of Mona for dinner in Oriental and got the quick tour of their boat.

Nice company on a beautiful evening.

Fair winds as you head North, guys!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

w00dy

Likewise Capt. S and crew! We're sitting at the Bean this morning, paying bills and catching up with correspondence. Such a great spot here, but of course, when the wind blows, we must go! Will be posting more soon, once we reach Portsmouth.

CharlieJ

Ah the Bean. Yes, they are a really "different " group ;D  Been there 4 or five times now over the years.

That's not Mona at the town dock though- you must be anchored off. I'm looking at the harbor cam.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on August 12, 2014, 09:23:01 AM

That's not Mona at the town dock though- you must be anchored off. I'm looking at the harbor cam.

They were at the dock.  Harbor cam fine print says it was knocked out by lightning on 7 Aug, and the date stamp for the current picture is indeed the 7th.

Cool boat, by the way!  First time I was aboard one of them there Westsails. 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

CharlieJ

Ah thanks- I didn't notice that.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: Captain Smollett on August 11, 2014, 10:43:22 PM
Met with the crew of Mona for dinner in Oriental and got the quick tour of their boat. Nice company on a beautiful evening.
Good to see SailFarers getting together. Must have been a great time. I found myself returning to Google Maps to virtually experience these places from a distance...Pamlico Sound, Beaufort, The Neuse River, Oriental, New Bern, Belhaven, The Outer Banks...am again looking forward to getting down to that area.

w00dy

Very happy to have met some sailfarers and looking forward to more meet ups in the future.Of course, I have a special place in my heart for my fellow gulf coast boaties, grime and CJ. Miss you guys!

We spent a few relaxing days in Portsmouth and are heading out into the Chesapeake this afternoon. Hope to make it up to our old stomping grounds on the Choptank in a few days. If only Raylay would hurry up and get the engine bled...

Grime

A woman's work is never done.  ;D

Miss you too. No one to really visit with anymore. CJ doesn't come to the marina anymore. Guess he's working again.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

Yep- been in Rockport nearly all the time since last Sat, working on this one, East Texas the week before that.

Heading in in a few to see if the boat is still afloat!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera