News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Mona Eastbound

Started by w00dy, July 10, 2014, 02:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

We too will need to haul out some time this winter. Hope you're doing well, CJ.

We finally made it up to our old stomping grounds on the Chesapeake. Looking forward to meeting up with old friends, family, and spending some time lesiurely cruising around the bay. Not sure where we will head next/this winter, but for now, we're happy to be at anchor and are going to enjoy being relatively stationary for a while.

Here's Raylays newsletter of the last leg of our trip:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2X2Ngiy7psEQjd0SjlHMjhFSEdmZnI2YUtWNFFiSzlaYUpn/edit?usp=sharing

CharlieJ

I'd be better if I was out cruising too JW. Other than  that, doing fine.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Godot

Nice write up.

If you plan on sticking around the Chesapeake for awhile I'm sure we can meet up somewhere. I'm not against taking Seeker out to meet somewhere in the middle (although at this point I'm mostly restricted to weekends...I just blew pretty much all of my vacation time for the year). The SSCA has a gam in September in the Rhode River which I have enjoyed the past couple years. Costs a little; but the speakers tend to be pretty good and there is a heavy percentage of long distance cruisers (although the majority are in the retired age group).

As to descaling your engine, last year (I think) I built a little setup with an electric water pump, a Home Depot bucket, and some hose to flush my engine out when I was trying to figure out my cooling problem. I would be more than happy to lend you the setup. I used Rydlyme as a descaler. Seemed to work.

If you are planning on wintering in the Chesapeake, it shouldn't be hard to find a wet slip. I suspect my marina (Maryland Marina) would be pleased to have your business; but I can't speak to rates, and they are a bit of a walk to town (Middle River). I'm told that Annapolis City Docks has decent winter rates, November to April. Tidewater Marina's winter rates for a boat your length would be $1085-$1159 (is that affordable? It's a point of view thing, I guess). I do think that Annapolis would be a very decent place to winter, though. There might even be the opportunity somewhere of a job or two to replenish the kitty.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Thanks for posting this. Once again it was very enjoyable reading about your adventure.
If you ever get up this way & stop in Portsmouth/Kittery/or Newburyport area for a rest, love to buy you guys a beer.

Bob
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Godot

Met W00dy and RayLay in Baltimore yesterday. Good folks. Good luck in your voyage South!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

CharlieJ

REALLY great folks. They are REALLY missed here in Port Lavaca.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Aw shucks... :P Feeling's mutual Charlie  :'(

Mona in Canton, Baltimore, MD. We spent Halloween weekend here, waiting out a pretty good blow. Tried to shove off on Sunday but there wasn't any water left under our keel! Worked out splendidly as we got to hang out with Adam instead. The trend of SailFar members being awesome people continues! Looking forward to seeing you again on our way back through, Adam.

Monday, we sailed down the Patapsco, turned south and pulled a "U" back west up into the Magothy river. We're anchored well up the river near Cockey Crk. and rowed ashore to meet an old friend from my AT hiking days. Looks like light winds and sunny skies for a few days. Perfect for varnishing!

Should get going again in a few days. Will keep ya'll posted. Headed for Norfolk.

CharlieJ

Jealous  ;D ;D

Have a ball. And is that a smiling Rachel I see in the companionway?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Making our way back down to St. Micharls today. Warm and calm so were running the engine and charging the batteries. Should be crossing Knapps narrows at Tilghman soon and then we can raise sail. Gorgeous day!

CharlieJ

I've liked St Michaels every time I've been there. They were working on the Rosie Parks last I was there-new CB case, and stern post
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Good to see the photo of Mona there at the dock. The Jack-O-Lantern is a nice touch.  :)

Fair winds as you head South.

ralay

I'm resurrecting this thread for Charlie and any other interested folks.  We left New Bern, NC last Friday, bound for Boston.  We sailed out through the NC sounds via Manteo rather than up the ICW and are in Portsmouth, VA waiting on weather for an outside hop to Cape May, NJ and then NYC.

We've had a heck of a week weather-wise.  Today will be our 4th cold front with Gale force winds.  Seeing 40kts 4 times in one week is too many.  The boat, of course, is sailling great in 25 and 30kts, but I can't say it's not nerve racking.  We damaged our cruising spinnaker when we had to douse it during a sudden wind increase.  We've mostly been reefed right down, though, so I don't think the temporary loss of a featherweight sail will hurt us. 

We drank our coffee this morning with cruiser2B on the ferry landing and are trying to do our chores and research while hoping for a Sun-Tues window to make the run to Cape May.  Wish us fast passage and fewer gales.

CharlieJ

Been watching the weather over there.. Sure has been a bummer. Good luck ya'll.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bob J (ex-misfits)

My reply in post 43 still applies. You get to Boston let me know, love to meet you guys.
Bob
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Godot

It's been some interesting weather for sure. There's a gale warning in effect right now, and even the possibility of a little snow.

I don't know about the weather on Sunday; but you might be OK Monday through Wednesday if you are OK with some 30 knot gusts.  Personally, I'd want a little less in the forecast, especially this time of year. I don't really trust the forecasts too much. But I guess it depends how anxious you are to get North, and at least you have a solid boat. Maybe Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday would be better? Tuesday looks wet.

In any case, Fast Passage and Fewer Gales. It looks like I'll miss you on your trip north (I hope you aren't going outside to avoid me!!). Have fun.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Godot

(it just occurred to me that I essentially read you the weather forecast you doubtlessly already have read on your own...A silly thing to do.)
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

ralay

Yeah, we've both been sitting here reading the weather nonstop.  It's not a great weather report.  But that's what we've been getting for the last 5 rounds - very strong south winds then very strong north winds.

Bubba the Pirate

Wishing you a good weather window from one W32 to another.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ralay

We took the 30 kt gusts.  We made it from Portsmouth to Cape May (~160nm) in 29h.  It was COLD with only a tiny little bit of Moon before midnight.  We had to beat a little til the wind clocked and then rolled wildly as the swells built out of the South.  Today we were surfing them going 9-10 SOG and 7+ through the water.   We're anchored in front of the Coast Guard Training Center firing up the diesel heater.  Oh yeah.  North winds forecast at least til Fri, so we have an excuse to eat pancakes and rest. 

Godot

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"