News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Yanmar YSM 8

Started by Grime, July 31, 2014, 07:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okawbow

Have you checked the oil in the trans? It has a separate oil fill behind the motor. It should be filled with straight 30wt diesel grade motor oil. The motor also should use straight 30wt. The trans will not function properly with 10-30wt oil. My engine stopped using excess oil after running it about 12 hours a day for a couple days, motoring down the Tenn-Tom.

You can download a manual online            http://sailingboatefaki.gr/Engine%20Manuals.htm
The YSE8, YSM8, and YSB8 are basically the same engine.

You might want to suck out the trans oil, and refill with Rotella 30wt before you give up on it.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Jim_ME

Quote from: Grime on August 20, 2014, 01:19:07 PM
Monday I purchased a Suzuki 9.9 extra long shaft, ordered the remote controls and will remove the prop off the yanmar and go that direction. 
Best wishes for the direction that you've decided to go, David.

Grime

Quote from: okawbow on August 20, 2014, 02:20:13 PM
Have you checked the oil in the trans? It has a separate oil fill behind the motor. It should be filled with straight 30wt diesel grade motor oil. The motor also should use straight 30wt. The trans will not function properly with 10-30wt oil. My engine stopped using excess oil after running it about 12 hours a day for a couple days, motoring down the Tenn-Tom.

You can download a manual online            http://sailingboatefaki.gr/Engine%20Manuals.htm
The YSE8, YSM8, and YSB8 are basically the same engine.

You might want to suck out the trans oil, and refill with Rotella 30wt before you give up on it.

I change the oil in the transmission when we got back to make sure it was correct. It holds 24 oz. I use Delo 400 same as the engine. I have the manual on my laptop and also printed out all 197 pages. I also have a printed out copy of the parts manual that is very hard to read.

I've motor way more than 12 hours. In fact we motored 16 hour to Matagorda. No difference in oil usage.

Jim_ME  Thanks right or wrong I had to do something.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Jim_ME

Quote from: Grime on August 20, 2014, 03:35:26 PM
Jim_ME  Thanks right or wrong I had to do something.
I did support that it was always your call. Just putting what seemed to be options out there. Of course we all should to do what we think will work best for us. Anyway, it seems like you have kept your options open and enhanced them. You can always continue to work on your inboard (or look for a reasonable replacement motor/transmission for the longer term) while you use the boat. If you should decide that a different boat makes sense, (as you said) you will be able to sell it quicker and for a better price with a functioning motor of some kind.

s/v Faith

I love the simplicity of an outboard!

The very best of luck with your new motor.

Most transmissions have a "fork" in the shifter shaft (on the inside of the shaft that connects to the linkage).  It is possible that one of the forks is bent, or more likely that your shift linkage is out of adjustment... 

The oil problem is a bit tougher, I would suspect that much oil to be leaking rather then blowing past the rings.  It could be a relatively easy fix, but would take an actual mechanic rather then a parts changer...  A "rebuild" could be as simple as a leaking gasket...  Hard to trouble shoot over a computer.

Sounds like you have a good workaround in place, very best of luck to you!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Grime

More fun with the boat.    :-\  on using the new to me motor.

The Suzuki DF 9.9 is all changed over for remote control on the motor. From what I understood from the supplier the  remote kit came with a needed wiring harness. It did but not for the boat part.  So I emailed the supplier and ended up calling then. Why because in the email they told me I needed the control box and wiring harness.  Total cost at $900.00 

Lets see on total cost to change over to remote.

Motor  used                    $1550.00
Motor remote kit              $ 177.00  install cost $100.00  not included
Control box                     $ 686.00  Suzuki dealer said wiring harness will not work with out control box.
Wiring harness                 $ 211.00

Total cost                        $2624.00

To rebuild the engine and transmission would run almost the same.

Outboard going on craigslist today for  what I paid for it.  Boat will go on craigslist for what I paid for her. If I can't sell her as is then I'll strip her and donate the hull to Boat Angle.

I will not respond to the following.

We call some cars a lemon. Well what we have is a lemon in Miss Sadie. Its not because she is a boat and boats cost. Cars cost also. But when there is a never ending requirement to repair or replace then it becomes a lemon. I believe she came from the factory as a lemon.   Some cars spend more time with the dealer than the owner. 
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Godot

I believe you are right to sell the whole package.

Not because the boat is a lemon (what do I know? I haven't had to deal with it). But because you aren't enjoying yourself with her.

If it isn't fun, what's the point?
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Grime

Godot when one system is fixed then another pops up. There has not been any let up. Maybe she is not a lemon but has had a jinks put on her that's why I call her Pandora.

Maybe if I was one of those that loves to show off what they can rebuild then I would feel great about all the work I've had to do. But since this is not my cup of tea and we have never had the chance to enjoy her out on the water the cost of rebuilding one system after another has taken its toll.

I just hope that the lurkers reading this don't make the same mistake as I have.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Tim

I am not a superstitious type, but perhaps others will also be careful about naming their boat  :-[  I am sorry for your troubles with it and hope perhaps someday can find another that will work for you.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Grime

It wasn't until about a month ago that I started calling her Pandora. We thought we had give her a good name after Lisa's grandmother Miss Sadie. When I put the new name on her back in March of 2013 I found 2 other names not fitting for a boat.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Jim_ME

David, I don't know what your current plans are, but I just saw the ad in CL (below, Posted 3 days ago), which looked like it may be the same motor that we had seen an ad for some time back. Am posting it in case you may still be interested...

http://houston.craigslist.org/bpo/4897069132.html

Yanmar Sailboat Diesel Engine SB 8 - $1200 (north houston)
Selling a used 1 cylinder diesel Yanmar engine. Rated 7 HP 3200 RPM . Great shape. Feel free to come by and check it out . I also have one for parts. More info call or text. 281-830-8001 Pat

Jim_ME

Also saw this CL ad (Posted 23 days ago), should you still be interested in selling. Maybe you are close enough to Florida for a serious buyer to come get her and sail her back?

http://keys.craigslist.org/boa/4869466347.html

WTB WATKINS 27 SAILBOAT - $1 (Florida)
Im looking for a 1981-1983 Watkins 27 MkII sailboat. If you have one for sale or know of one for sale, please contact me via email in the contact button.

Jim_ME

And one more CL ad of a Watkins 27 for sale in your area...
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4841595148.html

With a 15 hp Honda outboard. Looks like an extra long-shaft model with a tiller and bracket that allows it to tilt up and rotate to be clear of the water. (Posting for your reference and comparison, including the price w outboard, $6k)

Grime

I have put Miss Sadie up for sale close to the price of the boat you posted. Health reason now have forced me the sell her. To much Agent Orange exposure.   
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Jim_ME

Best wishes with your boat plans, and especially for your health.

Hope that you will be able to get out on the water on another boat of your own, or a friend's, or both.

Fair winds,
Jim