New boat - Allegro 27

Started by SeaHusky, August 13, 2014, 02:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

Quote from: Tim on November 18, 2015, 07:08:02 PM
I like the layout, similar to what I did with the Ariel

http://www.pbase.com/morningdove/mariah&page=3

Tim, what kind of head is that?
It looks like a Porta Potti but is the hose for emptying or for ventilation?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Tim

It is a Dometic 965 MSD. There are two hoses plumbed to the outside, both emptying and ventilation

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

I have a Dometic also. Smaller model. Been very pleased with. Had it plumbed for pump out since 2010.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

Thanks!
I have the Dometic 972 but I didn't know they offered versions with plumbing. Can't seem to find them in Sweden either but it is a possible upgrade for the future.

CharlieJ

Quote from: SeaHusky on May 10, 2016, 03:51:43 PM
Thanks!
I have the Dometic 972 but I didn't know they offered versions with plumbing. Can't seem to find them in Sweden either but it is a possible upgrade for the future.

Don't know the model numbers on mine (papers on boat), but it "swings" either way  ;)

In the Bahamas I  had it set for dump over board, since there ARE no pump out stations, or there were none in 2010. Otherwise,, I switch it back.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

My vision was the possibility to either "pump out" or "carry out" depending on if there is a pump out station available or not but maybe that doesn't work?

Tim

Yes, you can do either. The connections are accessible on mine (just remember to keep the caps that come with handy).
There is a bracket that holds it down that comes off with two screws.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Quote from: SeaHusky on May 11, 2016, 04:00:36 AM
My vision was the possibility to either "pump out" or "carry out" depending on if there is a pump out station available or not but maybe that doesn't work?

Before I plumbed for pumpout, I found many places that frowned on carrying it to the head and dumping. I've been treated like a criminal in a few places. Some even had signs saying no porta potty dumping. And very few places that were set up for porta pottis. Can almost count on one hand here on the Texas coast, all the way to Annapolis.

Offshore it's legal to dump- East coast and Texas coast-3 miles out, Florida west coast- 9 miles

On the other hand pumpout stations are not hard to find, many are free, or a minimal charge. I've never been sorry I switched to pump out

Edited to add- I've looked into Composting heads, but they are all too tall. I'd have too rebuild my forward cabin to fit one in. NOT gonna happen ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

Yeah, its illegal to pump out in Swedish waters also so If you have a fix-mounted head it is mandatory to have it plumbed for pump out. That is why I went with a Porta Potti.
My marina doesn?t allow emptying of the Porta in the bathroom because of previous messes but we have a pump out station and are advised to use that for emptying the Porta. Just put it on the dock and stick the hose in. It just seems easier to have it plumbed like you have and not as prone to failure as most heads seem to be but my future home port will be a private mooring with no facility what so ever so I need the option to "carry out".

Jim_ME

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 11, 2016, 10:59:49 AM
I've looked into Composting heads, but they are all too tall. I'd have too rebuild my forward cabin to fit one in. ...

Charlie, maybe you could build a custom Low-profile version for smallish SailFar-sized boats?  :) 

CharlieJ

Quote from: Jim_ME on May 12, 2016, 02:56:52 PM
Quote from: CharlieJ on May 11, 2016, 10:59:49 AM
I've looked into Composting heads, but they are all too tall. I'd have too rebuild my forward cabin to fit one in. ...

Charlie, maybe you could build a custom Low-profile version for smallish SailFar-sized boats?  :)

Thought about it earlier, but I'm very happy with my Plumbed MSD. No smell, easy to use and I already own it :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

Back rest trial.
All comments and ideas are as always most welcome!

The back rest is held in place by four sliding bolt latches which double as hinges.

Folded down to give access to storage compartment.

Folded up to allow use of the full width of the mattress.

Another option is to fold it partly backwards, like the original design. This would reduce the storage volume behind the backrest but allow a sea birth using a traditional lee cloth. The original design did not allow access behind so that area was effectively wasted.

CharlieJ

Only problem I see is holding what ever is stowed behind that back in place when used like in third pic. What are you planning? Nets
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

I'm not sure. I was thinking maybe a plywood front with large cut-out openings, possibly with nets over the openings. What would you do?

Frank

Something like this could be easily made out of very light plywood....even thin mahogany underlay ply. On Allure I keep light weight items there...extra TP, paper towels, pillows etc. There was no need for netting as the raised edge seemed to hold everything in. Would be simple to make. Just a thought.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

SeaHusky

Thanks Frank! That is what I meant.
Do you have any sections or is it all one compartment?

Frank

All one
Stuff jammed in doesn't move. I guess it all depends what you plan on putting there. I keep heavy things under the settees and light items up in those pockets.
Your use may be different and deviders needed.
Nice to see yours coming together!
Have fun
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Capt. Tony

That is a sweet boat!  I somehow never made it past the Allegro 24, but the 27 footer looks like an ideal small boat cruiser.  Congrats to you.

SeaHusky

Thanks Tony!
Jut to clarify, I think you are confusing the "Allegra" by Fred Bingham and Lou Nagy with my "Allegro" by  Lars-Olof Norlin?

SeaHusky

Modern yacht care products are amazing! I was pretty sure that the state of my gelcoat was so bad that I would have to repaint the whole top side if I ever wanted it to look decent. Turns out it can be restored to look great for being 45 years old.