Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New boat - Allegro 27

Started by SeaHusky, August 13, 2014, 02:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

Hi all!
I haven't been here for a few months. Life happens and I have spent my time managing health issues, both mine and in the family, so no sailing this season either. The boat has been neglected for a while but I have finally got around to varnishing interior wood and started lining the hull.
Due to the hulls construction it has to be done in many small pieces so it will take some time.

I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

maxiSwede

Glad to hear you have again found some time for the boat.

Good luck with it, and most of all, good health!
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

SeaHusky

I seem to be repeating myself but.. progress is slow but steady.
The main part of the galley is don and I am working my way up the port side.

As photobucket have decided to start charging for their service I expect my images to disappear shortly so I am trying the "attachment option". We will see if it works. 

jotruk

s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

maxiSwede

Quote from: SeaHusky on August 14, 2017, 03:33:45 PM
I seem to be repeating myself but.. progress is slow but steady.
The main part of the galley is don and I am working my way up the port side.

As photobucket have decided to start charging for their service I expect my images to disappear shortly so I am trying the "attachment option". We will see if it works.

I am using Flickr since over ten years, there are other free options too!
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

SeaHusky

I have been able to put in some hours and it is finally starting to resemble a boat again.
I have been forced to stray somewhat from the KISS-principle. There was simply not enough room for a conveniently placed porta-potti so I have installed a pump out head with holding tank. I realized that the soundproofing of the engine compartment I had used, the foam with aluminum foil type, was so 1990:s and is actually scientifically incorrect so I ripped it out and replaced it with state of the art space age material (actually the space age was the 60:s and 70:s. Since then we have not gone past low earth orbit) which is a foam with a lead/bitumen backing that absorbs the vibrations in the bulkheads. Now starting on the V-birth with the intention of getting the whole hull insulated before it gets cold. This way I hope I can work on the interior all winter.

Frank

Will be nice if you get it insulated so you can continue wo4king on her.
How are ya insulating?
Where did you get the soundproofing?
And....pictures!!!
😄😄
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

SeaHusky

I hope the pictures in my last post are showing!?
I am gluing a 10mm closed cell foam mat to the GRP surfaces and covering that with a vinyl liner which has a 5mm foam backing. The decks and cabin top have a foam core laminate and I will cover the deck areas with a 6mm rubber/cork composite. I think she will be quite cosy.
The soundproofing is from a Swedish company  called Karnag.  http://karnag.se/ljudisolering.html

Frank

Yes....pictures show fine when you are on your thread.
Looking good.....and very 'tidy' for a work in progress.
Thanks for the link.

SeaHusky

V-birth coming along.
I made a sort of A-frame of wood resting on the hull reinforcing stringer and filled up the voids with foam which I then glassed over creating a flat ledge all around the hull which I can make a watertight seal against.
I also cut some holes for the windlass and chain locker. Always nervous to make big holes. Measure twice, have coffee and then measure again before cutting.

CapnK

Wow looking good. I like the idea you had to make a sealing surface in the v-berth.  8)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

Making progress.
Bow is duly compartmentalized (is that even a word?) and the electrical systems are coming together.

Frank

Looking good!

Sounds like a spelling bee word to me 😄

SeaHusky

A small update.
Everything takes much longer than anticipated. Dad says make an estimate and multiply it with pi, seems rather accurate. Working on the boat during winter is difficult so not much happening. Before it got cold I managed to complete the bunks in the V-birth. I got the hardware on the foredeck installed and also did a test with the cork-rubber composite on the foredeck and in the cockpit. It is an easy way to cover up the old, dirty, scuffed deck and both looks and feels great!
It does not stay cool in the sun as I had hoped but this is probably because I use the industrial quality with more rubber than cork while the ridiculously expensive yacht quality has more cork content.
The first picture is on its side...
That's 16 gallons of water under the V-birth. Not an ideal placement for weight but it makes for good floatation if I get holed in the bow. When I get time I will make an integrated water tank under the cabin sole. I estimate it will be around 20 gallons, exactly where I want the extra weight, and then the forward tank will be used mainly when I need to maximise the amount of freshwater carried.

CharlieJ

I have a 15 gallon flex tank of water under the V-Berth in Tehani she seems to  like it, Have another 25 gallon flex tank under the cockpit

Looking good by the way
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Wow, a tank with sensible access for inspection/cleaning - who'd have ever thought someone would start making that? :) Looks good.

As does the cork. Is the cork stuff UV rated, designed for constant exposure?
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

I thought I had posted this but I can't seem to find it so forgive me if I repeat myself.
At a farm a miles walk from where I live there has been this mystery boat that I have found very intriguing.
Yesterday I finally got to meet the owner.
The boat is a gaff rigged Colin Archer. 35' by 13'. GRP hull, one inch thick, 11 tons.
He is restoring it and plans to circumnavigate but going round Cape Horn rather than the Panama canal.

Bubba the Pirate

Love those Colin Archer lines; even from under a tarp!
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CapnK

That paint job looks very classic. Befitting. :)

She reminds me of "Fugacity", an old wooden ketch abandoned and slowly dying here in Georgetown. She was sailed over from the Olde Worlde on her own bottom. Like a museum inside...
(Note: Photo not mine; most likely originally by a gent named Ed Waldrop.)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

Here is a double ender challenge!
A Simrad TP32 tiller pilot is 595mm long.
It is to be mounted perpendicular to, and at a point 460mm from, the rudder axel.
(If you click the pictures they level)