Bahamas winter 2015 anyone?

Started by Frank, August 22, 2014, 08:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Several years ago there were 4 of us over there but we didn't all meet up. The Abacos are such an easy destination from Florida. Anyone have plans for this winter? Craig (Faith) and I got together a few times last winter. It would be great if a few of us ended up at a beach bonfire sharing an anchorage. Who's going across?
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

I wish, but it looks like maybe not til NEXT year. I hope.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Cmon Charlie! We'll go if you do!

Grime

Why put of to tomorrow with what you can do today CJ. You've got a boat that very seldom see you any more. Saturday night chat will survive without you. You aint getting any younger. 74 come February. You would never be more than a day away from an airport.  Lock the house up and go. 
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

Was going to do this as an edit- but a new post is better. So here's the original,, and the edit--

I wish, but it looks like maybe not til NEXT year. I hope.

Edited-

Ya know, I totally missed the 2015 in the subject Line. 2015 is when I'm sorta planning for, and what I meant by "next year".

I have two serious, and unavoidable, complications happening right now, that will tie me up til around Nov 1. After that, I can plan.

And GrimE- you are sadly correct. I HAVE been absent from Tehani FAR too much lately- THAT is soon to stop- Thanks for the wake up call.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

One never knows...I've seen windy and cool winters there BUT last January and February were simply beautiful!! Sunny, warm and great breezes for sailing! Throw in the blue/green water and beachs....COME ON OVER!!!

Grime

Quote from: CharlieJ on August 23, 2014, 12:30:08 AM
I have two serious, and unavoidable, complications happening right now, that will tie me up til around Nov 1. After that, I can plan.

Start your planning now so when Nov 1 comes along you are done planning. All you have to do is throw off the dock lines and head out.

Oh and I thought you were retired.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

w00dy

QuoteStart your planning now so when Nov 1 comes along you are done planning. All you have to do is throw off the dock lines and head out.

Oh and I thought you were retired.

Time to put the money where the mouth is, Mr. G. I bet that you could get there by then, even with a little ol' outboard!

Grime

Well Mr. Woody we never had plans on going to the Bahamas.  In fact there is to much to do and see on the great loop than going to some very expensive play ground.

There is no way we could think of leaving before Sept 17 for medical reasons and have to be back Nov 5 for more doctor stuff.

The boat will be ready with 9.9 outboard and beefed up transom by Sept 17.  So leaving of a 45 day cruise and then leaving the boat for 5 months in a marina not really worth it leaving now. For us leaving in the spring works out better.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

w00dy

QuoteWell Mr. Woody we never had plans on going to the Bahamas.  In fact there is to much to do and see on the great loop than going to some very expensive play ground.

Too true.

The boat will be ready with 9.9 outboard and beefed up transom by Sept 17.  So leaving of a 45 day cruise and then leaving the boat for 5 months in a marina not really worth it leaving now. For us leaving in the spring works out better.

I hear that. Winter is a great time to be sitting by the fire somewhere, not freezing your @$$ off with salt spray in your face. Unless you're in the Bahamas, I guess... Not sure where we will end up this winter yet. Bahamas sound nice, but after sailing all the way north, I'm not in much of a hurry to turn right around yet.

Frank

The Bahamas are like anywhere.....you can spend lots or just a little. Personal choices. Yep...there's the $150 cruising permit/fishing license combo and yes food/fuel is more expensive...but $150 permit fees for a 3 mth cruise in beautiful islands isn't too bad. Stock up before leaving...re-stock at the big food store in Marsh Harbor (more selection and better prices), anchor out and sail lots... ads to a pretty cheap getaway. You can blow a bundle on marinas and fuel no matter where you sail. You can't find these waters just anywhere...

CharlieJ

Quote from: w00dy on August 23, 2014, 11:13:40 AM

I hear that. Winter is a great time to be sitting by the fire somewhere, not freezing your @$$ off with salt spray in your face. Unless you're in the Bahamas, I guess... Not sure where we will end up this winter yet. Bahamas sound nice, but after sailing all the way north, I'm not in much of a hurry to turn right around yet.

Actually SW Florida, from say Tampa Bay south to the Keys, can have some of the finest cruising weather of the year during Nov, Dec, Jan.

The Punta Gorda area, and Pine Island Sound offers much to see.

You can also get real unlucky and freeze your A** off too, but that doesn't last long. I got caught in 2010 with a very rare freeze,  but in two weeks it was back to warmer.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Yes, we were in Apalachicola that Christmas and the nights were in the low 20s. Brrrr.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Bahamas, Frank. Also looking forward to a Sailfar meetup and campfire on the beach, but that could be just about anywhere. Let me know where its going down, and I'll bring some firewood!

Frank

I'm hoping to keep this as an "advice" and "who's going to go" thread, so all can keep in touch, share ideas and see where each other is. I'll be there over 3mths so the odds will be good of crossing paths with anyone going. Woody...keep in touch...Looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Bonzai

Just saw this thread.... u guys planning anything on this? I would be very interested in a multi-boat trip across.

Frank

No set plans...I "think" most that go don't have a set crossing date or schedule once there. It would be more of a "where are you now...where are you planning to go.....let's meet at ??" type thing. It's very hard to plan a crossing between different departure points and weather windows....schedules seldom work. Once there...it's easy to arrange a get-together.  Just my 1 1/2 cents  ;D

Bubba the Pirate

My current plan is to be out to somewhere between Charleston and Savannah, from the Great Lakes, by October 2015. As long as the cruising kitty holds out, I could be in the Bahamas that winter; sounds like a good idea. I need something to do until May 2016 when I'll haul the boat and travel overland back home for a niece's graduation party.

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank

Bubba...if you can make Ft Lauderdale...it's about a 12-14hr crossing to the West End...then your on the Bahama Banks. Easy stuff from there. Would be great to have a get together with a few of us!    ...CJ...are you listening :-)

Bubba the Pirate

The choice of Savannah is completely arbitrary. Not a bad stop if I need to work, but otherwise why not keep sailing down to the Ft. Lauderdale area. There are lots of places to work, but if this winter goes as planned I shouldn't need to work yet by then anyway.

If I keep my eyes on the prize.

It would be awesome to meet up as I've lurked around here so long.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

Savannah is NOT the greatest place as a cruiser. Hard to get up river, and not much  in there for sailors. Have to go to  either Thunderbolt  or on the creek south of there.

Further south would be better.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera