Adventures of Wild Blue

Started by Tim, September 11, 2014, 06:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Since this sub/topic is SB/LD (Small Boats Long Distances) I am going to go ahead and post about my current cruising in the PNW. It is after all a small minimalistic cruiser. If there is anyone that doesn't like that they can take it up with the management.  ;) :P

This boat was purchased specifically to cruise the Inside Passage and SE Alaska where currents and lack of wind make traversing the many narrows where current can be moving more than 10 knots with whirlpools and eddylines most difficult if not taken at slack.

Since Internet access is limited up here I will be posting one blog with links here to it. I will monitor the board though if there are any questions.

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.ca/
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

Thanks, Tim. I didn't know that you had a blog. Beautiful photos. 

Looking forward to following your cruise.

Wishing you good weather and safe passages.  :)

Tim

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Ramp up the  "pucker factor" a bit did it?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

W.A. Ward

Tim

W.A. Ward

Tim

W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

What an astoundingly beautiful setting!  Please do keep the pictures coming!

How are you finding the CD for livability?  What kind of distances are you choosing to travel each day and how does that work wrt yr fuel use / load?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Craig, the inside of this C-Dory 25 is downright roomy. The glass all around gives even a roomier feel. There is plenty of storage if you think wisely (small and simple).

We are both feeling that we could easily spend a couple of months cruising aboard this boat.

Regarding distances and fuel. Now that we are up in Desolation our cruising speed is 5to 6 knots, using 1 to 1.5 gal/hr

When we came over across the Georgia Strait and wanted to make time getting up here we went up on plane doing 12+ knots using about 6.5 gal/hr. We could get more out but the efficiency of mileage got hammered.

W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

I have always admired the CD, I have never been aboard.  I like that the space is mostly at "living room level"...  Especially nice on a rainy or cold day sitting and drinking a cup of coffee....

Do you sleep on the convertible bunk (dinette) or is there (as I suspect) a good size vberth?

How much fuel / water / days of provisions do you carry? 

Are there many towns or resupply points in your cruising area?

s/v Faith

From your blog;

Quote... leaving the anchorage to us which we continued to have to ourselves the rest of the day. The privacy enabled swims with  swim step showers afterwards.  (Photo deleted)....

Wise man.  ;)

s/v Faith

Nice blog by the way, getting a lot of questions answered there.

Looks like a beautiful trip! 

Tim

We do sleep up in the V-Berth, which is quite wide, but still going to be tight length wise for anyone over 6' I think. Water tankage is 24 gal, which is why I carry a 6 gal can, but up here water is plaetiful so I probably won't ever use it. The 25 carries a 100 gal fuel tank. As far as provisioning, we put up enough food for 3 or 4 weeks out easily, though we do use a lot of dehydrated food. We come up here in the fall and many of the resort type marinas close up or have very little to offer. But with a little planning, provisioning at the local towns is easy for more extended stays.

W.A. Ward

Tim

W.A. Ward