Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Siedlemann 25'

Started by solodare, September 16, 2014, 06:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solodare

Hello,
I dont know a dang thing about sailboats! I have never even been on one. I was hoping to get some feed back from you guys about this boat. Theres one in my area thats in really rough shape. the folks are asking 595 bucks for it. Its on craigs list in charlotte nc if you want to look at whats left of it. seems to be floating. ;)
Any way, If you have the time and want to talk, I would love to chat about the under taking of a project like this. The boat its self,
Like I said , I know less than nothing about sailboats so take it easy on the new guy please!
thanks
The More I Learn The Less I Know.

Grime

Unless you have a love for rebuilding thing and a endless supply of money then go far it. If not run like there is no tomorrow. They are wanting you to pay them to haul off their junk.

Want to get into sailing there are some Catalina 22's on that same craigslist that would make great starter boat without a great deal of money. 

Just my nickels worth

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

solodare

thanks, I look at the Catalina's, but did you see the San Juan's? how are they? theres a 23 and a 24 foot.
Ill go look at the Catalina's.
Thanks again!

Grime

I might look the 23 San Juan over but not the 24. The motor on the 24 is worth what they are asking for the whole boat. That tells me to watch out. What are they hiding. 

Best bet is to get a Catalina 22 for a fair price. Learn to sail. 

Our first boat was a Starwind 22. The 22's are great to learn on and not that costly to operate and care for.

If you are not in a hurry to buy we will be over in North Carolina in October. We could meet up and look over a few boats if you like. Send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Taking a road trip.
David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

solodare

Grime,
Thanks for the offer, I would love any help i could get!!,
The Catalina 22 is growing on me fast.

solodare

I also see a Mac 22 but it has a swing keel. are those really as bad as I have heard?

Grime

I don't know anything about the Mac 22. The Catalina 22 has a swing keel same with my Starwind 22. Never heard of them being bad. Maybe some of the others here would chime in on the subject.

Something that would really help you is taking the ASA 101 class. I'm sure there would be a sailing school there. 
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

solodare

OH. so a swing keel could be described as a retractable keel? thats what the add for the cat described it as.

Norman

Welcome aboard, Solodare!

I sail a lot on a Catalina 22, and own a Macgregor 22, both swing keel and about 2000 pounds.  Both very good boats to learn to sail on, and reasonably easy to handle under most conditions.  The Catalina is to be preferred if you intend to sail out of a slip, the Mac if off a trailer, as it is much easier to rig for launch.

The interior fit, finish, and quality of a Catalina is superior to the Mac, and cruising on the Mac requires much more of a camping outlook than the Catalina, but both have poor accommodations for cooking and dishwashing.  I have cruised many hundreds of miles, and spent over 20 nights aboard in the last couple of years in my Mac, and continue to enjoy it, but a Catalina would be nicer and more comfortable.  I sail off a trailer, so the much more complicated and demanding routine of properly raising and tuning the rig on a  Catalina is not appealing in the big picture.

A swing keel is very forgiving for new sailors, as going aground on anything but rocks is usually a minor event.    They also allow beaching on soft or sandy shores without damage and will float in less than 2 feet of water.

Both 22's sail well, and handle a fair amount of wave size safely, and can be great fun in strong wind in protected water.

The price of a boat that needs a lot of work to put it in shape is illusory.  When I bought my fixer upper Mac, I thought it a better deal than I see now, as compared to the Catalina for 2 times as much, ready to sail, no trailer.  The Catalina was worth the extra in many ways, if I had planned to slip the boat.  The wish that I had bought the Catalina disappeared after taking down and re raising the mast on a Catalina, and finding how time consuming it was.

Either one is a fine starter boat, and much more forgiving of mistakes than a larger boat.

Norman

solodare

Norman, Thanks so much for your post!
It looks like I don't have as much an option as I had a few days ago. I had a  financial issue and had to spend half my boat money on other things. I do still have a nice Mac 22 that I can get with the money I have left. I'm actually hoping to go look at it tomorrow or Saturday.
   I will be launching from trailer so I'm glad I choose the Mac (or the mac choose me)  ;D  I had concerns about having to lower the mast so much. But it sounds like it was designed with trailer launching in mind?
  I have a cabin on the lake here but my dock doesn't have a slip. I think with the lake traffic and all the wakes that if I tied it to the dock it would most likely rip the dock out of the ground. So i will definitely have to launch from a trailer.
  I'm not to worried about the interior finish as I just want to learn on this boat and then move up to a slightly bigger boat. I will worry about the finish on the next boat. So i would prefer a nicer finish but its not that big a deal yet.
It sounds like I'm making the right move for my needs with the Mac! I'm getting really excited! I think I have all the bases covered!! Oh... well... of course I still don't know how to sail.... :o .
Thanks so much for the post again! Any chance I could possibly bother you with a few more questions over a PM?

Norman

PM any time.  What year is the Mac?

Norman

solodare

its a 77 MacGregor Venture 22. but im having trouble finding that boat on the database?
i think it may be a 222? idk

Norman

My "Mac" came with both a Mac and a 222 sail, and there is a Mac at the marina with a window forward of the mast that mine does not have, but about the same year.  Not a lot of difference.  My question was to see what general vintage boat you were looking at.  Depending on the condition, whether it has a good motor (not neccessarily new), and trailer, the price should be modest.  Mine was on the market with a nearly rust free trailer, 4 stroke reliable old Honda 7.5 motor at $3,000 for a short time, and did not sell, events changed my desire to sell at that time, and I am glad to still have it.

Try to get the seller to take you for a sail on the Mac/Venture/222 to see how he rigs and raises the mast et cetera.  Then when you come back in, diligently check for any water in the bilge.  A small amount is not a deal killer.  A sail on a boat brings out the best and worst points, especially if some critical part is missing or broken.  It is dificult to try to learn to sail on a boat with an essential part missing that you are unaware of needing.  If there is a missing part, and the owner has a workaround, then you know how to sail it as is, very valuable information, not always available after the sale is complete.

Norman

solodare

After doing a little more research. The only clue I have is that it has a V22 sail so until I can talk to the guy Ill just assume thats what it is. (He is out of town)
It has a trolling motor which seems fine to me for lake use. the price reflects that. I see the same boat for 1000 or 1200 more with a motor. but there old 2 strokes which I have never cared for. Im hoping you guys arent going to say that trolling motors dont work for this boat.(fingers Crossed) there fine right?...right?

Grime

I can't say if a trolling motor will work or not. What would concern me would be if I needed to get to shelter and the motor ran out of battery.

If you keep a watch on craigslist you could pick up a good used 4 stroke for a reasonable price. My 5hp 4 stroke Tohatsu cost me $450.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

solodare

That sounds like a good idea. Ill keep my eye out. Assuming this guy ever calls me back. MAN you sailing guys aren't in any hurry to get rid of your boats are you! ;).
       Actually, I asked a guy to day for some pics of a 1979 25' Buccaneer he had listed for 800 bucks, After I learned it had no engine and no trailer I told him it wouldn't work for me. He dropped the price to $500 bucks on the spot told me I could have all the pylons I needed for mooring it and offered to let me keep it at his place for 60 days. he wanted it gone. Any way if any ones interested I could give you the info. i have no idea what the sails or rigging are like.. he actually said his neighbor gave it to him so I don't think he ever used it.  IDK. Just thought i would offer...

sorry Lake Norman, NC

CharlieJ

Relative location would help :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

solodare

jotruk

I owned a bayliner buccaneer and you don't want one!! It is only good for a place to take up space at the dock. You will spend as much time sailing side ways and backwards as farward on it. You don't want one!!
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Grime

If I remember correctly there is one here in the marina. Down right butt ugly.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27